12/08/08 Charlie Chat Will be Deal Breaker !

IIRC, the Charlie Chat in March was a few days before AMC14 launch...where I believe Charlie announced all sorts of upcoming HD...and now we have a CChat tonight and Ciel 2 launch on Wednesday...what are the odds.........?

I don't know how much Ciel-2 will have an impact on national HD. it take 2 (slots) to tango. More space on Ciel-2 has to be matched at 61.5. There is a bunch of international still there which can be removed, but that will take time to repoint people to 118.7.

IIRC, the Charlie Chat in March was a few days before AMC14 launch...where I believe Charlie announced all sorts of upcoming HD...and now we have a CChat tonight and Ciel 2 launch on Wednesday...what are the odds.........?
That's what I've been thinking... Here's a list of 30 some odd channels, "you will get most of these soon". (takes a drink) ;)

:D
Jim Mentions that AMC14 will be launching tomorrow (I thought it was Friday) and to carry around your lucky charms tomorrow.
OK, who forgot their lucky charms???

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty happy with Dish. Coming from Comcast may expain it. With Comcast I had my own CableCard and DVR and I was still paying nearly $80 for the same number of HD channels I get with Dish for $40 which also happens to include an HD DVR.
Customer service isn't as good, but outages are a rarity. Comcast was always going down or doing some sort of upgrade. It's also nice to get a year of Cinemax in HD (many more HD than Comcast there as well) and introductory HBO and Starz.

I'm new at this, will the Charlie chat be on tv or can you listen to it somewhere?? thanks mitch

I'm actually pretty happy with Dish. Coming from Comcast may expain it. With Comcast I had my own CableCard and DVR and I was still paying nearly $80 for the same number of HD channels I get with Dish for $40 which also happens to include an HD DVR.
Customer service isn't as good, but outages are a rarity. Comcast was always going down or doing some sort of upgrade. It's also nice to get a year of Cinemax in HD (many more HD than Comcast there as well) and introductory HBO and Starz.

I had Comcast when I lived in Boston as well. The HD offering was pretty awful in comparison to Dish; and my experience with customer service was not as rosy as yours.

Eitherway, when I moved here to Dallas, I got Time Warner, and I was horrified that the "home of free HD" was only home to like 15 HD channels! :eek:

I couldn't believe I had found a worse offering than Comcast! So I promptly (read, three months of horrible frustration) switched to Dish and have been very happy. Being a new Turbo subscriber, I haven't yet started to moan about the HD yet, but that may change soon... ESPNU!!!!!

I had Comcast when I lived in Boston as well. The HD offering was pretty awful in comparison to Dish; and my experience with customer service was not as rosy as yours.

Eitherway, when I moved here to Dallas, I got Time Warner, and I was horrified that the "home of free HD" was only home to like 15 HD channels! :eek:

I couldn't believe I had found a worse offering than Comcast! So I promptly (read, three months of horrible frustration) switched to Dish and have been very happy. Being a new Turbo subscriber, I haven't yet started to moan about the HD yet, but that may change soon... ESPNU!!!!!

I've got friends who moved from Peabody to Austin. I've heard their HD horror stories.

Comcast just jacked rates 5% in December and are spposedly bumping them up again in February.

The only thing I like about Comcast is customer support is located in a call center within 30 miles of my house. And they are available 24/7. Of course it sucks when they take 6 months to fix yoru problem, then abother 3 months to bury the cable. My lawn is still a mess.

Dish is just a poorly managed company. I followed the V word to them. The CSR problems, the programming issues, the low quality in corporate ops makes it very hard hard to stay. DVR is nice, but I think I'm smart enough to make any other work for me. I'm not worried about the learning curve.

Dish has always operated with the philosophy of flash, short term minded decisions. Churn reflects their commitment to the consumer needs. There's always a new deals with ever changing pricing tiers, or new gadgets and special programming that if they finally become reality are far from what was promised.

I've been waiting for the Uverse option to hit my neighborhood but yet after tonight and the Charlie Chat if there is nothing earth shaking at the point in broken promises, by year's end I'll finally have to move on. Unverse or not. It's a value for product issue.

I was mad as all get-out at E* for not getting FoxNewsHD back in late Oct & early Nov. Still am aggravated a little. If D* had a dual tuner STB, I'd probably go ahead and pull the trigger, but they don't, so I'm here for now.

Once you lower your expectations for E*, it's pretty hard to get too emotional when they twittle their thumbs. I have absolutely no expectations for new HD this month, although a surprise would be great.

Dish's constant practice of falling short of their own stated promises has left me a disappointed customer after six years with them. I have decided that no matter what they say they will be providing in the future, they will probably provide less, in my opinion. That is what I view as their obvious track record.

Then there is customer service, and the incredible difficulties one can encounter if they are so unlucky as to have an equipment failure. My replacement 622 still will not record off-the-air-programs marked as "new", or "once" and as far as I can determine, Dish has never admitted that many began to have this problem after a software upgrade last summer.

Maybe if by the time my contract expires in February they will come through on fixes and on promises made months ago, but even then I will look at the situation very closely before deciding to remain with a company that I think plays games with loyal customers and basically disrespects that loyality by often treating new customers better than long term ones.

This just in: One of the Temp channels is going to be mapped down to channel 101 for the first ever HD Charlie Chat!

kidding of course

I'm sure we'll have more fun in the Charlie Chat Chat than actually watching the real thing.

I think eveyone is setting themselves up for the biggest letdown yet. Harv

Nah. Seems like there have been a few where we all thought it was going to be big big big and nothing happened.

I expect something to be announced, but nothing earth shattering. And I don't think anyone will be surprised if it's another big bust.

Twitter / dishnetwork

Sounds like Charlie is filling up the program with interviews.

A Mark Cuban interview
A Maria Bartiromo interview
A Rachel Maddow (ew is all I have to say) interview

I'm sure they will talk about the Ciel-2 launch Wed. Probable more promoting of the DTVPal et. al. and the new Slingbox products.

Sounds like there will be plenty to talk about without talking about new programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts