11 Years of Seniority lost

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
Texas
I became a dish customer in 2000 when I lived in Maryland. I moved in 2003 and utilized dish movers to relocate my account and equipment to Missouri.

I am in the military, so in June 2011 I moved to Texas, but my family remained at my Missouri address. When I arrived to Texas, I wanted to ensure I remained with Dish and ordered services for my new address, but was forced to open a new account, and I ended up with two accounts.

In late July my family moved from Missouri to Texas and I called Dish to move my services and utilize dish mover to move my equipment and account. However, I was then told that I could not have two accounts under the same address. I wanted to keep the seniority I had with Dish so I asked for them to keep my older account, but the new account was kept instead.

Now I am being recognized as a new customer and would have to pay $700 for an upgrade to Hopper and Joey. Not very happy about this, but even more upset that I lost all those years and the fact that a CSR stuck it to me nicely.

Even DIRT members on here told me I can't get my old account or seniority back.

Ridiculous. Can DIRT maybe get the upgrade price down to something reasonable, such as $100?

I left Dish two years ago, and just came back for the Hopper/Joey for $0 as a new customer. Sometimes seniority is a disadvantage.

I had a similar situation when I moved in 2007, except I had opposite results. I called up to have a Dish Mover done to my new house (5 miles away), but I explained that I wanted the service at my old house extended as I was still doing work on it to get it ready to put on the market. They set up a new account for me at the new house, complete with a new customer DHA promotion, and then 4 months later, I closed the old account. Apparently because I didn't have land lines at either house and used the same cell phone number and name for both accounts, somehow they were linked (for a while when I would call Customer Service and give them my account phone number, they would inadvertently pull up the closed account). AFAIK, I kept my years of seniority and good standing as a long-time customer. However, I agree that seniority doesn't mean much in the eyes of Dish.

Hey PM me, I think I can help.

I became a dish customer in 2000 when I lived in Maryland. I moved in 2003 and utilized dish movers to relocate my account and equipment to Missouri.

I am in the military, so in June 2011 I moved to Texas, but my family remained at my Missouri address. When I arrived to Texas, I wanted to ensure I remained with Dish and ordered services for my new address, but was forced to open a new account, and I ended up with two accounts.

In late July my family moved from Missouri to Texas and I called Dish to move my services and utilize dish mover to move my equipment and account. However, I was then told that I could not have two accounts under the same address. I wanted to keep the seniority I had with Dish so I asked for them to keep my older account, but the new account was kept instead.

Now I am being recognized as a new customer and would have to pay $700 for an upgrade to Hopper and Joey. Not very happy about this, but even more upset that I lost all those years and the fact that a CSR stuck it to me nicely.

WoW! you can buy one for $600.on EBay,then you "own" it(no commitment).;)

I'll take a look at Ebay, cuz I just got another DIRT member tell me the same $700 with a 24 month commitment for 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys (for 5 HDTVs I have in my home)

11 years or 1 year is all the same to Dish! They don't care about you, only your monthly payment.

100% correct, seniority doesn't mean anything, if you are late with 1 payment, you are screwed, probably for ever. I am with Dish only for 1 year and was offered an upgrade to 1H/1J for $100.

Last edited:
I did an online chat last night to check on 6months of Hbo for $8.00 a month. When I was finished getting the promo , I asked how much to upgrade to 1 hopper and 2 joeys, just to see what they would charge. The csr said it would be $100.00 to upgrade. I said you mean to install it right? He said , yes if you don't add the protection plan. If I added the protection plan I would not be charged for the install at all. So $100.00 to upgrade period. I of course asked if that price would go down any time soon , and he said it could go down in the near future . So I made a copy of the chat , so I could use it if I wanted to upgrade someday. I won't be interested unless it has ota support and 2 hopper integration, and of course all the bugs, glitches and flubs fixed. Maybe by then it will be even cheaper to upgrade.

Well I am glad to report that I was able to speak with a member of the executive team and they helped resolve the problem for me and gave me a great deal on an upgrade package to 2 hoppers and 3 joeys.

MikeD-C05 said:
I did an online chat last night to check on 6months of Hbo for $8.00 a month. When I was finished getting the promo , I asked how much to upgrade to 1 hopper and 2 joeys, just to see what they would charge. The csr said it would be $100.00 to upgrade. I said you mean to install it right? He said , yes if you don't add the protection plan. If I added the protection plan I would not be charged for the install at all. So $100.00 to upgrade period. I of course asked if that price would go down any time soon , and he said it could go down in the near future . So I made a copy of the chat , so I could use it if I wanted to upgrade someday. I won't be interested unless it has ota support and 2 hopper integration, and of course all the bugs, glitches and flubs fixed. Maybe by then it will be even cheaper to upgrade.

Waiting till all the bugs and glitches to be resolved? You will be waiting till 2020. Lol

Waiting till all the bugs and glitches to be resolved? You will be waiting till 2020. Lol

Possibly. But I am hoping that by next year it will be more stable and usable. DISH seems to be putting everything they have into the hopper. They have to make it work , it is their future, unlike the 922 which has become DISH's defunct past.

I thought the 942 was Dishes Edsel.

The 942s were nice receivers. I had two of them. They basically became the blueprint for the 622/722/722ks. They are defunct but only because of the Tivo lawsuit. They joined the other defunct receivers like the 921s, 811s, 721s,501s,508s,510s, the 7100/7200 webtv/dishplayers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts