2 satellites on 1 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

derint

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
What is the farthest distance one can get on one dish. I am trying to pick up 37.5W c-band and 97W ku band on one dish . Is this possible? this about 60 degrees apart.

Not in any way possible... Even Toroidal dishes, which are specially designed for multiple satellites, can only see 40 degrees from one side to the other (example, from 79W to 119W)...

I think Mike Kohl did something like this with a cband or minibud dish. It looked like an old single faceguard on a helmet that was full of lnbs.

FOund the link: http://www.global-cm.net/multifeedsys.html

Technically I think it is possible if you have a large enough dish (note the dishes pixed in the link)
Pratically,,ehhhh???

Last edited:
The real issue here is mixing a c-band and ku sat at a wide angle. If it were just ku it wouldn't be hard.

NO!

What is the farthest distance one can get on one dish. I am trying to pick up 37.5W c-band and 97W ku band on one dish . Is this possible? this about 60 degrees apart.
You didn't say where you were located, you didn't say what sort of dish you have, and you didn't say what transponders you wanted on each bird.
But, since you can probably get 97° Ku on any 30+ inch dish, I suggest that's how you proceed.

A larger dish will NOT help. The larger the dish the more focused the parabola shape becomes (narrower beam). There are specialty dishes that are used for down links at cable companies that would be the exception, but in general I have found larger dishes are harder to get multi-satellites on then say one meter and smaller.
Bob

on a normal dish maybe 6 degrees off. But thats about it

As noted the toroidal can do 40 (I got 47 on mine with an extension to get some of the 119 stuff when it was in the clear)

Status
Please reply by conversation.