2 Cities, big problems

MichaelJames

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
Here is the latest:

I have 1 antenna pointed towards Cinci. Ohio and I get all the stations plus I get all the program guide information including the tv show descriptions. All of these are 20-30 miles away.

I have another antenna pointed toward Dayton. I get only 2 stations and NO show descriptions/schedules at all showing. These are 15 miles away and all show a great signal strength on the RF meter.

When I scan for Dayton, it pauses on all the actual stations for approximately 5-10 seconds..almost like its ready to lock onto them and add but then just goes on. All the stations are in the almost same location geographically (this includes the stations it finds and the ones it did not). My Panasonic STB, a 1st generation STB, picks up all the stations using this same setup very easily.

I have changed antenna's, locations, wiring, etc... does not make a difference. I think it may be 1 of 3 things now:

1) For some reason, only 2 stations in Dayton are using all the PSIP information that Zoom requires

*or*

2) The zoom box OTA tuner is bad

*or*

3) Software glitch trying to add 2 maps of information that are in different cities

any ideas?

1) it's Voom

2) hey why didn't you keep this in your other threads about the same thing?

3) Are there stations in Dayton and Cinci that share the same RF freq?

depends on which zip/city Voom has you programmed for..........at present they dictate which stations PG you can have

I too have two antennas and have the same problem with the antenna pointed toward Richmond VA (not my home DMA). The VOOM receiver won't "lock" on two of the stations (CBS, PBS), however my Mits w/integrated tuner will. A possible solution would be to enable a feature for the VOOM STB to manually tune stations (which probably won't happen...and won't solve the problem nor will it populate the PG) or wait for Motorola to complete work on their "Super DMA Map" which will supposedly be ready in late-September or October.

I also have a local PAX stations that never "locks" while scanning, but it's really not a problem since it is already mapped in my PG. I have noticed that some of the newer STB (like Samsung and VOOM) may be having a problem "locking" on stations which use a Tandberg decoder...at least this is my case.

I contacted both stations and they both claim they are sending a PSIP datastream that the VOOM OTA module should be able to decode. Since my Mits OTA works just fine, they tell me it's a problem with the VOOM STB and not with their PSIP. FYI, the digital tuner in my Mits also decodes QAM so I use if for Cable HD (INHDs, HDNETs). Ugh!!!

You best option is to wait for the "Super DMA Map".

BTW....check out the following post: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25826

"in order for a channel to get saved in the VOOM map, PSIP must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name. (FYI: you cannot manually tune a channel on the VOOM receiver)"

can you find out, for these stations, these three pieces of information: "Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name". I like to know and send it to the engineers at VOOM to see if the information that these stations are sending on their PSIP stream matches the one in the VOOM receiver. Please let me know this and I can check quickly with the engineers at VOOM. Send me the information to Sean_Mota@satelliteguys.us.

Everyone,
Spoke to the engineering department at WKEF-TV (Channel 51.1.. ABC) and WRGT (Channel 31.1.. FOX)

They are NOT sending out any PSIP information what-so-ever..they were sending it out earlier in the year, but had so many problems with it they pulled it off. They are hoping to have it before football season but may not occur til the beginning of the year.

Spoke to 2 people in the engineering dept. for WHIO TV (Channel 41.1 CBS).

They also are not sending any PSIP information at all right now. They are expecting a new generator in September and to call back then.

Is this the reason why the station is not locking? Or should it lock but just not give PG info? :no

MichaelJames said:
Is this the reason why the station is not locking? Or should it lock but just not give PG info? :no
-All stations in your home DMA are mapped in your PG and should have all programming info.

-Stations outside your home DMA (or those stations that were left out of your home DMA map) will "lock" if they contain a valid PSIP datastream. The channel will be contained in your PG, but they will contain no programming informaiton.

-Stations outside your home DMA (or those stations not identified in your home DMA map) will not "lock" if they do not broadcast a valid PSIP datastream...it will not lock regardless of the signal strength.

Off the Voom site, I am set up with the following program guide.. these are stations in both dayton and Cinci...so does that mean that my DMA map includes all of these stations? If so then I have everything mapped, but I still cannot lock onto channels 7, 22, 45 and others that are coming from Dayton, but are listed below. These stations are not sending their PSIP data right now but I am getting a strong signal from them.

Springboro Lineup (45066)

Wed, Aug 25Thu, Aug 26Fri, Aug 27Sat, Aug 28Sun, Aug 29Mon, Aug 30Tue, Aug 31Wed, Sep 1Thu, Sep 2Fri, Sep 3Sat, Sep 4Sun, Sep 5Mon, Sep 6Tue, Sep 7 1:002:003:004:005:006:007:008:009:0010:0011:0012:00 AMPM All CategoriesAction / AdAdultAnimalsBioBiz / FinChildren'sComedyCrimeDocDramaEduEnt / NewsHealth / FitnessHorrorInfoMovieMusicalMysteryNewsRealityRomanceSciFiSeriesShoppingSoapsSpecialSpiritualSport - EventsSportsSports / InfoTalk / TabloidWesterns All StationsWAVEWBDTWBDTDTWBNSWBQCCAWCETWCETDTWCETDT2WCETDT3WCETDT4WCETDT5WCMHWCPOWCPODTWCVNWCVNDTWCVNDT2WCVNDT3WCVNDT4WDTNWDTNDTWDTNDT2WHIOWHIODTWKEFWKEFDTWKEFDT2WKOIWKOIDTWKRCWKRCDTWKRCDT2WLWTWLWTDTWPTDWPTOWPTODT2WPTODT3WPTODT4WPTODT5WPTODT6WRCXLPWRGTWRGTDTWSTRWSTRDTWSYXWWHOWWHODTWWRDLPWXIXWXIXDT70S80SACMAXACTONADALTALTAMCANIMALANIMANIARNHITARTSATMAXAUCTIONHBETBIOBLUSBOOMBRAVOBRAVODTCINEM10CINEMA1CINEMA2CINEMA3CINEMA4CINEMA5CINEMA6CINEMA7CINEMA8CINEMA9CLASRBCLSRCKCNBCCNNCNNFNCNNHCOMEDYCOURTCSPANCSPAN2DHCDHDDISNDSCENCHDENCOREEQUATORESPNESPN2ESPNCLESPNEWSESPNHDETVFAMFAMZFNCFSWLDFUELFUSEFXGALLERYGOLDOLDGOLFGSNHALMRKHB2WHBOHBO2HBOCHBOFHBOHDHBOHDPHBOPHBOSIGHDNEWSHISTORYHITLISTIFCINVOOMJZZKNSDLOVELTCLASSMASTERPMAXMAXHDMAXHDPMAXPMOMAXMOMAXPMONSTERMOOVMSNBCMTVMYSTERYNBCDTNEXTNFLNETNFLVOOMNIKOLNOXYGENPLBYVMRAVERBHIPRUSHSFTROCKSHOTOOSHOWSHOWHDSHOWHDPSHOWXSMJZZSNDSCPSOAPSPALTSPEEDSPIKETVSTARZSTARZFSTARZHDSTRZHDPSTYLETBSTCMTDCNTRYTENNISTHMAXTLCTMCTMCHDTNTTNTHDTOONTOONDTRAVTVLANDTWCULTRAUSAVH1WEWRLDSPTWVIT

