18 month commitment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

guffy1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Traverse City, MI
If I agree to the 18 month commitment, is there a provision in the contract that allows me to cancel without penalty early on if Im not happy with the service? Say 30 days or something like that?

With all the 129 and VIP 211 issues I read about here Im concerned, but Id like to try it out and see for myself..

Tx for any help!!

Last edited:
You don't have to agree to 18 month, but you will not be able to receive the rebates and discounts that they offer. The reps though will push to get the 18 month contract.

Yeah I was thinking about going for it with no commitment..If the website ordring form is right its only an extra $50.00 for me to get out of that commitment..

I have other questions though..

Can I "move" my service address real easy like I can with D*?

The cancellation fee for the 18 mo commitment is $13.33 * the number of months left on the contract.

The commiments gets you the waranty plan for free for the length of the commitment, plus a $49 credit on your first bill.

No commitment does not get free service warranty or a $49 credit.

however if you get a club dish number for someone like me you also don't have to pay the $49 upfront install fee for which ever method you choose.

guffy1 said:
The main thing Im still wondering about is "moving"...Is it easy pickins like it is with D*?

Yes, "moving" is very easy. Just call Dish and give them a new service address, but keep your billing address the same.

brew718 said:
They told me Its $200.00 for breaking commitment plus 13.33 for
remaining month. Who knows??

As a previous post correctly stated, the cancellation fee for the 18 month commitment is $240. However, DISH will only access a pro-rated fee for the number of months on the commitment left unfilled. That is, $240 divided by 18 months is $13.33 per month. So if you were to cancel with 10 months remaining on your commitment, you would pay $133.30.

As for moving, the DISH Mover service makes moving very easy. The fee for a DISH Mover is $99. Customers who are Club DISH memebers receive a coupon for one free DISH Mover. Customers who are signed up for the Digital Home Protection Plan (DHPP) are entitled to one free move per year. DHPP may be added to any customer's account for $5.99 per month. Customers who sign up under the 18 month agreement receive DHPP free and therefore get one DISH Mover per year.

BFG said:
The cancellation fee for the 18 mo commitment is $13.33 * the number of months left on the contract.

The commiments gets you the waranty plan for free for the length of the commitment, plus a $49 credit on your first bill.

No commitment does not get free service warranty or a $49 credit.

however if you get a club dish number for someone like me you also don't have to pay the $49 upfront install fee for which ever method you choose.

I signed up with E* in Dec.05 as a new customer. I paid the $49 activation fee to avoid the 18 month commttment. As I told the CSR - 18 months??? Gimme a break. One of my marriages didn't last that long! :D

The CSR did not say anything about no warranty service without the 18 month committment. But, my question is with leased equipment why should anyone care about any warranty? If the equipment fails, they have to either fix it or send a replacement, right? Surely they wouldn't try to charge monthly rent on equipment that doesn't work?

And, I'm glad I paid the $49 & avoid the 18 months sentencing of enduring crap service. I plan to cancel in May when my $10/mo. HD service ends (old pricing tier). I almost never watch Dish's SD programming, and $45 / mo. for endless reruns of "Law & Order" on TNT HD or tired old movies on HD Movie Net is not what I would call value. Free OTA HD TV and Netflix DVD's are a better value for me.

The CSR did not say anything about no warranty service without the 18 month committment. But, my question is with leased equipment why should anyone care about any warranty? If the equipment fails, they have to either fix it or send a replacement, right? Surely they wouldn't try to charge monthly rent on equipment that doesn't work?
Wrong.

Lease a car and ask the same question. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts