129 concerns

skierrob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
I had a 622 and Dish 1000 installed yesterday. YAY!

A few questions (ok, *several* questions):

:)

1. After the installer left, I tried to tune to my HD locals. Couldn't pull most of them in. I determined I was only getting a signal strength of 34 - 59 on transponder 8 of 129, but was getting 50-60 on other transponders. Was also getting 85-90 on 110, and 90-95 on 119. I'm in the Los Angeles area. After Dish Network told me they couldn't send another person out until Sunday, I went up to the roof and moved the dish slightly on my own. This resulted in transponder 8 of 129 now getting a strength of 55 - 67 (55 with foggy skies this morning). Other transponders on 129 now get 58 - 72. Still get 85 - 90 on 110 ... 119, though, has dropped to 85 - 90 strength. So.... is it still worth it for someone to come out to re-point my Dish on Sunday? Note that I have NO obstructions from my roof to the sky.

2. One local PBS affiliate in the Los Angeles area is KOCE channel 50. They show different programming on their SD channel than on their HD feed. I'm getting the HD feed via an off-air antenna. Dish Network shows the same programming on the HD feed as the SD feed. That is incorrect. I thought maybe they couldn't tell the difference, but another PBS station -- KCET 28, has different programming on their SD and HD channels and Dish Network's program listings correctly show the different programming on those channels. So, what's the best way to get someone to fix the isuse with KOCE 50? I called Dish Network, but they said they "don't control the guide". Huh?

3. Listings for the travel channel seem to be way incorrect. However, this doesn't seem to be related to only Dish Network. I see the same listings on titantv and tvguide.com. The Travel Channel website has correct listings, though. Does anyone know if this has been an issue for a while? Or just a glitch?

4. Finally, I'd like to know what happens if I stop paying for locals. Will I still get guide data for my OTA stations, or will that guide data stop filling in? With my OTA antenna, I get perfect reception of all my local stations, so right now I'm basically paying $5 a month just to get listings.

Thanks,
Robert

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts