2/19/2009 1:57pm - Uplink Activity Report - 64 changes

That would be true if it wasn't for Stretch-O-Vision. I have all the SD versions locked out, except for Scripps and Turner channels. Sometimes, I just can't handle the distortion and switch down to the SD.

Sorry, I am have different perspective on that situation. I simply DETEST black bars on my channels and use stretch on all sd channels and I even partial zoom on hd channels if they don't show any hd. I can't wait till all programming, including commercials, are in hd or 16 x 9 at least.

Sorry, I am have different perspective on that situation. I simply DETEST black bars on my channels and use stretch on all sd channels and I even partial zoom on hd channels if they don't show any hd. I can't wait till all programming, including commercials, are in hd or 16 x 9 at least.

Some people like looking at stretched out video some don't. I for one can't stand looking at fat people. Wish they wouldn't stretch stuff and make everyone happy. The people that hate don't touch a thing. The ones that want it fat, hit the stretch button. I pass on watching shows that stretch it out, I can care less what it is.

I can understand your perspective, but if they sent all channels with no stretch at all, YOU still would have the option to hit a stretch button and let your TV stretch it for you, while I would still have the choice to leave it as-is. If the provider sends the channel in stretch-o-vision, I have no way to "unstretch" for my viewing preference.

I can understand your perspective, but if they sent all channels with no stretch at all, YOU still would have the option to hit a stretch button and let your TV stretch it for you, while I would still have the choice to leave it as-is. If the provider sends the channel in stretch-o-vision, I have no way to "unstretch" for my viewing preference.

True enough. I think that leaving it unstretched or original aspect would be best and then we could all make the decision to format it ourselves.

They should just do as DIRECTV does and if there is an hd version of any channel it takes the place of that channel and the sd version goes away. Then there is no need to have hundreds of mirror channels cluttering up the guide . I have a slew of channels locked out in my locks menu to clean up all the clutter.

They seem to be employing this with some of the EA channels, but that is all MPEG4. If they drop the SD's that are on 110 & 119... customers w/ MPEG2 systems will lose the channel all together... that would be bad...

They seem to be employing this with some of the EA channels, but that is all MPEG4. If they drop the SD's that are on 110 & 119... customers w/ MPEG2 systems will lose the channel all together... that would be bad...

What I am trying to say is if you have an hd receiver or dvr , the sd versions automatically go away if there is an hd version. Even better the hd channel takes the lower mapped channel numbers. There is no more 9500 or what ever virtual channel they choose. THat is how DIRECTV does it on their hd receivers. To me it is much less clutter and it doesn't lead to confusion for the subs.

What I am trying to say is if you have an hd receiver or dvr , the sd versions automatically go away if there is an hd version. Even better the hd channel takes the lower mapped channel numbers. There is no more 9500 or what ever virtual channel they choose. THat is how DIRECTV does it on their hd receivers. To me it is much less clutter and it doesn't lead to confusion for the subs.
Not true.My parents have the directv hd dvr with hd locals and they also have the sd locals. They didnt automatically go away. I was there yesterday telling them about removing them from the list, but i am not sure if theydid or not, but they definitely didnt go away.

Well I had the hr 21 dvr last year at this time for 6 months and all new hd channels added in the national channel range became the only channels I could get once they were available. I don't recall the locals did this or not but I know that the National cable channels did this. I think there was an option in the menu to enable this, but I can't remember anymore what it was.

I would rather the SD versions don't go away. My wife doesn't care if she watches her shows in SD or HD and she has a tendency to pile up 10 Gray's Anatomy's and Desperate Housewives before she watches them. I don't want them taking up all of that hard drive space when she will probably watch them on the 2nd SDTV anyway!