148W - Success at last!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Even though there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there on 148W for us FTA'ers I just couldn't let it get me down. I had to get that signal! It goes back to a comment I recently read in this forum where us FTA'ers will spend hours trying to get that one signal but then never watch it.

First of all I have lots and lots of trees in my neighborhood. I'm lucky to have my 90cm where I have it. I'm shooting from under a tree over another tree and I'm able to get from about 53 degrees to 135 or so. 148W was just a no go for my yard. 20 degree look angle is just a killer here unless I put the dish out in the road or something.

I was out in the yard doing yard work enjoying the nice weather and started looking around in the sky. I was looking at my other dishes to get my bearings on where 148W is. I couldn't find anything except for trees at 20 degrees until I noticed this small hole. I can do it! I grabbed an old pallet I had from doing some tile work. Grabbed a spare dish and pole from the attic. Borrowed the LNB from 61.5. Grabbed the compass and the 7/16 wrench and went to work. I started eyeballing everything and couldn't find it with the little analog satellite meter. I stepped back and eyeballed it again and moved the pallet. Swung the dish over a bit and beeeeeeeeeeeeeeepp. Went inside and there she was, 80% quality!. I couldn't believe it! Only took about 5 minutes to point it through the trees. Locked it down and hooked it up to the diseqc switch so I can dig around with TSReader.

I've attached a few pics of the hole I'm shooting through. I tried to show the angle of the dish and where I'm shooting through.

Attachments

• 100_5050.JPG
    100_5050.JPG
    982.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_5051.JPG
    100_5051.JPG
    786.8 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_5052.JPG
    100_5052.JPG
    879.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_5055.JPG
    100_5055.JPG
    838.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_5057.JPG
    100_5057.JPG
    930 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_5058.JPG
    100_5058.JPG
    987.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_5059.JPG
    100_5059.JPG
    982.6 KB · Views: 160
Even though there isn't a whole lot of stuff out there on 148W for us FTA'ers I just couldn't let it get me down. I had to get that signal! It goes back to a comment I recently read in this forum where us FTA'ers will spend hours trying to get that one signal but then never watch it.

Just what is there on 148 that is FTA?

What a fortuitous hole lol. Do the people in the house your aiming at think you're listening in? HAHA

I'm waiting for that one. "Hey...why is that little dish pointed at my house? My DirecTV dish doesn't point like that. Isn't it supposed to point in the sky? Are you picking up my internet from my house?"

I'm still shocked that this thing works through this little hole in the trees.

good work

Wonderful story.
Beautiful pictures.
And a great example of what you can do with a $10 satellite meter.

I'm west coast, so 148ºw is just one of the stock dishes on my roof.
Actually, with LA locals now off 148, it's getting me only the Pentagon channel.
(part of my Dish subscription)

But as you say, getting the bird is often more interesting than watching it.
I'd happily swap my solid 148 signal for some of the east coast FTA birds that are 20º above -my- horizon! :cool:

I can hit it in RI, but as the branches move, so does the signal. If I had a 100' tower, I could definitely hit it.(not happening)

Not knowing your city, I picked Spartanburg, SC
guess it all depends on how clear a line of sight you have at 10º elevation :rolleyes:

Code:
                      Spartanburg, SC 29302
          Latitude 34° 57.378'N Longitude 81° 52.416'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m)   El  Skew
----------------------------------------------------------------
                     EchoStar 1/2  148.0W 255.8 262.6 10.8  52.6

I was never able to pick up 148w until after Katrina flattened every Pecan tree across the street from the front of my house. Now I can get it... motorized rig looks like its aimed down at my roof :) I'd rather have kept the trees, they gave shade in the late afternoon in my front yard :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)