2 New to me IPTV boxes

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I attended the San Diego County Fair Wednesday and saw two new devices that look interesting.
They were basically nearly identical hardware and claims.
What claim to offer is connect to the internet, WiFi or Ethernet, connect to your HDMI TV, connect to power (wall outlet) and watch any movie or TV show ever made with no monthly charge or pay pay per view.
One was RedRhino out of Toronto, the other was AmazingTV.

Does anyone know anything about this. Is it legitimate or will the courts take it down like they did with the service out of New York.

What they claim to have done is to have searched the internet for every streaming TV and movie site and programed their Android box to provide a user friendly interface to find every streaming service out there and provide easy access to all of it.

Does anyone know anything about this. Is it legitimate or will the courts take it down like they did with the service out of New York.

What they claim to have done is to have searched the internet for every streaming TV and movie site and programed their Android box to provide a user friendly interface to find every streaming service out there and provide easy access to all of it.

Sounds to me like they are just running XBMC, or now known as Kodi.... So they took a generic Chinese box, loaded it with the XBMC app, and give a hokey story, and sell them like hotcakes because people think they are getting something new.

Kodi is a media center application that started out as XBMC years ago, [XBMC stands for X Box Media Center, it was made to run on the original X Box] it runs on multiple platforms now. Do a search for Kodi or XBMC and you should find everything you'd want to know of it.

It is a good program, but it does have quite a few gray areas as far as legality and you can access stuff that isn't legal if you set it up for that, it all depends on how you set it up. I used/worked on XBMC back when it was on the original X Box, when they went with Boxee and D Link it kinda rubbed me the wrong way and I got away from it. Recently, with the Kodi iteration, I've started playing with it some again, I have it installed on a RP-2 right now and it is nice as a media center.

It's also free, so if you want to try it, you can install it onto a computer, Raspberry Pi, etc, and not shell out a lot of money for it. Like Primestar said, a lot of people buy a $30 dollar Android box and throw the free Kodi onto it and then sell it for a few hundred dollars. Try it on a computer, or buy a thirty something dollar Raspberry Pi 2, Android box and try it on that before you buy Amazing Tv or similar. The Raspberry Pi 2 works good for it. :)

http://kodi.tv/

Reactions: TheKrell
I did read about Kodi and that helped a bit.
How do you find content and how do you determine what is legal and what is not?
I am going to see if it will fit on my linux box which is currently running on a 16 GB thumb drive. I may have to put a bigger drive in it. I will see.

Which channels can I see with it ?
Once you set up KODI you then add various addons that provide the content you want to watch. There are several forums dedicated to KODI/XBMC: KODI, TVADDONS, TotalXBMC, OPENELEC.TV etc. I suggest you check out the forums and see if KODI is what you are looking for. It is Open Source so you should never have to pay for it. It runs on several platforms: PC, XBOX, Raspberry PI, and several of the Android box's out there. You can even set it up on a USB stick, so you can carry it with you.
Keep in mind that it is open source. The entire project, including addons, is developed by folks who do it for a hobby, even if they seem to work on it full time. If you are looking for live TV there is not a lot that works consistently at least not US based.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)