2 HDTVs with 1 722k

ig888ack

Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Opelika, AL
Do all the connections for "TV1" on the 722k function at the same time or can only one be active at a time? I ask because I would like to run 2 HDTVs with HD quality from just one receiver if possible.

My current setup is one 722k with a component/optical audio output from TV1 to an HDTV and the modulated TV2 connection to a SDTV in another room. I am thinking of upgrading my SDTV to an HDTV this christmas. I would like to stick with just the one receiver if possible and get HD quality on both TVs.

I can get an in-wall rated HDMI cable for much less than the $100 they quoted me on getting another receiver (not to mention the $7/month fee). So I was thinking if all the connections on the back of my 722k are active at the same time, could I keep my current TV hooked up via component/optical audio and then also run an HDMI connection to the other room via a long HDMI cable (the run is less than 50 ft). It would be essentially like running in Single Mode but I would get 1080i resolution on both TVs instead of one at 1080i and one at 480i.

Does anyone know if this will work?
Thanks for the help!

Dish Network does not make a satellite receiver (nobody does) that does two HD outputs. You need two HD receivers. A lot of people go with the cheaper 612 because of this buying two of them instead of two 722's. This is the reason why Dish chose to make the 612.

You can do the trick you mentioned by having HD in both rooms which is like having single mode on TV1. That is the best way to go at this point if you want to stick with one satellite receiver. I would definitely try the in-wall rated HDMI cable.

Dish currently has a "3 TV" limit that they will "give" you, so you could get three (3) 612's if you think you will have a 3rd HDTV. 612 does not have PIP nor 2nd TV experience like the 722.

If you did that you would receive HD in the second room but would not be able to watch seperate programming. The only way to watch separate programming off of one receiver is if the second tv is in standard definition

You can get an excellent quality "in wall" rated HDMI cable from monoprice.com for WAY less than $100. Unlike normal though, their shipping now is S L O W because of a warehouse move. My 622 & 722 are each feeding 2 HD TV's as well.

Ed

yep just did this but also bought a HDMi splitter, so that i use hdmi only.
Bought both from monoprice 50ft hdmi was $39 and splitter ( i bought the pro there is a cheaper one may work for you) at $59
Didnt notice shipping was that bad, but maybe i was lucky, also returned some stuff i didn't use, HDMI wall plates no problem at all.

Talks to DVR OK?

yep just did this but also bought a HDMi splitter, so that i use hdmi only.
Bought both from monoprice 50ft hdmi was $39 and splitter ( i bought the pro there is a cheaper one may work for you) at $59
Didnt notice shipping was that bad, but maybe i was lucky, also returned some stuff i didn't use, HDMI wall plates no problem at all.

When using an HDMI splitter does it talk back to the 722k and pass test? I just wonder that it won't do that and says no way is this right and won't show anything because of it. :confused:

When using an HDMI splitter does it talk back to the 722k and pass test? I just wonder that it won't do that and says no way is this right and won't show anything because of it. :confused:

My 622 is working with both TV's right now through the splitter

i guess i should have said it was a 622 earlier and not a 722k. Apologies if i confused but i assumed the 722 and 622 were similar in that respect

here's the splitter im using if it helps answer the question http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=4921&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
Output 2

My 622 is working with both TV's right now through the splitter

i guess i should have said it was a 622 earlier and not a 722k. Apologies if i confused but i assumed the 722 and 622 were similar in that respect

here's the splitter im using if it helps answer the question For only $55.41 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI Splitter (1.3b ATC Certified) | HDMI Active/Powered Splitter

I'm really surprised that any work well with 2 HDTV's on HDMI. I use a Yamaha RX-V1900 to switch all my inputs to my Panny 1080p plasma HDTV. I thought that hand shake issue was a problem but maybe the powered splitter works to cure the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)