2 antennas connected to A/B switch

I do this with no apparent problem. One RG6 cable in from each antenna to the A/B switch. I have to do this because the signal from one of my locals is so weak that I had to order a special "cut" antenna for that particular frequency to receive a stable signal or at times any signal at all. Good luck.

Is it possible to connect two antennas cabled to the inside to an A/B switch and not use a UHF/VHF combiner? This would eliminate any signal loss, correct?
Myself, I can't see why you would ever want or need a manual switch installed so my question is what type and number of antenna are you trying to setup and why the concern over signal loss.

Sergei, I lost a Wineguard antenna during a bad blizzard this past winter. Actually broke the rotor,bringing everthing to the ground. I had an older RCA antenna that worked great before digital and wanted to put it back into the mix. Thought I would put it in a different location away from the UHF antenna in use currently. I thought this would give me a cleaner signal by manually switching.
I get all of my ota channels on our main set, but in our bedroom I have Dish (222) line and antenna combined through splitter. I find I don't receive most of the UHF signals doing this. I was just pondering options to putter around with..

Sergei, I lost a Wineguard antenna during a bad blizzard this past winter. Actually broke the rotor,bringing everthing to the ground. I had an older RCA antenna that worked great before digital and wanted to put it back into the mix. Thought I would put it in a different location away from the UHF antenna in use currently. I thought this would give me a cleaner signal by manually switching.
I get all of my ota channels on our main set, but in our bedroom I have Dish (222) line and antenna combined through splitter. I find I don't receive most of the UHF signals doing this. I was just pondering options to putter around with..

The older RCA antenna should work with what ever you setup you finally go with.. Is this a VHF only or an all channel (UHF&VHF) antenna knowing that would help.
Also are you wanting to use the switch for the TV in the bedroom? Also,when one combines OTA (the Antenna) with a Dish, it's done via two or more Diplexers, so are you using them or a standard splitter.
Diagram link for additional set which may not apply in your case.
http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/My eBooks/PROBLEM_SOLVER_1.pdf

Attachments

• diplexer.png
    diplexer.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
The older RCA is an all channel. This is for the bedroom tv. I currently use the backfed sat signal on one side of a standard splitter. I also use a UHF signal on the other side of the splitter. Satellite works fine, but for some reason I get high VHF (7) fine but my UHF signals are are not coming through. I thought if I would instead run the backfed sat signal on one side of A/B switch and UHF on other side of A/B switch, I would get all OTA frequencies when on antenna. (The RCA antenna is not in the mix yet but was thinking of experimenting to get some analog out of Canada or a Fringe station in another direction.) I should resolve one problem before creating a whole new one eh? :)

The older RCA is an all channel. This is for the bedroom tv. I currently use the backfed sat signal on one side of a standard splitter. I also use a UHF signal on the other side of the splitter. Satellite works fine, but for some reason I get high VHF (7) fine but my UHF signals are are not coming through. I thought if I would instead run the backfed sat signal on one side of A/B switch and UHF on other side of A/B switch, I would get all OTA frequencies when on antenna. (The RCA antenna is not in the mix yet but was thinking of experimenting to get some analog out of Canada or a Fringe station in another direction.) I should resolve one problem before creating a whole new one eh? :)

I believe from what I'm reading your problem is using a standard splitter and not the diplexers, I maybe wrong but that's the first thing I'd be looking at as the problem.

I am in Toronto, facing south, on a balcony 8 stories high overlooking Lake Ontario. I am running OTA as well as FTA satellite, I have 4 OTA antennae on my balcony, a flat multi directional RCA (looks like a square tadpole), a set of good quality rabbit ears with a clicker switch (I purchased it from Radio Shack years ago), a dish OTA from RCA (multi directional), a wall mounted flat Winegard without the booster and a small but powerful medium distance regular outdoor antena and rotor, all hooked up separate to combiners into a single hookup to my old Nfusion HD reciever. If I hook up only the rabbit ears, or only the RCA multi-directional, local channels all come in loud and clear, but I cannot get ION from Batavia (three channels there) or, for example, WNGS (Rochester) that carries 4 channels. and several other Buffalo/Niagara Falls channels. BUT when I add the longer distance antennae (the omni-directional RCA or the motorized antenna and the stationary Winegard) then the distant channels arrive loud and clear, BUT - THE LOCAL CHANNELS NO LONGER ARE AVAILABLE???? They come in sporatic and are very unstable.

I use COMBINERS (opposite of a splitter) to group the antenna for a single input into my old Nfusion HD (what happened to them, anyways...????) and I get (on average days) about 24 Channels and on a good summer clear day over 34 - but the locals come in and out, and are not stable. (by local I mean Toronto and Hamilton stations). do you think a huge single ABCDEF switch is available for this ongoing project of mine? any suggestions to get all the channels in at once? I was thinking maybe a single monster antenna and rotor with huge gain capacity over a very long range might work, but it's too big to install out on my smaller balcony............... just looking for any suggestions on the combiner into a single switch idea?

I was just asking. there are a few different types of devices that call themselves combiners. i was wondering if he was using one of those and if so which one.

But you may be right, after all he called it the opposite of a splitter.