192 LOS issues?

kluken

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
OK so Dish shows up and I ask them to move my 61.5 dish to the roof, rather than give me a 1000. They get on the roof and tell me there is a tree blocking 129? I am in ATL and my Dish 500 has no issues with 110 and 119, but they say 129 is much lower and a distant tree will block the signal. Needless they won't move my dish. Is there some info somewhere on where exactly 129 is in relation to where my 110/119 dish is pointed?

Jim5506 said:
That sat should be at about 240 degrees elevated 28.7 degrees above the horizon.

Thanks, I'll have to eye that one and see if they were being lazy or what. I have to beleive they could have moved it some where on my roof to avoid a tree that is about 75-100 feet away, exepcially sine I get 110/119 perfect now with signals over 100.

129 is space junk and there are pleny of people complaining about the crappy coverage. They were probably doing you a favor by keeping you on 61.5W. The downside that I have raised hell with Dish about is that they put the Atlanta HD channels on 129W, so you do not have access to them via e*, even though that is not a great loss.

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
129 is space junk and there are pleny of people complaining about the crappy coverage. They were probably doing you a favor by keeping you on 129W. The downside that I have raised hell with Dish about is that they put the Atlanta HD channels on 129W, so you do not have access to them via e*, even though that is not a great loss.

Yeah I wanted the 622 for the extra VOOM and the ATL HD, but I get the ATL HD OTA farily good, but it woudl be nice to have a backup. I'm actually really pissed with dish with the entire swap out to the 622, screwed up appointments, a bad 622, etc. And now I see that at least on OTA I notice there is an audio sync problme frequently so I may just tell dish to take back the 622, keep my 942 and wait until I can work out the 129 LOS issues and maybe they'll fix the 622 by then. I am wondering if they will mirror all national HD on 61.5 and 129, or will there be something that will only be on 129 (other than locals)

I am wondering if they will mirror all national HD on 61.5 and 129
They already do, and will continue to do so - because even if they replace the 129 bird (as they should), the folks up in the northeast still can't see it.

SimpleSimon said:
They already do, and will continue to do so - because even if they replace the 129 bird (as they should), the folks up in the northeast still can't see it.
I'm sure this has been said, but it seems E* is got its head up its butt to waste duplicate transpnders on 2 birds, I woudl figure at some point they would force everyone to 129, but if parts of the country can;t see it then I guess they will have to always mirror the national HD? If so then maybe not getting the ATL HD is not a big deal, I woudl have liked to have them as backup to the OTA HD, giving me more flexibility with recording network HD. Come on D* give E* more competition!!

I'm sure this has been said, but it seems E* is got its head up its butt to waste duplicate transpnders on 2 birds
Actually, they are being quite smart about their bandwidth usage at this point. There are a lot of factors that the average subscriber simply doesn't know about. Much of it has to do with HD LiL, but in this case it's simply geometry.

Line of sight for 61.5 from the west is very difficult, and LOS for 129 from the east is the same, so you HAVE to duplicate the nationals. OK, now you're going to say that they should use a different slot. Well, sorry, they're ALL full, and it's going to stay that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)