Power Inserter for Titan 2 Preamplifiers

mikepb

Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
alpena, mi
I have a channel master 7778 antenna amplifier and need to replace the power inserter. I have a box full of coaxial "splitters" and want to know if I could use any of these with this amp.
Holland STVC 5-2150 MHz with DC pass
SWIM MSPLIT2R1-03 with DC power pass
dp PLUS SEPERATOR123254

thanks

I have a channel master 7778 antenna amplifier and need to replace the power inserter. I have a box full of coaxial "splitters" and want to know if I could use any of these with this amp.
Holland STVC 5-2150 MHz with DC pass
SWIM MSPLIT2R1-03 with DC power pass
dp PLUS SEPERATOR123254

thanks
Which version of 7778 preamp do you have? There's at least 3 of them. I believe the power supply was 22Vdc for the older model at least, that used power supply # 0747

pJHTqL7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. There is no version number on the unit I have. Just Model CM-7778, UHF/VHF TITAN2 PREAMPLIFIER and FM Trap Control Inside - Factory Set "In". I have 2 AC/DC ADAPTERS/power supply. One is 12v and one is 15v. It seems that both TITAN2 preamps use the same power inserter. See picture below......

1666108987315.png

I'm just trying to see if any of the "splitters" I listed above can be used in place of this one.

thanks again

Attachments

• 1666106398854.png
    1666106398854.png
    967.6 KB · Views: 94
I don't think so. A power pass splitter allows the TV signal to exit to both of the out branches, but the power inserter is designed to allow the TV signal to only pass from the preamp side to the output side toward the TV while also allowing the current input from the power supply to travel back up the coax to the preamp.

Reactions: primestar31
I replaced the old coaxial cable from the antenna to the TV with new Southwire RG6 CATV Dual Shield. It's connected to the antenna (no amp) and then into the house. I have 2 tvs that I'm feeding so I need a splitter. When I use any of the splitters I listed above I can only get the VHF signal. The UHF signal does not come through. I hooked the cable directly to the TV with no splitter and both UHF and VHF signals came through. Do I need a special splitter? Seems odd that all of the splitters I tried had this problem.

Thoughts?

I replaced the old coaxial cable from the antenna to the TV with new Southwire RG6 CATV Dual Shield. It's connected to the antenna (no amp) and then into the house. I have 2 tvs that I'm feeding so I need a splitter. When I use any of the splitters I listed above I can only get the VHF signal. The UHF signal does not come through. I hooked the cable directly to the TV with no splitter and both UHF and VHF signals came through. Do I need a special splitter? Seems odd that all of the splitters I tried had this problem.

Thoughts?

Perhaps instead of a splittler try a distribution amp. I have a mast mounted amp too but use this model from Channel Master (4 port version) once the signal is in the house and it works great. They have 1, 2, 4 and 8 port versions. :)

I will look at that. Any ideas on why the splitters would block the UHF?

One thing is that a splitter does just what it says - it splits the signal. There is no amplification involved. If the received tv signal level is just adequate and it is split then the level at the outputs of the splitter may be below the level your tv tuner expects to get a lock. Other received signals may be stronger and can withstand being split with little to no problem. A plus is if you get the distribution amp and you find it does not help in your situation Channel Master has a no hastle return policy with 30 days of purchase.

What is strange here is that before I replaced the cable from the antenna the splitter worked just fine. I'll do some more testing with what I have.

• Sad
Reactions: FTA4PA
What is strange here is that before I replaced the cable from the antenna the splitter worked just fine. I'll do some more testing with what I have.

Yes, that definitely is strange. Best to figure out what happened to lower/block the UHF signal then before trying the distribution amp.

The dp PLUS SEPERATOR123254 is described as "This is a NEW DPP separator allowing a single line of coaxial cable to run all dual tuners if used with a DPP switch or LNB" so it's not a splitter.

The SWIM MSPLIT2R1-03 with DC power pass is for DirecTV and is described as "The SPLIT2MRV features one port (red) with a DC path for remotely feeding power back through the splitter up to the dish or multiswitch, making it convenient for indoor and outdoor use."

The Holland STVC 5-2150 MHz with DC pass is a satellite diplexer, not a splitter.

None of those will work for OTA, you need a true splitter and the splitter gets installed after the power inserter, not between the inserter and the amp.

preampsetup.jpg

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts