2 dishes on one mast (and an upside down one)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Had some time to kill over the weekend, and I really wanted to see if there was anything free on the wings (I knew about the Int'l promo channel). One problem.....didn’t know where to put it

I really didn’t want to put another dish on the roof and really didn’t want another on the deck. I wanted it to be temporary so if there really wasn’t anything there I can take it down. And, the head of our HOA is still gung ho about the amount of dishes I have. So I figure "what the hell....I have a TV antenna. Let’s mount the masts to that :)

So I duct taped a couple of masts at approximately where the dish would aim to for BOTH 61.5 and 148 on my existing TV antenna mast. Now, for the newbies, this REALLY isn’t recommended because the rule we preach is “The pole MUST be plumb” and that’s true. Well, this isn’t plumb (these are angled) so I had to use some math (and some experience knowing where the dish should aim at).

The 61.5 elevation is supposed to be 29. But the way the pole was mounted I couldn’t get it to that. Then I remember Pete (PSB) doing an “upside down dish”. So I tried that. Got a 90 on signal : ) Elevation is set to about 10.

148 was a little tougher. The elevation is normally 16…but the pole isn’t plumb. So I had to wing it. I was using my old 5000 receiver so aiming it is like aiming KU. If it was a newer Dish receiver (like a 301), it registers signal right away. The 5000 thinks about it first. Also, the pole was mounted too far west, so I had to twist the dish (and work on elevation) to get it to work. I got around a 85 on the 148 dish

Scanned both satellites and I gained 6 channels
-Int’l promo on 61.5
-Int’l promo on 148
-4 channels that are the same as Dish 101 (Ch 491). Why does it show up 4 times? I don’t know.

All and all it was a fun little project. We got snow the next day so the upside down dish had about 2 inches of snow on it (until it got warm...then it slid right off)

Here are some pictures. The closeup of the elevation scale is the 148 dish :)

Last edited:
Its a thing of beauty, and a joy for life. All you need are some Xmas lights and you are all set for next year...as I always say "Where there is a will there IS a way". Thanks for the Pictures Iceberg, good work!

Pete
the question was what did the snow do to the signal :)

Derwin
it did drop the signal down from 90 to about 75-80 (on a 1-100 scale). Still worked fine. Now this was the real fluffy stuff. 2" of heavy wet snow probably would have knocked it out

Whoops :eek:

I think an experiment is in order here........

I think we may find the signal degradation was caused by atmospheric moisture (between the dish and satellite) and not the actual snow on the dish. Maybe worth experimenting with.......get some snow keep it in the freezer then place it on the inverted dish on a nice clear (dry) day. Only then will the above be proved one way or another!

I also found this.....

Q./ Will snow degrade the signal on my dish?

A./ No, snow on your dish will not degrade your signal. However, the weight of the snow on your dish may pull your dish out of alignment (especially if you use the duct tape method of installation pioneered by MN. satellite enthusiast Iceberg). Periodically, use a broom to keep your dish clean of snow during the winter months.

Now I just need to find some snow for the above experiment......... any ideas where I can get some?

Good idea :)

Theres a snowbank in the driveway. I'll grab some and try this on Saturday (when its bright and sunny out)

PSB said:
(especially if you use the duct tape method of installation pioneered by MN. satellite enthusiast Iceberg).

If Red Green can put 2 K Cars together with duct tape, why cant I put 2 dishes on a mast with it :d

okay I looked at the pictures in the other post and on this one - I'm still wondering how you get the dish in that position. can't figure out how you did it. It's way excellent

The mast in a normal position would be at a vertical position, or 90 degrees. It took a lot of thinking (and patience) to get it to work. Basically, the mast is just upside down and at an angle. That allows me to add the dish. There is probably some scientific way to figure out “if pole is at 90 and elevation is 24 blah blah blah”…I’ve done enough of these installing that I know APPROXIMATELLY where it should be and know about how the dish angle should be. Once I get it in the neighborhood, its just slowly move left to right…doesn’t work, move elevation and retry

148 was harder because the pole is too far west so as I moved the dish, the elevation got higher..so I had to compensate for it.

I know PSB has a meter…I just use the meter on the receiver (yeah, I know….I really need a meter) but it took a fair amount of knowledge of where the satellite is, and visual memory of what 16 elevation looks like and approx where it should be.

And PSB…..I will be using hose clamps once I get some small enough : )

PSB said:
Now I just need to find some snow for the above experiment......... any ideas where I can get some?
I have as much snow as you could possibly want, please give me an address to send it too : )

I would "stick" with the duct tape!
Another great MN. Invention (3M)

The old inverted DBS dish trick was used a lot some customers do not want any holes in their roof so it was often used to mount a DBS dish under the eaves of a roof, works great. If it does get messed up with snow it takes seconds to brush it off.

drhydro, so you want to export snow to MN. : )

I would invest in that business model, its a winner!

Its a bit like trying to sell toothpaste us Brits.

What is this "snow" you speak of? and in post #7 you say it has banks?

I am going to put on some suntan lotion ( spf 30 cause it's very bright out ) and go and see if I can find any of this stuff you speak of.

Dish 101 is the "how to" channel for Dish Network. How to use your receiver. Charlie Chats are also on there :)

Ch 101 and mirrored on 480, 490, and 491 (491 is on 148...the rest are on 119)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)