2 preamps?

swampman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
South Louisiana
Looking at getting the CM 7777 preamp to add to my Antennacraft Ministate disk type antenna located in my attick. After doing some research on the antenna that I've had for a few years now, it seems it already has some sort of built in preamp. Would there be any kind of "conflict" by installing this additional CM7777 preamp anyway? Thanks.

You're correct: The MiniState already has a built-in pre-amp. Two amps together are almost invariably worse than one, even when one of them is the fine CM 7777. The second amp and/or the TV tuner(s) connected to it are virtually guaranteed to overload. Overload won't permanently damage the electronics, but will mean receiving fewer stations, not more.

Also, don't think for a moment that the MiniState's pre-amp can be left unpowered while using the 7777 as the sole pre-amp. I've used that antenna in the past. The built-in amp actually blocks signals if it's not getting power.

I'd look around for a directional replacement antenna if the MiniState isn't doing what you want it to do.

OK Don thanks for the input. I've been reading how good the CM7777 is, although my currenty setup is adaquate for what I "need". But I would really like to bring in those fringe area stations(about 70-75 miles) that only seem to come in with tropo conditions. So I think I will look for a reaplacement antenna, possibly to mount outdoors w/ the CM 7777. Which brings me to another question. 3 of my most watched stations have their transmitters averaging 15 miles from my home. So reception isnt a problem. But would it be a probelm with the CM 7777 as far as overload when actually I'm trying to bring in those fringe stations I mentioned eariler? And what happens when there is an overload? Thanks.

Overload closely resembles a signal that's too weak. You'll see and hear nothing on the TV, and the signal-level meter (if the TV has one) will display a low and erratic reading. Those three stations averaging 15 miles out are probably pretty strong in your area, so a CM 7777 is likely to overload no matter what. It's not often recommended anywhere within 35 miles of a full-power transmitter.

You'll have a far better chance at those distant signals with:

1) A high gain, all-channel antenna, mounted as high up as you can safely get it. Seventy miles is deep-fringe territory, so look into a long-range antenna such as the Winegard HD-7698P. Please note that the higher the gain, the more directional the antenna. Practically speaking, this increases the chance that a rotor would be needed to capture all desired stations.

2) A Winegard HDP-269 pre-amp. They're known for resistance to overload, even amid extremely strong signals. They also sport enough gain for most homes, even with two or three TVs.

OK thanks for the recommendation. Now I have a better understanding. Sounds like that Wineguard may be the appropriate one for me. I'm also looking into DXing. Not sure if you know anything about that. And what type setup I would need. Thanks.

Glad to help. A wall mount with guy wires, or a tripod mount on the roof peak, might get you to 30 feet or so above ground level. You'll need a tower for anything higher than that, but that's above my pay grade... to steal a phrase... :D

Seriously, the antenna I mentioned should do fairly well at those distances. Get a Channel Master 9521A rotor if you need one. To see what's involved, take a look at this online guide: Erecting a TV antenna. Heights like these can be hazardous, so if you're not completely confident in your ability to DIY, hire a contractor. There are still a few antenna guys around, and it'll be money well spent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)