129 stability/signal issues??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'd love to see numbers consistently in the 80s and some 90s. Doesn't happen here. I'm still getting drop-outs every 30-40 minutes, sometimes more often, with a duration of anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

The wobble problem just sucks and I couldn't agree more with RandallA, us folks in the Pacific Northwest should be getting a discount on the HD package, since we get such crappy signal stability from that POS sitting at 129...

Okay, I took some more readings for 129 just to compare. I posted on a different thread readings I took last week when I completed my install.

6:00 - 6:15 PDT, partly cloudy reading off of a 211 (my readings are higher on my 311 that I found out here is normal).

Tr 01 - 77
Tr 02 - 78
Tr 04 - 90
Tr 05 - 81
Tr 06 - 62 (never been able to get higher than that)
Tr 07 - 80
Tr 08 - 86
Tr 09 - 89
Tr 10 - 88
Tr 11 - 63 (I had 77 on it this past weekend. It does fluctuate)
Tr 12 - 87
Tr 13 - 91
Tr 16 - 80
Tr 17 - 83
Tr 18 - 77 ( I have noticed this Tp is a problem also)
Tr 21 - 81
Tr 22 - 79
Tr 23 - 78
Tr 27 - 80
Tr 30 - 89
Tr 31 - 95
Tr 32 - 82

I am surprized your readings are as low as they are. We only live about 30 miles apart. I am using a 500 with a DPP for 110/119 and a 24" (Winegard DS-4061/DP Dual) for 129.

I did take extra time to make sure the mast was absolutely plumb and really dialed in the elevation and azimuth to get the best signal. My elevation should be set at 34. but after fine tuning, it ended up at 37.

Yes, not having FSNW and FOX in HD is a hosejob as we pay the same as others who get those two important broadcasts.

Do you always get numbers that high or is that at the top end of the wobble cycle? I have a Dish 1000 for 110/119 (used to do 129 as well) and a 24" for 129 now.

Both masts are plumb, but I can't get the elevation up that high due to mounting constraints. I tried, but the top of the reflector for the 24" dish hits the bottom of the mast for the D1000, so 34 is the best I could get. I may try some more tweaking to see if I can get my elev up to 35 and see if that helps.

Even if they managed to put KCPQ up in HD before football season comes around again, they'd likely put it on 129. That'd be about as bad as the hosed situation we have now...

Do you always get numbers that high or is that at the top end of the wobble cycle? I have a Dish 1000 for 110/119 (used to do 129 as well) and a 24" for 129 now.

Both masts are plumb, but I can't get the elevation up that high due to mounting constraints. I tried, but the top of the reflector for the 24" dish hits the bottom of the mast for the D1000, so 34 is the best I could get. I may try some more tweaking to see if I can get my elev up to 35 and see if that helps.

Even if they managed to put KCPQ up in HD before football season comes around again, they'd likely put it on 129. That'd be about as bad as the hosed situation we have now...

I have written down my numbers twice and have observed them a couple of other times. I might be lucky to hit it on the good side of the wobble every time, but I have not noticed any problems with 129 yet.

Can you move your 24" dish down a couple of inches to avoid hitting your 1000? That 3 degrees in elevation made a big difference when I was tweaking.

But no fear when KCPQ/E* comes to an agreement...there is a slot on 110 for that station already assigned.

It's funny you talk about the extra elevation. I'm pretty sure I ended up 2-3 degrees higher than what's suggested for my zip with my 24" dish.

Last edited:
It's funny you talk about the extra elevation. I'm pretty sure I ended up 2-3 degrees higher than what's suggested for my zip with my 24" dish.

Yup. I noticed the higher elevation than what is suggested for my zip when I tweaked my 500 and same when I put up a 1000.2 too. Could it be us that are farther north (Washinton/Iowa) that there is that discrepancy?

With the 3 dishes I have set up and fine tuned, the elevation has always ended up being ~3 degrees higher than suggested for my zip.

I have written down my numbers twice and have observed them a couple of other times. I might be lucky to hit it on the good side of the wobble every time, but I have not noticed any problems with 129 yet.

Can you move your 24" dish down a couple of inches to avoid hitting your 1000? That 3 degrees in elevation made a big difference when I was tweaking.

But no fear when KCPQ/E* comes to an agreement...there is a slot on 110 for that station already assigned.

It's as low as I can mount it on the post. Did that on purpose so I'd have as much room as possible...still came up short. So I have an idea to mod the top edge of the 24" reflector a tiny bit to get a quarter of an inch to work with. Hopefully that'll help with the elev.

I certainly hope E* can reach an agreement with Tribune before September...

I still wonder if it more for me because I am farther north?

That seems to be the case. It's about 2 or 3 degrees in NW Oregon. I haven't had a dropout on 129 since I put up my 30" Winegard. No transponder drops below 70 now. :D

NightRyder

It's as low as I can mount it on the post. Did that on purpose so I'd have as much room as possible...still came up short. So I have an idea to mod the top edge of the 24" reflector a tiny bit to get a quarter of an inch to work with. Hopefully that'll help with the elev.

I certainly hope E* can reach an agreement with Tribune before September...

You might be able to modify the top of your reflector enough to get that extra 3 degrees (again, my signals went way up after I tweaked the elevation up), but if you still can't get the extra 3 degrees, maybe you could shave a bit off the top of your mast (or notch it) so your dish will sit a bit lower on that thru bolt that stops the dish from sliding down the mast.