4:00 PM 4:30 PM 5:00 PM 5:30 PM 6:00 PM 6:30 PM
WDTNDT Oprah Winfrey (Talk / Tabloid) TVPG CC 2News at 5:00 (News) CC 2News at 5:30 (News) CC 2News at 6:00 (News) CC ABC World News Tonight (News) CC 2.1
WDTNDT
WDTNDT2 Oprah Winfrey (Talk / Tabloid) TVPG CC 2News at 5:00 (News) CC 2News at 5:30 (News) CC 2News at 6:00 (News) CC ABC World News Tonight (News) CC 2.2
WDTNDT2
WLWTDT Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) News 5 at 5:00 (News) News 5 at 5:30 (News) News 5 at 6:00 (News) NBC Nightly News (News) CC 5.1
WLWTDT
WHIODT Inside Edition (Talk / Tabloid) CC Pyramid (Game) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) NewsCenter 7 At 5:00 (News) CC NewsCenter 7 at 5:30 (News) CC NewsCenter 7 at 6:00 (News) CC CBS Evening News (News) CC Stereo 7.1
WHIODT
WCPODT Oprah Winfrey (Talk / Tabloid) TVPG CC 9 News at 5 (News) 9 News at 5:30 (News) 9 News at 6 (News) ABC World News Tonight (News) CC 9.1
WCPODT
WKRCDT Local 12 News: First at Four (News) CC Inside Edition (Talk / Tabloid) CC Local 12 News at 5 (News) CC Local 12 News at 5:30 (News) CC Local 12 News at 6 (News) CC CBS Evening News (News) CC Stereo 12.1
WKRCDT
WKRCDT2 Radar Radar 12.2
WKRCDT2
WPTODT2 The Big Comfy Couch (Children's) CC Stereo Dragon Tales : Teasing Is Not Pleasing; Team Work (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Clifford the Big Red Dog : Who Moved My Bone?; Clifford the Pirate King (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS George Shrinks : Down the Drain (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat : New Year's Clean-Up; Firefly Nights (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Caillou : Winter (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS 14.2
WPTODT2
WPTODT3 American Experience : Monkey Trial TVG CC Stereo DVS Jim Crow's Museum (Special) TVPG CC Stereo DVS Nature : Ravens TVPG CC Stereo DVS Darling Buds of May Part 1 of 2: Cast Not Your Pearls Before Swine (Comedy) TVPG Stereo 14.3
WPTODT3
WPTODT4 The Merrow Report : Lost in Translation: Latinos, Schools and Society (Doc) CC The Merrow Report Part 3 of 3: Preventing Dropouts (Doc) CC The Whole Child: A Caregiver's Guide to the First Five Years : Growing Minds CC Stereo The Router Workshop : Shoe Rack (How-to) CC Stereo Handyma'am With Beverly DeJulio : Perfect Plumbing Projects (How-to) CC Stereo 14.4
WPTODT4
WPTODT5 Journal (News) Euromaxx Tony Brown's Journal Part 2 of 2: The History of Black Music: Part II (Talk / Tabloid) CC Focus Asia : Fishy Business; Second Sight; Book Binders (Doc) TVPG CC Stereo BBC World News (News) CC Made in Germany (Biz / Fin) 14.5
WPTODT5
WPTODT6 SIGN OFF 14.6
WPTODT6
WXIXDT On Air With Ryan Seacrest (Talk / Tabloid) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Dharma & Greg : The Official Dharma & Greg Episode of the 1998 Winter Olympics TVPG CC Stereo King of the Hill : Shins of the Father TVPG CC Stereo That '70s Show : Canadian Road Trip TVPG CC Stereo The King of Queens : Ticker Treat TVPG CC Stereo 19.1
WXIXDT
WKEFDT Judge Joe Brown (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Joe Brown (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) NBC 22 News (News) NBC Nightly News (News) CC 22.1
WKEFDT
WKEFDT2 Judge Joe Brown (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Joe Brown (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) Judge Judy (Reality) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) NBC 22 News (News) NBC Nightly News (News) CC 22.2
WKEFDT2
WBDTDT Pokémon : Ariados Amigos! (Children's) TVY CC Stereo (Repeat) Yu-Gi-Oh! Part 2 of 2: Yugi vs. the Rare Hunter (Children's) TVY7 CC Stereo (Repeat) Will & Grace Part 1 of 2: Moveable Feast (Special) TV14 CC Stereo Will & Grace : Tea and a Total Lack of Sympathy TV14 CC Stereo The King of Queens : Ticker Treat TVPG CC Stereo That '70s Show : Canadian Road Trip TVPG CC Stereo 26.1
WBDTDT
WKOIDT John Hagee Today (Spiritual) CC Rod Parsley (Spiritual) CC Praise the Lord (Spiritual) CC 43.1
WKOIDT
