2 Hoppers vs Hopper & Super Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I currently have 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. I am debating switching to a 1 Hopper, 1 Super Joey, 2 Joey setup but want to make sure I under the differences. Is the following comparison accurate:

2 Hoppers / 2 Joeys
  • 6 tuners total
  • Tuners are separate so if 1 Hopper runs out it won't grab an available tuner on the other hopper
  • Recordings are separate but you can view any recording on any TV
  • 4 TB of storage total

1 Hopper / 1 Super Joey / 2 Joeys
  • 5 tuners total
  • While tuners are on 2 devices the whole systems works seamlessly as if it was one 5 tuner device
  • All recordings are on one device
  • 2 TB of storage

I realize for some people the seamless integration of the Hopper / Super Joey will be perfect for them and they will want to switch. But for me, I am not sure i want to give up the extra 2 tb of storage plus I tend to use 1 hopper for kids recordings and the other hopper has most of the grown up shows. I sort of like keeping them separate.

What am I overlooking in my comparison? I know their might be a slight price difference but nothing is official regarding price plus we are talking $5 at most.

I currently have two original hoppers and have been debating switching them out for Hopper with Sling but don't want to do this if I end up going with a Hopper / Super Joey setup.

Only you can decide if the trade offs are worth it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes the 2 Hopper set up gives you a backup if for some reason of one Hopper goes bad, you can still watch tv with the other Hopper. My set up as well is the 2 Hopper/ 1 Joey as well

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's not to say it would be great if I it was possible to swap my Joey for a Super Joey......ah to dream

I'm in the other camp, I suppose. For me, storage-wise, I've been fine with one Hopper, so I am looking forward to the Super Joey simply adding two additional integrated tuners. Three tuners seems perfect for my recording needs, but frequently all three are in use, so adding another (or two in this case) would give me back the option for live tv in these instances. I certainly agree with the idea of redundancy of two Hoppers, but I really have never had the interest in manual load sharing of timers/recordings as opposed to the full integration of a Super Joey. Super Joey seems tailor made to my situation...looking forward to it! :)

I have two Hoppers, two Joeys and while all the super Joey mania was interesting, I certainly wouldn't change. If you've ever had a Hopper fail (twice, so far for me) having another as backup was indispensable.

The analysis leaves out discussion of OTA and EHD. With 2 hoppers you can have 2 OTA tuners. You can only have 1 with Hopper/SJ. So for me its 8 tuners vs. 6. I also have 4 EHDs , 2 on each HWS. I believe with 1 hopper/SJ you can only see 2 EHDs at a time.

There's also the 96 timer / 576 event limit, two Hoppers are capable of 192 timers / 1152 events.

There's also the 96 timer / 576 event limit, two Hoppers are capable of 192 timers / 1152 events.

A couple of days ago I finally hit the timer limit on one of my Hoppers and it was 95. I know the 722s use to go to 96. Haven't hit an event limit yet on any of my Hoppers. Have you hit the timer limit yet on your Hoppers?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. However, I have a question. I am trying to make my mind up about whether or not I want to come back to Dish. Does anyone know if an accoutn can have two Hoppers and a SuperJoey to give 8 tuners?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. However, I have a question. I am trying to make my mind up about whether or not I want to come back to Dish. Does anyone know if an accoutn can have two Hoppers and a SuperJoey to give 8 tuners?

That is not allowed at this time. A Super Joey can only be on a single Hopper account.

I personally would go with two hoppers. For some reason, I feel my Joey is slightly sluggish when compared to the hopper. Not sure if the super joey performs the same way as a regular hopper with additional tuners.

At the moment, you can have two hoppers, two joeys. Or one hopper and one super joey.
I have two hoppers and two regular joeys'. One of the hopper is Sling.

Do the 2 hoppers see each other? If all three tuners on hopper 1 are in use and you need a 4th tuner on hopper 1, can you then start a recording on hopper 1 using a hopper 2 tuner? Does hopper 2 then work like a super joey?

Do the 2 hoppers see each other? If all three tuners on hopper 1 are in use and you need a 4th tuner on hopper 1, can you then start a recording on hopper 1 using a hopper 2 tuner? Does hopper 2 then work like a super joey?

The 2 hoppers can see each others recordings. From the DVR page there is a drop down which allows you to select either hopper or a connected EHD. There is a work around. If all 3 turners are in use, you can start another recording from the second hopper. Then from the first hopper you can go to DVR and select hopper #2 and then select the recording you just started. There is suspose to be new software that would force the recording to 2nd hopper if all turners are being used on the first, but who knows when that will happen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)