All of us are hoping Tribune and E* can work it out before football season. Of course I am a college football fan too so when I saw FSNW wasn't one of the regional sports nets to go HD made me go $*&#!% too!

That's my plan, to see if I can get at least a degree or two...don't know if I'll be able to get the full 3 degrees, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure FSNW will end up there eventually in HD. KCPQ though, I'm not so positive about...

Let us know how it goes and if/how much your signals raised. This could be good information for others that live in the NW.

Edit: I was curious and went up to take a look. The elevation on my 24" ended up at just a hair under 38 degrees...almost 4 degree difference than the published setting.

I spent a little over an hour yesterday very carefully tuning in my 24" dish on 129 and achieved great success. I watched a little over 4 hours of programming on various channels off 129 yesterday afternoon and evening and never experienced a loss of signal. :) It was very nice to be able to watch that much uninterrupted HD programming!

Here my current TP ss numbers as I type this:

TP1: 80
TP2: 80
TP4: 90
TP5: 85
TP6: 75
TP7: 81
TP8: 85
TP9: 89
TP10: 89
TP11: 80
TP12: 91
TP13: 92
TP16: 83
TP17: 84
TP18: 77
TP21: 81
TP22: 80
TP23: 84
TP27: 85
TP30: 89
TP31: 96
TP32: 78

I patiently waited until the signal was at the high-end of the wobble cycle so I was getting the highest signal before I began the peaking process. I then carefully adjusted the dish to get the best signal I could during the top of this cycle so that the drop-off at the low end of the cycle would be as small as possible. After getting TP11 to peak-out at 84, I stopped and carefully locked down the dish. I then came in the house and went though the TPs to see what each one was reading. I was very pleasantly surprised to see most in the mid-upper 80s and even some in the 90s!

I waited to see what would happen at the low-end of the cycle...to see what the low-end would be. Turned out to only be an approximate 10-point swing across the board, which which put the lowest TP at 65ish...still well above the lock-loss point! The big test will be when we get some heavy clouds and/or rain and see what the readings are then, but all-in-all, it was a very successful procedure!

As far as my degree setting, well, there-in lies the problem. In order to tilt the dish back, I had to tilt the mast forward about a half inch. So it's sitting at just a hair under 40 degrees now, but with the mast at roughly a half inch from vertical, my best guess is that the dish would probably actually be a hair under 38 degrees. When I started this process, the dish was at 36 degrees and the mast was vertical.

Anyway, it works very well and I feel that the time spent was well worth it.

I spent a little over an hour yesterday very carefully tuning in my 24" dish on 129 and achieved great success. I watched a little over 4 hours of programming on various channels off 129 yesterday afternoon and evening and never experienced a loss of signal. :) It was very nice to be able to watch that much uninterrupted HD programming!

Here my current TP ss numbers as I type this:

TP1: 80
TP2: 80
TP4: 90
TP5: 85
TP6: 75
TP7: 81
TP8: 85
TP9: 89
TP10: 89
TP11: 80
TP12: 91
TP13: 92
TP16: 83
TP17: 84
TP18: 77
TP21: 81
TP22: 80
TP23: 84
TP27: 85
TP30: 89
TP31: 96
TP32: 78

I patiently waited until the signal was at the high-end of the wobble cycle so I was getting the highest signal before I began the peaking process. I then carefully adjusted the dish to get the best signal I could during the top of this cycle so that the drop-off at the low end of the cycle would be as small as possible. After getting TP11 to peak-out at 84, I stopped and carefully locked down the dish. I then came in the house and went though the TPs to see what each one was reading. I was very pleasantly surprised to see most in the mid-upper 80s and even some in the 90s!

I waited to see what would happen at the low-end of the cycle...to see what the low-end would be. Turned out to only be an approximate 10-point swing across the board, which which put the lowest TP at 65ish...still well above the lock-loss point! The big test will be when we get some heavy clouds and/or rain and see what the readings are then, but all-in-all, it was a very successful procedure!

As far as my degree setting, well, there-in lies the problem. In order to tilt the dish back, I had to tilt the mast forward about a half inch. So it's sitting at just a hair under 40 degrees now, but with the mast at roughly a half inch from vertical, my best guess is that the dish would probably actually be a hair under 38 degrees. When I started this process, the dish was at 36 degrees and the mast was vertical.

Anyway, it works very well and I feel that the time spent was well worth it.

GREAT!! I knew you should have able to get better signals that what you had, seeing as how we live about 30 miles from each other. It seems your signals are about the same as mine now (even a bit better in a couple of instances). It proves that it pays to have a little patience and spend more time dialing in your dish. Others in the NW (or in the more norther latitudes) need to take note that your elevation will most likely be more than what is published.

Funny, but I have read elsewhere about rain fade. I have been with E* for 8 years and have never had any problems during heavy rains or storms (and we get them here!), but I have not had 129 up for very long either. Again, it pays to spend the time to really fine tune your dish, even if you had yours 'professionally installed'.

Once I saw the numbers you were getting with a 24" dish, I figured something was definitely not right with the alignment I had, since we're only about 30 miles from each other. The numbers I'm getting now are much more in-line with the numbers you posted. I did have my dish "professionally installed", but he probably just went by the book and he had a meter and who knows what the ss was at the point when he locked down the dish. I waited until the peak in the cycle before adjusting it and that raised the top-end by (in most cases) at least 20 points, sometimes more. So, patience definitely paid off. :)

I've been with E* for 9+ years now and when we get an extremely heavy down-pour, I've lost signal for a few minutes on occasion over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)