18" Venture Actuator Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the correction.
Well, the new replacement motor just showed up from Venture. It is slightly different in a few ways but didn't come with any screws for the back cover. Not a problem, since it doesn't seem to work very well.
I connected it up and moved it several degrees West with the ASC1 and then moved it East and instantly the ASC1 gave the limits error. I couldn't make it go East or West. I went out to the motor, took off the back and the limits switch was clear. I took the motor off the shaft - the shaft moved easily. I put the motor back on and went back inside and moved it East. Then I set some positions and pretty quickly the error showed up. I took the motor off again and then back on. Then it moved for a few more tries and then it locked again. All my connections were good. Nice new motor...I put the old one back but no idea how long it'll last.

**Perhaps this thread needs to be renamed to Venture Actuator issue to better describe the problem.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like there is a bad run of those actuators. Unless you have some sort of binding problem, sounds like the brushes again.
Maybe time to send em back and go a different route.

Once again, the 18" Venture actuator is one of those junk Chinese Superjack / qarl clones. It's NOT made by Venture, it's imported by them. It's complete and total junk. I don't understand why they still sell it, as it turns their reputation into junk.

I love Venture actuators, the 18" one sold by them is NOT Venture made, and people should NOT buy them. The 24" model is good, and the 24" BALL-SCREW model can go the rest of your life with no issues. Yes, it's a little pricey, but it's worth it to not have the frustration.

I appreciate the advice - I did think it would last longer though...
I'll keep an eye out for a Von Weise, but Venture is sending a new one that should be here in a couple days.
We'll see how it goes.

The other option is a venture screwball...
I LOVE my Venture. :)

Knock on wood... Haven't had a failed or returned Venture 18" yet. The one great thing is, the company stands behind their product and it will always be replaced. Buy the Superjack or other China brand and the warranty is only as good as the reseller offers.

Sounds like you received an open box return as your replacement Never have observed a new in box venture actuator delivered with the screws missing from the cover. This makes me think the unit has been opened for testing or repair. I would check with your reseller.

This unit was shipped directly from Venture - which I really appreciate and think it was super cool that they did stand behind the first one and immediately shipped a replacement.
I am in a weather hold for a few days, so I'll put the new one on the bench and manually drive it around and see.
I'd much rather support a North American company like Venture and have them still around in the future than be reduced to buying knock-offs.

There's no doubt about the first one. This one could be fitting the screw differently and binding (doubtful but possible) since I swapped motors only as there was no reason to disassemble the dish.

Finally had a second shot at the new Venture 18 - been 10 days since I got it and the weather has been really bad. The original motor died today so when I got home I swapped the new one and at first it didn't work at all. Tried an external power source and after the 10th time it moved back and forth but after mounting it it worked for only a few minutes before it stopped. I opened up the motor but can't see anything broken. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! I HATE THESE MOTORS!!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)