129 signal strength on 622 versus 722

scottts

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2006
I have a dish 1000 antenna pointed at 110, 119, and 129. I have a 622 and a 722 hooked to the outputs of this antenna.

On 129 the 622 shows a signal strength of about 45 the 722 has a signal strength of only 28-30 on the same transponders. The 722 is starting to pixelate and lose signal frequently. I've switch the cables at the lnb and the low signal stays on the 722. I've reterminated the cable feeding the 722 and replaced the separator. I've peaked the antenna for 129. Nothing helps. I may get a new 129 lnb to see if I can get the signal strength up. This antenna setup is about 7 years old.

Should the 622 and the 722 show similar signal strengths if fed the same signal or are their strength indicators different?

Thanks.

Tried swapping the 622 and the 722 to see if the issue follows the receiver?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Tried swapping the 622 and the 722 to see if the issue follows the receiver?

This is logical but difficult in my case due to receiver location and hookup. I may have to do it though. Thanks.

This is logical but difficult in my case due to receiver location and hookup. I may have to do it though. Thanks.

Also, have you tried a different port on the LNB? Checked each and every barrel connector?

Also, have you tried a different port on the LNB?

There are two ports available on the lnb. One feeds each receiver. I have swapped them but the problem remains with the 722 receiver.

There are two ports available on the lnb. One feeds each receiver. I have swapped them but the problem remains with the 722 receiver.

Which version of the Dish 1000 do you have?

Which version of the Dish 1000 do you have?

I'm not sure of the designation. It's one of the earlier ones with a large dual 110/119 lnb assembly and a single 129 lnb connected to the 110/119 lnb. There are two ports on the 110/119 lnb for receiver connections.

How long are the cable runs?

Is their any excess cable coiled near the 722, that can act as an RF choke and kill signal?

How long are the cable runs?

Is their any excess cable coiled near the 722, that can act as an RF choke and kill signal?

Run length is only about 40 feet and pretty equal to both receivers. There is no excess cable. I should mention that these receivers have both been operating fine for years. The 722 recently stated pixelating and so I checked the signal strength and found it lower than normal and lower than the 622.

I'm not sure of the designation. It's one of the earlier ones with a large dual 110/119 lnb assembly and a single 129 lnb connected to the 110/119 lnb. There are two ports on the 110/119 lnb for receiver connections.

Sounds like the original Dish 1000. It's basically the same as the 1000.2 except uses the DPP Twin and the DP Dual/Single for two outputs instead of three on the DPP 1000.2 LNB. The original 1000 is also slightly smaller.

Anyway long story short troubleshooting is the same. Next chance you get, try swapping your receivers to see if the issue follows the receiver. If it does, then the receiver needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, then it's a cabling/LNB problem.

What you have is a known software issue with the 722. If any of the guys commenting on this thread were installers they should know it. It's a glitch in the software that reads the signals lower than they actually are. The only fix is to replace the receiver. It is only on the regular 722. Sorry man. With your set up maybe it's time for a hopper?

I don't believe that anyone made any claims to be installers in this thread. Regardless of this valuable knowledge about 722 software glitches (which yes I've heard of before,) swapping the receivers would ultimately determine whether this is a receiver issue or an installation issue.

My 722 started doing the same thing. I did all the swapping and connection changes and finally decided it had to be in the receiver. The 722 replacement receiver fixed the issue. You might want to upgrade your dish next time though. I hated to let that receiver go back it worked good for me for a long time.

I know but if it's been working good like mine was and you swap it out to a diff cabling run and problems still there, I'd say it's a good chance it's the receiver. Besides dish own's the darn thing, make them give you another one. We try and put to many headaches on our own!

I was referring to the OP's situation. Unless by "switched the cabling at the LNB" he means he replaced the cabling, simply swapping ports at the LNB only rules out LNB issues... Not cabling issues. Why would one go through the trouble of replacing the receiver blindly hoping that that's the fix when they could do a simple receiver swap at home first that makes sure that it's not a cabling issue?

Just recently, my Hopper setup was really screwing up. I was for sure that it was a switch/receiver issue. Turns out it was as simple as a corroded ground block between the dish and the switch. If I had jumped the gun and replaced switches and receivers, I never would have solved the problem, wasting tons of time, rather than doing something as simple as swapping receivers, to see if it's a cabling issue. I'm not quite sure why one would act as if swapping receivers at home is more trouble than "guesswork" and replacing the receiver without ruling out all problems first...

He said that it's single runs of 40 ft each. So unless he were to have a bad connector inside then he has. And if I remember correct he said he checked those inside as well as the separator.

That is true, I'm just saying that the swap would rule out everything, just in case he missed a connector or something. It's probably not likely, but in rare instances the cabling can go bad too for various reasons. We'll just have to see what the OP says if he reports back with us.

Thanks guys. This weekend I'm going to try swapping the receivers, but I've been looking around and think its time to upgrade everything to hopper.

My account has 3 VIP receivers on it. 1 622 in the garage on its own 1000 antenna, and the 622 and 722 on the house 1000 antenna. As I understand it I have to upgrade all 3 to hoppers as dish won't allow old VIPs on the same account with hoppers. So do I have to replace all three receivers simultaneously and then call to remove the VIPs and activate the hoppers? I'm going to wait to add joeys for some extra TVs later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts