2 recievers, 1 lnb...how to setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brians0105

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
I have 2 recievers that I want to use on the same (single) LNB. It's not a dual LNB so I would only be using one reciever at a time, obviously. The thing is, I dont want to unscrew the LNB coax and plug it in to the other reciever when I want to use it. Is there any way I can hook the LNB up to both recievers (without harming anything) and only use the reciever of my choice?

Thanks

What you can do is split it with 2 parts

-High frequency splitter (has to be up to 2000mhz, not the 900 ones) :) These cost about 12 bucks at rat shack
-DC block

Split the line and put the DC block on the output of the receiver you would use less. Hook up both lines.

You can have both receivers on AS LONG as the DC block is hooked up. The receiver with the DC block will "slave" the polarity of the mian one

I use to do this for Galaxy 10. Had my Pansat hooked up and my Viacast slaved. SInce most of the good stuff is on V polarity, it was irrelevant about worrying about polarity being different.

Another idea if you only ever watch one receiver at a time is a simple "A / B" switch, thats what I use for a similar application.

They are also on E-bay. A DC block is needed because both receivers will try to power the LNB. The LNB gets it power from the receiver and the line connected to it. You only want one receiver doing the powering so a DC block is needed to stop all the others giving power to the LNB.

Like PBS wrote a A-B switch is a nice simple way to go also.

Iceberg said:
What you can do is split it with 2 parts

-High frequency splitter (has to be up to 2000mhz, not the 900 ones) :) These cost about 12 bucks at rat shack
-DC block

Split the line and put the DC block on the output of the receiver you would use less. Hook up both lines.

You can have both receivers on AS LONG as the DC block is hooked up. The receiver with the DC block will "slave" the polarity of the mian one

I use to do this for Galaxy 10. Had my Pansat hooked up and my Viacast slaved. SInce most of the good stuff is on V polarity, it was irrelevant about worrying about polarity being different.

From my 7 Primestar dishes, I use the el-cheapo 900 splitters to split the lines to vertical and horizontal on most lines. 2000 MHz do not work for me as I like to rotate to anything on the dishes and those splitters reduce that availability.

I use 4 A/B/C switches and 1 A/B switch for analog.
One receiver sees AMC 9 Ku H and V, G10 Ku H frome one switch and that feeds into another A/B/C switch to go along with AMC 3 Ku H and V. That output feeds to the receiver.
Other receiver sees T6 Ku H and V, and G10 Ku V on one switch. That output feeds into another A/B/C switch that has G11 Ku H and V. Output of that switch goes to a receiver.
3rd analog receiver is used as a backup for when there are too many things on one receiver. That has the A/B switch. I just unscrew whatever line and plug that into the A/B switch.

For one digital receiver it sees AMC 1 Ku and V and G10 Ku V from an a/b/c switch.

Other digital receiver sees everything else as it's easier for scanning.
T6 Ku H and V and AMC 4 (H-V on the same line from the only dish with one lnb.) That A/B/c output goes into a A/B/C switch with the 2 remaining ports for AMC 3 Ku H and V. That output goes to the final A/B/C switch under A.

Next A/B/C switch has G11 V & H and G10 Ku H. That output goes under the final switch under B.

Next A/B/C switch has AMC 9 Ku H and V and G10 Ku V. That output goes to the final A/B/C switch uinder C.

Final A/B/C switch output goes to the receiver. Note G10 Ku Vertical on both receivers. Only AMC 4 and AMC 1 used for digital.
Dish Network not hooked up at the present time to MPEG 4:2:0.

Thanks guys! I'm probably just gonna get an A/B switch to simplify things. Thanks again!

PSB said:
Another idea if you only ever watch one receiver at a time is a simple "A / B" switch, thats what I use for a similar application.
I've been wanting to use a 1-input 2-output A/B switch to split my old rooftop TV/FM antenna signal. Live in a fringe reception area and attaching a splitter or even a VCR weakens my already weak signal. I'm thinking a good solid A/B switch might allow me to switch and not lose any reception.

Trouble is, all the A/B switches I can find have 2-inputs 1-outputs. I have some of those. Anywhere I can find 1-input 2-outputs?

I would like to see a pic of your 7 P* dishs. Would you post one sometime?

Thanks

GEOCOLLINS said:
From my 7 Primestar dishes, I use the el-cheapo 900 splitters to split the lines to vertical and horizontal on most lines. 2000 MHz do not work for me as I like to rotate to anything on the dishes and those splitters reduce that availability.

I use 4 A/B/C switches and 1 A/B switch for analog.
One receiver sees AMC 9 Ku H and V, G10 Ku H frome one switch and that feeds into another A/B/C switch to go along with AMC 3 Ku H and V. That output feeds to the receiver.
Other receiver sees T6 Ku H and V, and G10 Ku V on one switch. That output feeds into another A/B/C switch that has G11 Ku H and V. Output of that switch goes to a receiver.
3rd analog receiver is used as a backup for when there are too many things on one receiver. That has the A/B switch. I just unscrew whatever line and plug that into the A/B switch.

For one digital receiver it sees AMC 1 Ku and V and G10 Ku V from an a/b/c switch.

Other digital receiver sees everything else as it's easier for scanning.
T6 Ku H and V and AMC 4 (H-V on the same line from the only dish with one lnb.) That A/B/c output goes into a A/B/C switch with the 2 remaining ports for AMC 3 Ku H and V. That output goes to the final A/B/C switch under A.

Next A/B/C switch has G11 V & H and G10 Ku H. That output goes under the final switch under B.

Next A/B/C switch has AMC 9 Ku H and V and G10 Ku V. That output goes to the final A/B/C switch uinder C.

Final A/B/C switch output goes to the receiver. Note G10 Ku Vertical on both receivers. Only AMC 4 and AMC 1 used for digital.
Dish Network not hooked up at the present time to MPEG 4:2:0.

I would like to second that, Ken. Please post some pics of your 7 Primestars please. That sounds freakin awesome. :) Where did you pick them up if you don't mind me asking? I just got one, but would like to have more.

could this work

>Trouble is, all the A/B switches I can find have 2-inputs 1-outputs. I have >some of those. Anywhere I can find 1-input 2-outputs?

Pipedream

have you tried using one of these just wired in reverse?

That is the 1 output would be used as your input source (tv antenna),
the two inputs would be used as your A/B selectable outputs.

bad schematiic diagram

input -->V
_______||_______
A/B switch selector
out A// - B\\ out

good luck

fataf said:
Pipedream

have you tried using one of these just wired in reverse?

That is the 1 output would be used as your input source (tv antenna),
the two inputs would be used as your A/B selectable outputs.

bad schematiic diagram

input -->V
_______||_______
A/B switch selector
out A// - B\\ out

good luck
No I haven't. But I have tried reversing the little coax splitters before and it really causes a lot of reception loss. That's why I was looking for a 2-output
A/B switch. But after looking further today...I don't think they make any like that. :(

I kinda hate getting behind everything and messing with it if I think it might not work. I might test that if I ever get ambitious enough. Just kinda hate the thought of doing it and then having to do it back again. :)

okay

>But I have tried reversing the little coax splitters before and it really causes >a lot of reception loss

Okay I did this myself when connecting a pair of rabbit ears and my VCR to a TV once.

I think the difference between the splitter and an A/B signal selector is that the splitter divides the source signal into X outputs because it has a constant connection to all X ports.

The selector only connects to one port at any time.
of course this is not a direct connection from antenna to TV and there is some loss but should not be as bad.

I think you could make one yourself if you are handy with soldering
(anyone feel free to post any corrections)

required items:
3 short pieces of coax, 3 female F connectors, one DPDT switch
(project box to mount it in)

DPDT = Dual Pole Dual Throw
Dual Pole because we have two conductors on coax center and shield
Dual Throw because we can select A or B output

a mass produced one would just use a circuit board trace versus coax cables possibly

A ------XXXX--IN ----(open) ------ B
A' ------XXXX--IN' ---(open)------- B'

switch is closed to left and connects output A to the input at center
B is open iand not connected

good luck

CbandLover said:
I would like to second that, Ken. Please post some pics of your 7 Primestars please. That sounds freakin awesome. :) Where did you pick them up if you don't mind me asking? I just got one, but would like to have more.

As soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera. I don't have one. My brother does, so I'll see if it's available soon. One I got years ago online from somewhere. I got 4 at once about 2 1/2 years ago from a guy on EBAY. The other 2 have come from there, but one at a time. There's a few bad dealers on EBAY too. One of the dishes is smaller than 40X30 which it wasn't suppose to be. There's a considerable difference in quality.

"""""No I haven't. But I have tried reversing the little coax splitters before and it really causes a lot of reception loss. That's why I was looking for a 2-output
A/B switch. But after looking further today...I don't think they make any like that."""""

There's a 5 input 3 output coax plug in thing you can buy from Radio Shack. I did years ago, but those don't work before the receivers. Just after the receiver(s) before it gets to the TV/VCR.

GEOCOLLINS said:
There's a 5 input 3 output coax plug in thing you can buy from Radio Shack. I did years ago, but those don't work before the receivers. Just after the receiver(s) before it gets to the TV/VCR.
I'll look around at Rat Shack next time I go to town. I think I'd try reversing a A/B switch before trying to make one. Using splitters where you have a good signal probably work okay. But here with a weak signal I can notice a good drop in it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.