2008-09 MLB Hot Stove

3. Manny Ramirez, Dodgers
- Manny Ramirez had an unbelievable season for the Dodgers and carried them to the NLCS. The fans adored him, the team loved him, and the city has become inundated with Manny gear. However, the Dodgers are low on funds, and may look to sign Furcal and Lowe instead.

Prediction: Phillies

Please Phillies, just say no!

As a Mets fan, Phillies-Just say no to Manny!!!... Please!!

A resounding YES! He is now starting to lose velocity and it is only downhill from here. He'll be asking for huge bucks after his stellar year and the request is well-deserved. But, the bottom line is he is not going to be worth whatever his suitor pays for him in the long run. Plus, the Angels have a pick or two for closer up their sleeves come Spring Training.

KCK Halo, do you think K-Rod will be a good set-up man for anyone. I mean if his velocity is going down, he's still probably a good set-up man than a lot of the relievers out there.

KCK Halo, do you think K-Rod will be a good set-up man for anyone. I mean if his velocity is going down, he's still probably a good set-up man than a lot of the relievers out there.

Oh sure! Look, the kid's career is far from over. It's just that I eel the way the Angels'braintrust feels...and that we have seen the best of Frankie and from here on in it's downhill. Maybe a slight decline, but downhill nonetheless. And not near the long term, big buck contract I am sure he wil be after.

Red Sox Pursuing Teixeira

By Nat Boyle

Ken Davidoff of Newsday is confirming the Red Sox will be pushing hard to sign Mark Teixeira this offseason, a free agent perfect storm situation for Teixeira who also has interest coming from the Yankees. Writes Davidoff,
"Boston will aggressively pursue Teixeira, two industry sources confirmed. While the Red Sox have a very good first baseman in Kevin Youkilis, they can move Youkilis to third to make room for Teixeira. Incumbent third baseman Mike Lowell is recovering from hip surgery and isn't expected to be ready until mid-March, and as much as the Red Sox like Lowell, they can look to trade him."
Or they may hold onto Lowell and explore the market during the season as they did with Coco Crisp this year.
Teixeira, a switch hitter, would give Terry Francona an impact bat and added flexibility with the middle of his lineup which figures to have lefties David Ortiz and J.D. Drew and righties Youkilis and a motivated Jason Bay.
In this piece, Davidoff also suggests the Sox part with Jason Varitek and move to acquire Jarrod Saltalamacchia for pitching, as MLBTR discussed earlier today; however, if Varitek can be had for little and the Red Sox can afford it, it may make sense to re-sign Varitek and transition in his replacement at a pace dictated by production and success.

Rangers Want Pitcher For Catcher

By Nat Boyle

The Rangers are seeking to deal one of their three catchers - Gerald Laird, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, or Max Ramirez - for pitching, says Evan Grant of the Dallas News. Grant notes that they would still have Taylor Teagarden, who they're also open to dealing if "the return is great enough."
Grant discusses potential matches in the Giants, Red Sox, Brewers, Reds, and Tigers:
"San Francisco has pitching depth, and the Rangers love the Giants' arms, but San Francisco has a more pressing need for a corner infielder than a catcher because Bengie Molina is signed for 2009. Getting a pitcher such as Matt Cain might require the Rangers to discuss trading Chris Davis. Boston, Milwaukee and Cincinnati, however, may be the best fits for a catcher-for-pitcher deal. Detroit also needs a catcher, but the Tigers' system is quite thin at pitcher."
MLBTR discussed this on Friday, including Hank Blalock in the discussion as well as the Rangers' interest in Scott Olsen.

Dempster Will Test Open Market

By Steve Adams

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Ben Sheets, and Derek Lowe have some company at the top of the list of free agent starters this offseason. Ryan Dempster will not re-sign with the Cubs before hearing what other teams have to offer:
Dempster, 31, plans to test the open market, major-league sources say. He filed for free agency on Friday, and does not intend to sign with the Cubs before their exclusive negotiating period with him expires on Nov. 13.
After spending three years closing games for the Cubs, Dempster was tremendous in their rotation this year, posting a 17-6 record with a 2.96 ERA and 187 Ks to go along with just 76 walks through 206.2 IP.
The Cubs could certainly retain Dempster, but that task just became much more difficult, as many teams are looking to add starting pitching. Dempster could certainly fetch a very lucrative four-year deal on the open market, likely in excess of $60MM.
Rosenthal lists the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Angels as possible suitors. We also know that the Braves are looking to add at least two starters to their rotation this year.
Rosenthal also notes that if Dempster does sign elsewhere, it could increase the Cubs' interest in San Diego ace Jake Peavy, though I still don't feel like the Cubs have the pieces that the Padres are looking for in return for Peavy.

