2008-09 MLB Hot Stove

If Milwaukee and C.C. agree to the $100 million contract, that could be a bit too high.

Remember when Mike Hampton signed that huge contract with the Rockies?

I just am very pessimistic about the Mets (sorry to say). I seriously doubt Lowe will even consider the Mets for one. Secondly, from everything I hear in the New York media (except for some "fantasy" ideas), Sabathia is not an option either. If we were so concerned about the NL East last year, why did we not push harder for Fuentes? Therefore, do we really see him coming here? K-Rod was in a contract season in the AL West; he will be a bust anywhere else (cough, cough Gagne, cough, cough).

I know it is early and I am trying to stay positive, but this season like last season, has left me and many Met fans with a bitter taste in our mouths.

WAY over. It's already being reported that Milwaukee is going to offer Sabathia a 4-year, $100 million contract.

The Yankees, Angels and Dodgers are among Sabathia's leading possibilities, and each could give him more than four years and $25 million per season.

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Brewers set to throw $100 million at CC

With their arms I do not see the Angels going after CC. I mean everyone can use a stud like CC, but that $$ can be better spent elsewhere in Anaheim.

But we keep hearing that he wants to return to be near his Baltimore roots.

Are you serious?

Baltimore is absolutely HORRIBLE!

The Angels are lightyears ahead of the Birds. Anyone who signs with Baltimore can kiss their dreams of October glory bye-bye.

Are you serious?

Baltimore is absolutely HORRIBLE!

The Angels are lightyears ahead of the Birds. Anyone who signs with Baltimore can kiss their dreams of October glory bye-bye.

Well now, Sabres...I did say NEAR not AT. This could include the 2 NYC teams, Philly, and the less-than likely Nationals and Orioles. But, I think the thing that grabbed Tex off the field was that he stayed in one of Boras' homes near the beach. He and Torii did alot of SoCal "shopping" if you will during the season and he liked what he saw and felt according to sources.

Brewers Prepare Offers For Sabathia, Sheets

By Tim Dierkes [October 31 at 2:37pm CST]

According to MLB.com's Adam McCalvy, the Brewers will submit a formal contract offer to C.C. Sabathia today. Ken Rosenthal heard Wednesday that the offer might be in the four-year, $100MM range. Brewers GM Doug Melvin doesn't expect to hear back from Sabathia's agent (Greg Genske) soon, but notes that Sabathia should only have a handful of serious suitors.
Melvin will also submit an offer soon for Ben Sheets. He'll further discuss the possibility with Casey Close at next week's GM meetings. Sheets and Sabathia are Type A free agents, so the Brewers could net four draft picks if they leave. In that case I'd expect them to pursue another starter.
Lefty reliever Brian Shouse prefers Milwaukee, but the 40 year-old hopes for a two-year deal.

Friday, October 31, 2008

2009 Top 50 Free Agents Predictions: 1-10

The 2009 Free Agent Projections are back! This is one of my favorite features on the site and I hope all you guy will share your opinions in the comments as well! Here we go:

1. Mark Teixeira, Angels
- After Tex, the first base market falls very fast. Teixeira combines a good work ethic with a powerful swing and great instincts. He is young, but experienced, and would help any team he is on. His price will likely rise because of the demand.

Prediction: Angels

2. CC Sabathia, Brewers
- Sabathia's year in Cleveland couldn't get any worse, and the trade to Milwaukee brought his value back up to Johan Santana money. While teams are hesitant to give him the big bucks because of his weight, the Yankees, among others, have added him to their list of targets.

Prediction: Yankees

3. Manny Ramirez, Dodgers
- Manny Ramirez had an unbelievable season for the Dodgers and carried them to the NLCS. The fans adored him, the team loved him, and the city has become inundated with Manny gear. However, the Dodgers are low on funds, and may look to sign Furcal and Lowe instead.

Prediction: Phillies

4. A.J. Burnett, Blue Jays
- Burnett is expected to opt out of his contract and likely take a mega contract elsewhere. The Red Sox, Orioles, and Cardinals are interested, so Burnett will have several options.

Prediction: Blue Jays

5. Derek Lowe, Dodgers
- Lowe is also expected to be a hot commodity, and will likely cash in if he waits for some of the better pitchers to sign. He is experienced, has playoff success, and is a great clubhouse guy.

Prediction: Braves

6. Adam Dunn, Diamondbacks
- Dunn is one of the more underrated outfielders on the market. Yes, he does not hit for average. But he hits for tremendous power and draws a lot of walks. He will be a solid signing for any team.

Prediction: Nationals

7. Francisco Rodriguez, Angels
- Rodriguez will likely be let go after a drop in velocity and an increase in speed on the changeup. He is young, and could get better, but giving a long term deal is risky. The Tigers and Mets are both expected to be interested, but they both have big contracts that complicate the situation. It should be interesting.

