1TB EHD showing only 500GB available

dkblom

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
denver colorado
I just installed an Acomdata 1TB harddrive on my 622 (L618).

Model PDHD1000USE-72
Interface USB 2.0 / eSATA
Capacity 1TB
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 8.5ms

I used the DVR to format the hard drive and when I went to "Manage" it (MENU+4+2+1) it showed only 499.9 GB available. I transferred several shows to it flawlessly thinking it might recalculate the storage but only see less space available (see attached picture).

Any ideas? Should I reformat w/NTFS on my desktop?

Much Thanks.

Attachments

• dishEHD1.jpg
    dishEHD1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 228
Current VIP receivers do not support HD's larger than 750 gbs.

Dish Network says they don't support drives larger than 750GB, but there are a lot of people that are using 1TB and larger with 622s - me for one.

The OP needs to format the drive on a PC or MAC to see the results.

I connected a 640GB drive on my 622 and saw that it created two partitions, one of 500GB and one of 140GB. The amount of free space shown by the receiver shows that it utilizes (or will utilize) both partitions, but I found it interesting that it didn't create one big partition for all the recordings.

Yeah I would do that as well format from your PC see what it does then. Then you might run the format again from the receiver. What would help on this is folks that have a HD that the Dish receiver reorganize it has a 1 TB. You should post the make and model of your HD so folks can compare so forth.

I connected a 640GB drive on my 622 and saw that it created two partitions, one of 500GB and one of 140GB. The amount of free space shown by the receiver shows that it utilizes (or will utilize) both partitions, but I found it interesting that it didn't create one big partition for all the recordings.

It been posted before 1TB came into the list. I posted partitions info of EHD last months here.

I think it has something to do with the content that you recorded. Only quality recordings will get you full access to the 1TB :p

Sorry couldn't resist :D

I have a 1TB hooked up to my 722 (see details in my sig) without issues.

The only think I can recommend as was mentioned prior is to reformat and see what happens.

Thanks to all!!!

Wow!!!! Kudos to SatGuys for this website. As a newb, and my first post, I'm overwhelmed with the quantity and quality of responses...except THEOAK of course.:eek: ...You must have recognized my addiction to 80's hair metal. Too bad there isn't much in HD on Dish anymore....man I miss VOOM. Had a Satch concert that got wiped out on the DVR that I really miss. I Love Colorado by the way.:D

After my wife gets done watching American Idol, I'll bring the drive to my PC for diagnostics. I'll post results tonight.

Thanks for all the advice!
-D

Please keep in mind that in a past Tech Forum Mark and Dan made it very clear that they advise customers to use large--in the corporate sense--"well-known, name brands" (WD, Seagate, etc.) for the EHD because they did state that many of the "lesser-known" or really inexpensive brands may not work properly with the EHD feature. The vast majority of serious EHD anomolies posted on this board have involved those "lesser-known" brands. That is a gamble you take. I can tell you that 2 different models of old/ancient Maxtor (before the merger) drives and several WD Home Edition drives, including the 1TB single drive, all work PERFECTLY with my EHD enabled STB's.

Got it! Thanks again.

That did it!!:D
I reformatted the drive to NTFS (no partitions) on my PC, hooked it up to the DVR, had to format it again on the DVR, and now there's 1TB available.:up

BTW, the drive inside the acomdata enclosure is a samsung in case anyone was interested.

Regards,
-D

722 Install 2 tvs existing coax

Dishnetwork is acting bizzare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)