20 DMA'S Moving Back To Western Arc

I guess Harrisonburg Va is one of the exceptions, it's only on the WA, and the elevation is way too low, I am luckly to get the EA at 40 in elevation, even if it was high enough it's not worth it because they are SD

it wouldnt be 82 as that is Bell ExpressVu's (Canadian DTH provider) satellite they use for Int'l and HD.

And while they neutered the signal to cover the whole US it still covers a fair amount of the upper US

it wouldnt be 82 as that is Bell ExpressVu's (Canadian DTH provider) satellite they use for Int'l and HD.

And while they neutered the signal to cover the whole US it still covers a fair amount of the upper US

Hmmmm- Did this get posted exactly as you intended? Neutered......who?

yep its posted correctly

Originally Bell's satellite that covered 82W covered the whole US. Then they got a "hand me down" Directv satellite so when they moved it north the signal got neutered in most of the US. It still covers the upper US
attachment.php

So there is no way Dish could use 82W

I read it to mean neutered it to cover the US, not neutered US coverage in order to cover Canada. Depends on how you read it.

I certainly will not be receiving any signal.

86 ???

This is part of the post that I recalled, but there appears to be a little uncertainty.

I came here with a big update:

77 West Echostar 1 and Echostar 8 administration has been transferred to Quetzsat de Mexico

Incredibly Echostar 4 is moving again to a new posiiton and going back to Echostar control at 86W (I think, not completely sure)

Posted at the "other" site.

When Dish does moves like this is because they have to little or to much stock of equipment. They are wanting to phase out the 1000.2 dish for a standardized Eastern/Western arc 1000.4 dish. They may have a bunch of mpeg-2 receivers and 1000.2 they want to dump.

I am in the Atlanta DMA and have a 61.5, 110, 119, 129 setup, a complete western arc and partial eastern arc setup. All of the Atlanta DMA locals and sport networks are on both the Eastern and Western arcs and I would expect that situation to continue for many years, otherwise Dish will have to replace all of the Eastern arc satellite dishs with Western arc dishes at a very large cost. I take the announcement to mean that the default new installation in these DMAs to be Western arc, but that Eastern arc installations could still be performed if there is no line of sight to the Eastern arc.

Why don't they just put all the locals on both ARCs and completely eliminate half of the HD channels they now carry.

This is about as stupid of a move that I have seen, wasting transponders that should be carrying HD RSN's on giving people two sets of locals.

If someone on the east coast can't see the EA satellites, they can do without locals untill their chainsaw gets sharpened.

Why don't they just put all the locals on both ARCs and completely eliminate half of the HD channels they now carry.
There are lots of SD only folks out there. Dish needs to keep those locals available.

This is about as stupid of a move that I have seen, wasting transponders that should be carrying HD RSN's on giving people two sets of locals.

If someone on the east coast can't see the EA satellites, they can do without locals untill their chainsaw gets sharpened.

The locals are on spot beam transponders, not ConUS transponders (except for those few on 77W ConUS transponders). The spot beam transponders are used over and over in other DMAs, just not in adjacent DMAs to avoid interference. National programming cannot be located on a spot beam transponder so there is no waste in that respect.

Why not give these folks an HD box and have it down convert the signal?

If money were no object, that would be one solution. That is probably coming in the not too distant future. A lot of SD channels can be crammed onto a single spot beam transponder, but eliminating a lot of SDs doesn't beget lots of HD space because of the differences in required bandwidth.

It really does not cost Dish anything to mirror locals on both arcs if there is an empty spot beam sitting unused. As mentioned above spot beams and CONUS beams are separate. So, if there is empty space mirroring the locals is an easy choice for Dish. It allows more installs because it gives an installer a backup direction to point if the primary direction is obstructed.

Only if they keep the locals on both arcs, and give installers the option. Doesn't sound like that's the case.

Ok, so if there are so many open spot beams, where are my HD locals.

They duplicate them all over the place but there are a whole lot of us who only have SD locals available.

Before you start duplicating, fill up the other needs that are out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)