Prediction: Indians

8. Pat Burrell, Phillies
- Burrell is coming off one of the best years in his career, not to mention winning a World Series. The Phillies are not that enthused about signing Burrell, so will likely make a take it-or leave it offer and let him sign elsewhere. You would think Burrell would try and go up from the Phillies, but he may sign with a team like the Royals and try to do what the Rays did somewhere down the road.

Prediction: Royals

9. Rafael Furcal, Dodgers
- Furcal has given the Dodgers a couple solid years, but has been injured through a couple and may feel that he owes them. He could take a one year deal to prove to teams he can play healthy.

Prediction: Dodgers

10. Ryan Dempster, Cubs
- Dempster had the best year of his career in a year in the most important year of his career. He was coming off a bad year as a closer and fans were already sick of him. Dempster loves Chicago and said he wants to stay, and Cubs officials feel the same way.

Prediction: Cubs

Oh wait here's number 11.

11. The Mets- Lowe might go to the Braves, a division rival. Ramirez might go to the Phillies, another division rival. K-Rod might go to the Indians and C.C. might go to the Yankees.

Prediction: WE ARE SCREWED!!!!

#1 - Leyland has already stated this, and I reiterated this in my final grades.

#2 - Renteria was released yesterday. Also, the Tigers resigned the bullpen coach they fired at the season's end. Go figure.

#3 - Guillen is moving to LF, Leyland has said so, something I stated in the final grades also.

#4 - Ordonez is not going anywhere, not many takers for $17M+ contract. Besides who fills that hole in the line up. If Tampa Bay is willing to part ways with one of those young studs in their rotation....maybe.

#5 - Porcello not likely to be in the starting rotation next spring, unless he is absolutely "lights out" in training camp.

#6 - Sheffield is indeed signed through '09. Just hope that he has one more year of pop in that bat (I doubt it.), because nobody is taking on that contract without the Tigers eating some of it.

SS and Catcher remain the Tigers top priorities. Look for some minor changes to the relief staff. Mostly, I think they will looking for the pitching staff to rebound. Still plenty of talent there, they just need to put it together again, like '06. I don't see any major splashes in the FA market because of high the payroll already is. But then I didn't see the Cabrera trade coming last winter either.

I forgot about Guillen moving to LF ... already ...
Like you also mentioned, Sheff is here for next year .... unless he gets released...
Glad to see Renteria was released.

Any ideas who they may be looking at for SS and Catcher, other than Varitek

Jimbo

4. A.J. Burnett, Blue Jays
- Burnett is expected to opt out of his contract and likely take a mega contract elsewhere. The Red Sox, Orioles, and Cardinals are interested, so Burnett will have several options.

To the Red Sox would be interesting ...
Burnett and Beckett back together again ...

Jimbo

I forgot about Guillen moving to LF ... already ...
Like you also mentioned, Sheff is here for next year .... unless he gets released...
Glad to see Renteria was released.

Any ideas who they may be looking at for SS and Catcher, other than Varitek

Jimbo

It's been awfully quite around here, not much speculation by even the newspapers. I will keep you posted on the rumors as I hear them.

Mets82, I will buy you a beer 'cuz it will be a long season for us again :(

Maybe you can answer this: Why with Argenis Reyes and his speed, not to mention a great 1/2 punch with Reyes leading off and Argenis batting 2nd, why are we looking for a 2nd baseman?

I think it beats having Castillo at second again. I don't know how Argenis Reyes is as far as a hitter but he has a lot of speed. Where would you find a second baseman? We just got to be aggressive and try to pick up some free agents somewhere. There's got to be someone that wants to come to the Mets.

I think Argenis will be great and furthermore, Santana needs to become our ambsasador and speak up to free agents. What he says will weigh heavy in addition to what Minaya says.

My Mets X-Mas Wish List:
1. A Good Defensive Left/Right Fielder
2. 2 BP Guys
3. 1 Solid Starter

3. Manny Ramirez, Dodgers
- Manny Ramirez had an unbelievable season for the Dodgers and carried them to the NLCS. The fans adored him, the team loved him, and the city has become inundated with Manny gear. However, the Dodgers are low on funds, and may look to sign Furcal and Lowe instead.

Prediction: Phillies

Please Phillies, just say no!

KCK_HALO - Are the Angels going to let K-ROD walk?

A resounding YES! He is now starting to lose velocity and it is only downhill from here. He'll be asking for huge bucks after his stellar year and the request is well-deserved. But, the bottom line is he is not going to be worth whatever his suitor pays for him in the long run. Plus, the Angels have a pick or two for closer up their sleeves come Spring Training.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)