2 Hoppers; Steps to acess both Hoppers DVR recordings from Joeys cumbersome

EVerburg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 19, 2012
South Carolina
From the Hopper manual posted by Scott, page 36 (in adobe, not actual):

"HOMES WITH A SECOND HOPPER INSTALLED

To access the DVR library on a second Hopper from any Joey Receiver in your Whole-
Home DVR system, do the following:
1 Press the MENU button and select the Settings tile on the Main Menu screen.
2 Select Network Setup, and then Whole-Home.
3 Using the ARROW buttons, highlight and select the other Hopper in your home to link to it.
4 Highlight and select the Save option when you have finished.
Now you will see the DVR library on your newly linked Hopper when you press the DVR
button. Repeat these steps to re-link to your original Hopper to access its DVR library."

This is not the type of connectivity between two Hoppers and Joeys I was hoping for. I envisioned the Joeys automatically seeing both Hoppers recordings at one time.

This is not the type of connectivity between two Hoppers and Joeys I was hoping for. I envisioned the Joeys automatically seeing both Hoppers recordings at one time.
dish is envisioning the same thing this summer when they push a new software to the hopper/joey

dish is envisioning the same thing this summer when they push a new software to the hopper/joey

Will 2 hoppers be able to see each other in the sense that when you press the red button, you see 6 tuners rather than 3?

Would be nice to see ALL of your recordings in the DVR listing as well...no matter if you are on a Joey or a Hopper. Would free up 1 tuner in my house as I could turn off PTAT on one hopper rather than have it running on both.

I hope you are right. They say they are going to push software to allow the Hoppers to talk to each other. If you are on a Hopper now and you go to access the the other Hoppers recordings a message pops up saying the feature is not yet enabled. I hope that isn't the only thing we are waiting on. I can follow the steps in my first post now from a Joey and change Hoppers to view the other recordings. It's just tedious. I do so hope this is going to change.

Last edited:
Will 2 hoppers be able to see each other in the sense that when you press the red button, you see 6 tuners rather than 3?

Would be nice to see ALL of your recordings in the DVR listing as well...no matter if you are on a Joey or a Hopper. Would free up 1 tuner in my house as I could turn off PTAT on one hopper rather than have it running on both.
correct, you'll be able to use all six tuners. And you'll only have to have PTAT enabled on one and the other Hopper would be able to view those recordings.

The whole thing will be seamless. They already have it tested, they just need to polish up the system which takes time.

correct, you'll be able to use all six tuners. And you'll only have to have PTAT enabled on one and the other Hopper would be able to view those recordings.

The whole thing will be seamless. They already have it tested, they just need to polish up the system which takes time.

Sounds good, thanks sparc.

I hope you are right. They say they are going to push software to allow the Hoppers to talk to each other. If you are on a Hopper now and you go to access the the other Hoppers recordings a message pops up saying the feature is not yet enabled. I hope that isn't the only thing we are waiting on. I can follow the steps in the first post now from a Joey and change Hoppers to view the other recordings. It's just tedious.
totally agree, but it could be worse. Some of us weren't even sure we'd be able to change the joey pairing this easily.

This and the OTA are the two biggest things that people on this site are waiting on before they signup or upgrade to the Hopper. There's a number of little things that are basically coming soon as well, but nothing that would make me too unhappy.

totally agree, but it could be worse. Some of us weren't even sure we'd be able to change the joey pairing this easily.

This and the OTA are the two biggest things that people on this site are waiting on before they signup or upgrade to the Hopper. There's a number of little things that are basically coming soon as well, but nothing that would make me too unhappy.

Yeah. It's still a pretty bad@$$ system, even in its infancy.

From the Hopper manual posted by Scott, page 36 (in adobe, not actual):

"HOMES WITH A SECOND HOPPER INSTALLED

To access the DVR library on a second Hopper from any Joey Receiver in your Whole-
Home DVR system, do the following:
1 Press the MENU button and select the Settings tile on the Main Menu screen.
2 Select Network Setup, and then Whole-Home.
3 Using the ARROW buttons, highlight and select the other Hopper in your home to link to it.
4 Highlight and select the Save option when you have finished.
Now you will see the DVR library on your newly linked Hopper when you press the DVR
button. Repeat these steps to re-link to your original Hopper to access its DVR library."

Use the shortcuts:

Blue Button
"4"
Left Arrow
Down
Down
Down
Select
Select

At most eight presses in a 2H/2J/1HIC system. I imagine you might need to add a "Down" for each additional joey.

If this were going to be needed long term maybe they should streamline it, but for short term I don't think it's too bad.

I hope you are right. Have you seen anything from Dish that promises software this summer? I hate to see expectations set and people get disappointed. This is the kind of thing that will cause disgruntled posts, "Dish promised this" when in fact I don't think they ever did give an exact date. I think it is safer to say that Dish is working on the software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts