2 Hopper setup questions

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
We're currently looking to move away from our single 722 DVR setup. Our family needs have grown and we've recently purchased HDTVs to replace our SDTVs. We're looking into getting a 2 Hopper/3 Joey setup and comparing it to DirecTV's Genie. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but the Genie is definitely a centralized unit where the user(s) can have complete control over the DVR. I know the Genie has 5 tuners, 4 of which can actual be used as live tuners. So it's not perfect either.

If we use two Hoppers my understanding is that both Hoppers and Joeys can see the recording on both Hoppers. Is this correct?

Also, each Joey needs to be linked to one Hopper. So a Joey linked to Hopper 1 can only use the tuners from Hopper 1? If this is right, how quickly can a person link this Joey to Hopper 2 if all tuners are occupied on Hopper 1?

Can recordings be deleted using any Joey in the house or by the other Hopper where the recording is not stored?

Can a recording be moved from one Hopper to another?

Can a Joey set up a recording on the Hopper, which it is not linked? Can the other Hopper?

Can RG-59 be used with the Joeys?

I think you can see where my questions are going. We need the whole house DVR solution to be fairly seamless and easy to use.

Thanks!

If we use two Hoppers my understanding is that both Hoppers and Joeys can see the recording on both Hoppers. Is this correct? Yes

Also, each Joey needs to be linked to one Hopper. So a Joey linked to Hopper 1 can only use the tuners from Hopper 1? If this is right, how quickly can a person link this Joey to Hopper 2 if all tuners are occupied on Hopper 1? A few seconds

Can recordings be deleted using any Joey in the house or by the other Hopper where the recording is not stored? Yes

Can a recording be moved from one Hopper to another? No, an EHD transfer works though

Can a Joey set up a recording on the Hopper, which it is not linked? Can the other Hopper? No and No

Can RG-59 be used with the Joeys? Yes, according to Dish

More info on these two:

Also, each Joey needs to be linked to one Hopper. So a Joey linked to Hopper 1 can only use the tuners from Hopper 1? If this is right, how quickly can a person link this Joey to Hopper 2 if all tuners are occupied on Hopper 1? On the remote... Yellow, 8, 4... Pretty much instantaneous at that point

Can RG-59 be used with the Joeys? yes, in most circumstances.. see here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=279755

Thanks for the replies! I think my questions were answered.

Can a user from a Joey see what is scheduled to record on either Hopper without changing its link, so we don't duplicate recordings on accident?

I should've clarified this question further.
Can recordings be deleted using any Joey (even if it is not linked to the Hopper where the recording is located at)?

To delete recordings from another Hopper you would have to link that Joey to the specific Hopper

Thanks for the replies! I think my questions were answered.

Can a user from a Joey see what is scheduled to record on either Hopper without changing its link, so we don't duplicate recordings on accident?

I should've clarified this question further.
Can recordings be deleted using any Joey (even if it is not linked to the Hopper where the recording is located at)?

Something else to keep in mind is that you will have upwards of 2000 hours of record time in HD between the two Hoppers. If you have a duplicate show here and there its certainly not going to be a big deal.

I helped my neighbors configure all their recordings when I set theirs up. What they decided to do was setup all their prime time network stuff on one and then everything else on the other. Works great for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts