1st HD TV; Jump from DirecTV to Dish for HD?

James in VA

Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Hi all!

Brand new to this forum. I just ordered my first HD TV today (65" HP 1080P DLP) and expect to get it late next week. The question is how to handle getting my HD satellite contact.

For the past 7 years or so I've had DirecTV. About 4 years back I upgraded my reciever to get integrated TiVo service. I've been pleased for the most part but my commitment with them is long over. I did, however, subscribe to "lifetime" TiVo service. Now I want to get the best HD content I can. I also really want DVR service. I live in rural VA and the cable company here stinks so satellite it is.

Last month I read about the onset of MPEG4 compression for HD programming and now see that Dish is offering that with a DVR in their model ViP622. Has anyone here jumped from DirecTV to Dish for their HD content? Does this seem like a good idea?

Lastly, can anybody recommend who to go to in order to get the equipment and setup? For DirecTV, I always dealt directly with the main company. Any experiences (good or bad) with satellite dealers?

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

Regards,
James in VA

What part of rural VA? The reason I ask is you might be able to get some over the air free HD with an antenna.

I personally would go with Dish for HD at the present time since dish seems to have the most HD channels currently.

Last edited:
JAMES IN VA, I have just jumped ship myself from D* to E* because of the lack of HD programming. In my case here north of Seattle, I cannot get OTA HD reception plus there are no O&O stations located in the Seattle area so as you can see, my viewing of HD programming through D* was limited. I signed up with E* for a 2 room package with HD TV's for two VIP211 HD receivers and the DishHD Silver package with locals. I will wait and see what happens during April about getting the VIP622 HD DVR. I have the installation scheduled for this coming Monday, Feb 6. In my case I went through dishtv.com and have a post on the thread...HD Equipment cost for New Customers...on this Dish Network HDTV forum with post #7 which outlines the details. I did leave out the part about the free offer of the Starz package for three month's as I will probably cancel at the end of the three month's. Enjoy that new HDTV in what ever choice you make!!!

I suggest Dish since you at least have no HD-Lite on the basic 5 channels plus there are more channels. Also the two movie channel premiums are not HD-Lite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts