$200 deposit for no SSN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kryspy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Canadian here planning a move to Dish in the summer. I hear they charge a $200 US deposit for not providing a social security number?

If so does this act as a credit and comes off of your monthly billing or does it remain in their hands as a security deposit?

Thanks in advance,

Kryspy

It is my understanding that it is illegal for a US company to *require* a SSN. They can ask for it, but supposedly cannot deny you service if you refuse to provide it.

I never give out my SSN to anyone. So far I have never been denied anything, although I have had to argue the point on many occasions.

The only way you can get Dish service legally is with a US address ,DN Can require a SS to open an account with them,$199.00 fee is for people with little or no enough credit.

It is my understanding that it is illegal for a US company to *require* a SSN. They can ask for it, but supposedly cannot deny you service if you refuse to provide it.

Incorrect assumption. You are not required to provide the SS number and the business is not required to do business with you if you don't!

http://www.epic.org/privacy/ssn/
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm
Usually you are not legally compelled to provide your Social Security number to private businesses -- including private health care providers and insurers -- unless you are involved in a transaction in which the Internal Revenue Service requires notification. (MediCal and Medicare are government health plans and can require a Social Security number.)

There is no law, however, that prevents businesses from requesting your SSN, and there are few restrictions on what businesses can do with it. But even though you are not required to disclose your SSN, the business does not have to provide you with service if you refuse to release it.

If a business insists on knowing your Social Security number when you cannot see a reason for it, speak to an administrator who may be authorized to make an exception or who may know that company policy does not require it. If the company will not allow you to use an alternate number, you may want to take your business elsewhere.

Straight from the horse's mouth. Took a little bit of searthing, but I found it on the SSA.gov web site
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0y&p_li=&p_topview=1
If a business or other enterprise asks you for your SSN, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

Dish requires a social security number for a credit check. If you do not provide an SSN they cannot run the credit check. They will then ask for a $200 deposit which they hold in your account without earning interest for the duration. I believe after a certain lengthy amount of time of "good customer" status your deposit may no longer be required and is used to pay down your bill (but I am not sure about that part)

See ya
Tony

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Thought it be best to hear it from people who actually live in the US.

I'd be going through a broker and that is what he told me in an e-mail that was as clear as mud.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Kryspy

Actually as a Canadian living in the US for many years and being military (Canadian) I do not require, nor can I get a US SSN. Dish requires the SSN (full or last four) or no service UNLESS you pay a $200 up front fee. Credit does not matter (I have three US CCs with huge credit limits and a superb credit record...Dish did not care and they CAN run a credit check with the CC info). You get dinged a non-refundable fee PERIOD.

I have been arguing with Dish & the executive office on this issue for four years trying (occassionally) to get my $200 back with no success.

Well that may seal the deal for me then... not worth the hassle !!! I'll look to Directv if they ever get any HD up worth watching.

Kryspy

I'd just pay the $200. Consider it an extra cost of getting the service. The lost interest on that "negative investment" amounts to about $2/month - wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I DISH was my preferred provider.

I'd just pay the $200. Consider it an extra cost of getting the service. The lost interest on that "negative investment" amounts to about $2/month - wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me if I DISH was my preferred provider.
He will find Directv as bad as DISH for people without SSN they also require a deposit and last proposal that I don't know if they followed through on was a $5/Mo. refund. I think for advanced product it was a $350 deposit so that would be 70 months/6 years to get it back.:) :) :)

D* tends to be a bit more expensive than E* anyway. Not always, but generally.

I don't believe you can get service at all through Dish Network without a social security number. I work for a retailer and when I enter an order it asks for the SS#. Even if I am running it as a free-for-all (if a customer didn't pass the credit check) Dish still requires the social for identity verification. Without it I can't complete the order. The only exception to this is for someone getting only international programming. In that case I can run the order with no social. If they provide a social they get a discount on the programming though. With FFA through Dish (bad credit) you can only have two TVs on your account without paying full price for additional receivers. Even "Cash and Carry" in which a customer prepays for service on a monthly basis requires a social security number.

DirecTV in the past didn't require a social security number for their credit check. They plan to soon require it though. If you don't pass the credit check (or don't have a SS#) they require a $200 deposit for standard receivers. You receive $5 off your bill each month then. For advanced receivers (DVR, HD) they require a $300 deposit plus the cost of the receiver. So if you are doing a one room set up with DirecTV with a DVR, the up-front cost would be approximately $400 with no social security number or if you don't pass their credit check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)