WRGTDT Becker : Santa on Ice (Special) TVPG CC Stereo Dharma & Greg : The Official Dharma & Greg Episode of the 1998 Winter Olympics TVPG CC Stereo On Air With Ryan Seacrest (Talk / Tabloid) TVPG CC Stereo (Repeat) The Simpsons : Bye Bye Nerdy TVPG CC Stereo King of the Hill : Shins of the Father TVPG CC Stereo 45.1
WRGTDT
WCETDT SIGN OFF 48.1
WCETDT
WCETDT2 Cyberchase : Totally Rad (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Arthur : Hide and Snake; Muffy's New Best Friend (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Zoom (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Tavis Smiley (Talk / Tabloid) CC Stereo The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer (Talk / Tabloid) CC 48.2
WCETDT2
WCETDT3 Zoom (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Cyberchase : Castleblanca (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Arthur : D.W.'s Library Card; Arthur's Big Hit (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS George Shrinks : Down the Drain (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat : How Sagwa Got Her Colors (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Dragon Tales : Sticky Situation; Green Thumbs (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS 48.3
WCETDT3
WCETDT4 In Julia's Kitchen With Master Chefs : Jim Dodge (How-to) CC Stereo Julia Child: Cooking With Master Chefs : Amy Ferguson-Ota (Cooking) CC Stereo Charlie Rose (Talk / Tabloid) CC Stereo The Router Workshop : Shoe Rack (How-to) CC Stereo Handyma'am With Beverly DeJulio : Perfect Plumbing Projects (How-to) CC Stereo 48.4
WCETDT4
WCETDT5 The Merrow Report : Lost in Translation: Latinos, Schools and Society (Doc) CC The Merrow Report Part 3 of 3: Preventing Dropouts (Doc) CC The Whole Child: A Caregiver's Guide to the First Five Years : Growing Minds CC Stereo Social Studies in Action: A Teaching Practices Library, K-12 : Introduction to the Video Library (Edu) CC Social Studies in Action: A Teaching Practices Library, K-12 : Creating Effective Citizens (Edu) CC 48.5
WCETDT5
WWHODT Roseanne : Darlene Fades to Black CC Stereo Roseanne : Tolerate Thy Neighbor CC Stereo The People's Court (Reality) TVPG CC (Repeat) The King of Queens : Supermarket Story TVG CC Stereo That '70s Show : Canadian Road Trip TVPG CC Stereo 53.1
WWHODT
WCVNDT Cyberchase : Totally Rad (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Reading Rainbow : Mama Don't Allow (Children's) TVY CC DVS Clifford the Big Red Dog : Who Moved My Bone?; Clifford the Pirate King (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Dragon Tales : Teasing Is Not Pleasing; Team Work (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS GED Connection (Edu) TVG CC Nightly Business Report (Biz / Fin) CC Stereo 54.1
WCVNDT
WCVNDT2 The Piano Guy (Musical) TVG CC Stereo Hands On: Crafts for Kids : Hawaii (Children's) TVG CC DragonFlyTV : Human Body (Children's) TVY CC Stereo Real Science! : Space Encounters (Edu) TVG CC Arthur : Hide and Snake; Muffy's New Best Friend (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS Cyberchase : Totally Rad (Children's) TVY CC Stereo DVS 54.2
WCVNDT2
WCVNDT3 SIGN OFF 54.3
WCVNDT3
WCVNDT4 The Merrow Report : Lost in Translation: Latinos, Schools and Society (Doc) CC The Merrow Report Part 3 of 3: Preventing Dropouts (Doc) CC The Whole Child: A Caregiver's Guide to the First Five Years : Growing Minds CC Stereo Social Studies in Action: A Teaching Practices Library, K-12 : Introduction to the Video Library (Edu) CC Social Studies in Action: A Teaching Practices Library, K-12 : Creating Effective Citizens (Edu) CC 54.4
WCVNDT4
WSTRDT Pokémon : Ariados Amigos! (Children's) TVY CC Stereo (Repeat) Yu-Gi-Oh! Part 2 of 2: Yugi vs. the Rare Hunter (Children's) TVY7 CC Stereo (Repeat) The People's Court (Reality) TVPG CC (Repeat) Frasier : Trophy Girlfriend TVPG CC Stereo Will & Grace : Tea and a Total Lack of Sympathy TV14 CC Stereo 64.1
WSTRDT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)