14-771 - HR22 won't boot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HammerHead001

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I get this error code when i started my receiver. 14-771. It tells me to reboot and if that doesnt work to call DTV tech support. Well, i did that. Their systems are down in the call center and they cant help me until tomorrow. Any chance i can save this thing? Any ideas? I dont want to hear the wife yell that she has lost her DVR'd programming.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try unplugging everything, including the power inserter. I am assuming you have a swm setup, which is one cable from the dish to the house. Then plug in the power inserter and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Then plug in the receiver. If you have more than one, plug in one at a time until they fully boot up. That should do it. (I hope!)

Have you made any changes to your system recently ?
What does your system consist of ?

Hey Jimbo,

It is an HR22 that I have had for almost 4 years. I am running the SWM, I was in the process of installing the CE release last night. The download completed, and was in the process of rebooting after the download.

Everything had been unplugged overnight. Plugged it all back and tried to restart. Same results.

Thanks!

Hey Jimbo,

It is an HR22 that I have had for almost 4 years. I am running the SWM, I was in the process of installing the CE release last night. The download completed, and was in the process of rebooting after the download.

Everything had been unplugged overnight. Plugged it all back and tried to restart. Same results.

Thanks!

Your other recvrs all work properly ?

Being 4 years old, I suppose it might be on it's way out, but it's hard to say.

If you've rebooted and still doesn't come up, what do you see what it comes back up ?
Picture, no picture, banner, nothing ?

Yes, all other receivers are working fine. I know its old, i dont have much hope in saving this one. I have already started the process for DTV to send me a new one.
The error message I get happens about 20 seconds after plugging in... Basically, It tells me that there has been a hardware error on the storage device, to try to reboot & if that doesnt work to contact DTV. then it provides the diagnostic code of 14-771. So,. I never see a picture, guide or anything other than - Hello, your receiver is starting up.

I think the hard drive has failed to be honest with you. The drives in these boxes dont sound like any other I have heard before, but, I can distinctly hear a repetitive sound of something mechanical. I can hear it fire, then the sound repeats.... over and over. I never really hear the plate spin to its full RPM potential.

Last edited:
Yes, all other receivers are working fine. I know its old, i dont have much hope in saving this one. I have already started the process for DTV to send me a new one.
The error message I get happens about 20 seconds after plugging in... Basically, It tells me that there has been a hardware error on the storage device, to try to reboot & if that doesnt work to contact DTV. then it provides the diagnostic code of 14-771. So,. I never see a picture, guide or anything other than - Hello, your receiver is starting up.

I think the hard drive has failed to be honest with you. The drives in these boxes dont sound like any other I have heard before, but, I can distinctly hear a repetitive sound of something mechanical. I can hear it fire, then the sound repeats.... over and over. I never really hear the plate spin to its full RPM potential.

Yup, sounds like the Hard drive has seen better days.

If you have an esata hard drive, you could try plugging it in. That would disable the internal and could tell you if that's the problem.

Like the old saying goes, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Status
Please reply by conversation.