129 vs. 61.5?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Don't freak out. It's actually easy but requires patience. Do you have two people and radios/cell phones? Or can you see the TV from the dish?

Yeah. My wife, but my son is awake when there is light outside. :eek:

If you look in the dictionary under "patience" and then look for the opposite, you'll find my wife's picture. :eek:

Should've marked it with a pencil but it's too late now. Go to Menu, 6, 1, 1 and get your elevation and azimuth from there. Your skew is 90 for a single satellite location. The elevation is marked on the dish and the azimuth is East to West or Left to Righ if standing behind the dish.

What's your zipcode?

You have to go slowly, there's a few seconds delay for the screen to show any signal. Sometimes I use baby monitors, they work well. Maybe not for peaking but you'll hear a tone when you get some signal.

Make sure you are on an active TP too!

Does your switch matrix still list 61.5? If so switch to 61.5 on the signal screen and go to TP 1. TP 1 on 129 and 61.5 are both 8PSK modulation. I'm sure if you had the receiver tuning in 8PSK mode from 61.5 and swing over to a 129W were a QPSK TP was at you wouldn't get any signal, so I'd try TP 1.

By far the easiest thing to do is to unhook the switches. Make sure no LNB is attached to the receiver and do a check switch to clear the switch matrix out. Hook up just the one single dish to the receiver. Then start looking for 129W. If you can't find it, then I'd suggest finding 110. Then find 119. This will help you get familiar with where the birds are. Once you find 110. Mark the pole with a pencil. Find 119. Mark the pole. See the distance between the two marks? This is how far you have to go from 119 to get 129. Happy hunting....

Here's a calculator for the satellites:

http://www.geosatfinder.com/

Don't worry about the skew listed on this calculator. There no skew on circular single dish.

Is there a reason Dish deployed these to the 129 instead of 61.5? I know the installers in Dallas have NOT been deploying the 1000, but instead using a second dish at 61.5 for superior signal strength. A LOT of people in the FOXS and FOXSW are going to be unhappy when they realize they can't get their channels.

I suggest sending an email to ceo@echostar.com if your in that position requesting they deploy those channels to the 61.5 sat. Perhaps they will listen and avoid a ton of upgrade/repoints that this will cause.

Is there a reason Dish deployed these to the 129 instead of 61.5? I know the installers in Dallas have NOT been deploying the 1000, but instead using a second dish at 61.5 for superior signal strength. A LOT of people in the FOXS and FOXSW are going to be unhappy when they realize they can't get their channels.

I suggest sending an email to ceo@echostar.com if your in that position requesting they deploy those channels to the 61.5 sat. Perhaps they will listen and avoid a ton of upgrade/repoints that this will cause.

Because this area is slated for 129W HD coverage. One day I bet you'll see HD LiL's from 129W for this area.

I have a 500 on 61.5 and on 148, which one should I swing over to 129? I seem to remember that one of them had better HBO but I can't remember which one. Thanks.

148 has Showtime and HBO HD with better quality.

To add a bit more to my dilemna, 148 is a bit lower in signal strength (barely above 60) while 61.5 is around 70-80. I suppose I could tweak 148 a bit while I am in the process of moving the dish. My installer may not have done the best that he could do there.

So, as I understand it, being in Idaho I should be able to get 148 a bit better? My 61.5 dish is pretty low on the horizon and I worry that eventually some trees or something will get in the way so I may just move that one.

Dish is coming to install the 1000.2 for me free of charge after I e-mailed ceo@echostar.com. However, I can't say that they'll do this for everybody. I've used my four years of loyalness and the fact that I spent $700 on the 6000u and $649 on the ViP-622 as part of my argument.

In the e-mail I received, they are "making an exception" for me.

So, I requested that they bring a DPP44 with the 1000.2 install so they can hook up the 3 LNB’s from the 1000.2 and one LNB from the 61.5 dish. We'll see if they'll do that. :)

Dish is coming to install the 1000.2 for me free of charge after I e-mailed ceo@echostar.com. However, I can't say that they'll do this for everybody. I've used my four years of loyalness and the fact that I spent $700 on the 6000u and $649 on the ViP-622 as part of my argument.

So, I requested that they bring a DPP44 with the 1000.2 install so they can hook up the 3 LNB’s from the 1000.2 and one LNB from the 61.5 dish. We'll see if they'll do that. :)

Good for you ChetK. Good luck with the install.

You won't need the DP44, the dish 1000.2 has a fourth satellite input, so it basically acts similar to a DP44. You should be all set with that.