Dual Tuner SD DVR -> Dual Tuner HD DVR?

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
I currently have a 512 Dual Tuner SD DVR (installed Aug 2011) and I'm going to need a Dual Tuner HD DVR, what are my options? Will the dish/LNBF upgrades made in Aug need modifications.

I looked on Dish.com and the 722 will work, I only need a single HD feed. Are their older model DT DVR's out there that Dish is likely to send me? Or do I go on eBay and buy something else?

Also, I currently have the Welcome/Essentials package, will I receive any HD from that, like locals, or must I upgrade to an HD package?

Thanks

BTW, the 512 was a huge upgrade from my ~10 YO 501 DVR, the 512 actually works.

I currently have a 512 Dual Tuner SD DVR (installed Aug 2011) and I'm going to need a Dual Tuner HD DVR, what are my options? Will the dish/LNBF upgrades made in Aug need modifications.
the dual tuner options are 612, 622, 722 & 922. All have dual HD inputs. The 612 has only one output (think your 512 but has HD capable). The 622/722 can output 2 different shows but the 2nd tuner is SD only
I looked on Dish.com and the 722 will work, I only need a single HD feed. Are their older model DT DVR's out there that Dish is likely to send me? Or do I go on eBay and buy something else?
Are you replacing the 512 or adding on? Adding on would be $10 regardless of what you take. The most expensive receiver would be free. So a 722 would be free on the account (no add'l fee) and the 512 would be $10. If you went with a 612 they are $10 too so its a wash

Also, I currently have the Welcome/Essentials package, will I receive any HD from that, like locals, or must I upgrade to an HD package?
with the Welcome Pack you get your locals in HD (if available) and any freeview channel that broadcasts in HD. No HD can be added to WP (I have that package too)
If you want more HD then you must upgrade.

Iceberg,

the dual tuner options are 612, 622, 722 & 922. All have dual HD inputs. The 612 has only one output (think your 512 but has HD capable). The 622/722 can output 2 different shows but the 2nd tuner is SD only
Ah ha, didn't understand that distinction. I assumed they all showed but one output, like my 512. I do not need two different outputs, so long as both inputs will record HD simultaneously. Therefore, I believe the 612 or any of the superior models would all work.

Are you replacing the 512 or adding on? Adding on would be $10 regardless of what you take. The most expensive receiver would be free. So a 722 would be free on the account (no add'l fee) and the 512 would be $10. If you went with a 612 they are $10 too so its a wash
Yes, replacing the 512. My 501 to 512 was a deal with the devil. I use to "own" the 501, the 512 is leased with a one year credit. After the one year I'll see an additional fee, ~$6/mo, I honestly don't remember. Given that I'm replacing and I swapped in August 501->512, what is the best option for my situation? Would seem the 722, since I'm paying the lease fee and it has the bigger HDD. The 922 with sling will never work for me, I turn off, inline switch, ALL devices with ghost loads whenever I'm not using them or gone from the house.

with the Welcome Pack you get your locals in HD (if available) and any freeview channel that broadcasts in HD. No HD can be added to WP (I have that package too)
If you want more HD then you must upgrade.
Good, that's what I was hoping for. Will add programming between now - spring - or never, depending on how wowed I am with HD.

Many thanks for the insightful questions and reply. :)

Iceberg,

Ah ha, didn't understand that distinction. I assumed they all showed but one output, like my 512. I do not need two different outputs, so long as both inputs will record HD simultaneously. Therefore, I believe the 612 or any of the superior models would all work.
I've heard issues with the 612 a while ago but I think the bugs are worked out...I'd read some posts on the 612 to verify

Yes, replacing the 512. My 501 to 512 was a deal with the devil. I use to "own" the 501, the 512 is leased with a one year credit. After the one year I'll see an additional fee, ~$6/mo, I honestly don't remember. Given that I'm replacing and I swapped in August 501->512, what is the best option for my situation? Would seem the 722, since I'm paying the lease fee and it has the bigger HDD. The 922 with sling will never work for me, I turn off, inline switch, ALL devices with ghost loads whenever I'm not using them or gone from the house.
I forget the 922 is right now not available until they fix the blockbuster thing. The 722 can work in both single mode (like your 512 and a 612) or dual mode where you could watch stuff on two different TV's. Both will record HD just fine. The other difference is if you want to record over the air programming
The 612 and 722 both have a OTA input so you could record one OTA and 2 sat programs at the same time
The 722k (note the K) required a separate OTA tuner to slide into the receiver but that would give you 2 OTA recordings (along with the 2 sat connections) at same time
But if you dont use OTA then its a moot point ;)

Both have a $6 DVR fee.

Now there is another option. The 211k is a single sat tuner (plus an OTA tuner). It can do HD also. There is not a hard drive in it but for a one time $40 fee you can turn it into a DVR. And there is NO DVR fee. That is what I have so my bill is like $16 a month (14.99 for WP + taxes). The only drawback is if you're use to recording one show and watching another or recording two shows same time this would be a step back as there is only one satellite tuner.

But if you dont use OTA then its a moot point ;)
Honestly don't know. I gave up on OTA ~13-years ago. If it worked, the signal was dreadful. When I got Dish, I was just amazed at the digital signal quality. Now that analog is gone, I don't know if OTA is even possible. There would have to be a federal subsidy to make it happen. I live in a 100 square-mile mountain valley with 22,000 people, so no economic incentive to do OTA.

Now there is another option. The 211k is a single sat tuner (plus an OTA tuner). It can do HD also. There is not a hard drive in it but for a one time $40 fee you can turn it into a DVR. And there is NO DVR fee. That is what I have so my bill is like $16 a month (14.99 for WP + taxes). The only drawback is if you're use to recording one show and watching another or recording two shows same time this would be a step back as there is only one satellite tuner.
Appreciate the thought, but now that I've had dual-tuner for several months, it's worth $6.

Sure glad I posted, learned a lot.

Thanks

About the ghost loads. I hope you don't "unplug" every night. You'll need the occasional overnight powered on, to download EPG data and firmware updates.

About the ghost loads. I hope you don't "unplug" every night. You'll need the occasional overnight powered on, to download EPG data and firmware updates.
Almost always. However I often use the DVR to turn on the inverter so I can run other appliances, the dishwasher, microwave, and washing machine all have idle periods where they won't start the inverter, they'd all have to wait for the refrigerator to cycle. So the EPG can load during those events.

I've found that day-to-day usage is enough to keep the EPG current, but a 3-5 trip can cause a TS call. The new automated TS now has an option for this and I no longer need a rep.

Ah the joy of living off the grid!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)