7. Francisco Rodriguez, Angels
- Rodriguez will likely be let go after a drop in velocity and an increase in speed on the changeup. He is young, and could get better, but giving a long term deal is risky. The Tigers and Mets are both expected to be interested, but they both have big contracts that complicate the situation. It should be interesting.

Prediction: Indians

While, K-Rod may be an obvious choice for Cleveland from an outsiders perspective, I just don't see it happening for multiple reasons.

1. The Paul Dolan owned Indians will never spend top dollar on a player at the peak or near past his prime. The Indians M.O. has been to win with the young studs and when these players contracts run up and they want to seek the big payday, they trade them away and rebuild their farm system and start over.

2. Towards the end of the season, the Indians stumbled upon a reliever that seemed to work in the closer role. Jenson Lewis saved 13 out of 14 games. Going into next season, the 24-year-old has the edge for that job.

3. Our largest need in the offseason is a late relief/ setup guy in the bullpen. After posting a spectacular 1.48 ERA in 2007, Rafael Betancourt had a horrid 2008, by posting a 5.07 ERA with 4 blown saves. If he can't cut it in '09, we need another option.

4. Our second need is another power bat to plug into the heart of the lineup incase Travis Hafner never recovers from his mysterious, lingering shoulder injury.

5. I would imagine K-Rod is seeking a long term contract. IF the Indians were to pursue him, I can't see them committing to longer than 3 years.

6. As always, other teams will out-bid us.

Royals Acquire Jacobs For Nunez

THURSDAY: It's official: the Royals have acquired Jacobs for Nunez, according to Dutton. It now seems that the Royals have a surplus of 1B/DH types.

Wow, great trade by the Royals!!! :up

Better trade for the Marlins! They pick-up the desperately needed middle relief, and VERY GOOD relief at that. The Marlins will move Cantu to 1st and bring up EITHER Matt Dominguez or Gaby Sanchez. It's scary to say that no one has a farm system as loaded as the Marlins.

Better trade for the Marlins! They pick-up the desperately needed middle relief, and VERY GOOD relief at that. The Marlins will move Cantu to 1st and bring up EITHER Matt Dominguez or Gaby Sanchez. It's scary to say that no one has a farm system as loaded as the Marlins.

I have Florida winning the World Series next year.

Every six years, it happens- 1997, 2003, 2009.

(After what happened to your Raiders, I wanted to give you a pick-me-up)

PLEASE....NO Raider talk....my stomach is still upset at their play and your comments about quitting....:mad:;)

Back to subject....I think the Marlins will do a little mini-house cleaning because they struck out TOO much and made TOO many errors and that cost them quite few games. They already started by getting rid of Jacobs...great power numbers and decent RBI numbers, but a complete hack at 1st and struck out 119 times!
The Marlins had 8 players with AT LEAST 100 Ks!

They will be ready in 2 years. Next year...they will be in it till the end and maybe even win a playoffs spot. The ONLY thing they were in need is a decent catcher.
Other than that, NO OTHER team is in better position/sitting prettier in their whole organization OTHER than possibly the Tampa Bay Rays.

my stomach is still upset at their play and your comments about quitting....:mad:;)

I'm sorry, but that was a kneejerk reaction at the offensive numbers.

The numbers just surprised me. I had non intention of hurting your feelings

Seriously, would anyone be surprised by an all Sunshine State World Series next year??

I know that I wouldn't be!

Not only are both teams talented, but they're both loaded down on the farm.

I'm sorry, but that was a kneejerk reaction at the offensive numbers.

The numbers just surprised me. I had non intention of hurting your feelings

No worries....I had that same gut feeling when I got to half time....UNFORTUNATELY, the played TONS better in the 2nd half...

...back to topic...:up

Seriously, would anyone be surprised by an all Sunshine State World Series next year??

The Marlins are so loaded in STARTING Pitching that you will see team BEGGING at their door step

The Marlins are so loaded in STARTING Pitching that you will see team BEGGING at their door step

Marlins/World Series- If you're a REAL baseball fan and not the casual fan, you'd watch it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)