129 Satellite Bandwidth issues?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
Normally I use my OTA antenna for the local Fox affliliate (fox9 in mpls/st.paul), but for some reason tonight I was seeing some glitches, so I thought I'd see how it was doing on the Dish HD feed. I get this feed off the 129 statellite. Low and behold it looks to be extremely poor quality. The image is dark, and detail is extremely low. Shocking how poor the quality is.

Anyone else seeing this on Fox9, or other channels on 129?

Normally I use my OTA antenna for the local Fox affliliate (fox9 in mpls/st.paul), but for some reason tonight I was seeing some glitches, so I thought I'd see how it was doing on the Dish HD feed. I get this feed off the 129 statellite. Low and behold it looks to be extremely poor quality. The image is dark, and detail is extremely low. Shocking how poor the quality is.

Anyone else seeing this on Fox9, or other channels on 129?
Are your other locals( most likely coming from the 129 as well) doing same?
Could be problem at the Telco POP...You're gonna say WTF?...
Here's how it works....Each TV station's signal is received over the air via antenna. In many cases that antenna is at a telco Point of Presense( POP)...IN this building there is equipment whuich takes the tv signal and "hands" it off to a rack which has 'cards' in a rack . these cards interface with the telco's fiber optic long distance system. The sigs are sent to a Dish Network Uplink Center. And so on to their customers....
Now, there could be an issue with one the cards at the POP...Or a transmitter problem from your Fox 9...

Its from Fox9 (what else is new).....
OTA looks like mush...Directv doesnt look the best either
Sadly the 480i widescreen version I can pick up OTA from Mankato (KEYC-DT2) looks better than Fox 9 right now
(I have Duluth locals on Dish and KQDS Fox 21 looks fine)

Usually when I see Fox9 issues, it's them forgetting it's HD, and running the SD feed on it. The HD feed over the air was a bit poor quality. Was thinking Fox was trying to hide the age spots on some of the Glee group by softening up the focus of the HD cams. But the dish feed was way poor quality.

Yes, I'm aware that many of the local stations are picked up via OTA antennas and then encoded and sent to dish, where they re-encode and beam up. And when I spot checked some of the others, they didn't look particularly high quality, but not the same issues as the Fox feed. My guess is that for Mpls/St.Paul dish picks them all up from the same places since nearly all of our local transmitters are in one place.

My guess is that for Mpls/St.Paul dish picks them all up from the same places since nearly all of our local transmitters are in one place.
correct. All of the Mpls locals are harvested at the same location

I know in some cases both Dish and Directv use the same facilities.....by the way here is the location for DIrectv facilities here in Mpls (its on DIrectv site...Dish has nothing on their site)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 84

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)