2 meter installation

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
A little unorthodox but at least there's no need to climb the roof. 3 Element beam is only 9 feet above ground but elevation here is almost 300' ASL

Attachments

• 3el two meter beam.JPG
    3el two meter beam.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 236
Nice antenna! I got my 2m antenna mounted a few weeks ago. Replaced the mast for my ota antenna with 16ga gavanized while I was at it. Antenna is a little Diamond X-50A fed by LMR-400.

x50a.jpg

Not my picture but it is the 2m base setup I have. A Samlex case and power supply with a Kenwood TM-281A. Already had a TM-281A mobile rig and programming cable, and could not pass up the deal I got at MTC Texas Sized Ham Radio and Electronic Deals | MTC for $99.

1591491272574.png

Mobile rig. Took out the factory Double DIN radio, got a double to single DIN conversion mount, and carefully cut out the little glove box section and added the TM-281A.

1591491978486.png

TM-281A is on the lower left. It uses one of the Signalinks for packet Winlink. I used a bigger 35 Amp power supply in the case to power both radios, saves space. They sell the case with a 12 or 23 amper but I confirmed with Samlex that the 35 AMP supply is the same size and will fit as they will sell you the case without a power supply.

The screen on the left was me cheating at WSPR :devilish by using 10 Watts, made it to New Zealand!! Made the radio self thing out of old pine shelf boards and stain I had laying around. Just got it all going in the past few weeks.

office2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: N5XZS
Not laughing. I'll bet it performs better than a duck antenna.
Yes, amazingly well. I live in eastern PA and I was talking with a guy on a tugboat on the Hudson river clear as a bell. I know he was legit because his sister goes to church with my wife and told us at the coffee shop the next day about her brother talking to some guy in PA the night before. She was shocked to learn it was me. I've had this Kenwood 6 years now and I love it. Great 2 meter unit.

Using repeaters I've talked with guys in Wales, Spain, and all the way to Guam, not to mention Texas, Florida, and California etc.. Pretty cool. :cool:

Reactions: k.r. and fred555

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts