2008-09 MLB Hot Stove

Well, Bowden picked the wrong guy to do it...he should know better...:rolleyes:
Why bring in someone that will cost you more runs than he will bring in???...:eek:

Who's he suppose to bring in, they've been looking for quite some time now, even talked to Manny.
You got a better idea for them ?

Mariner's pushing Griffey talks.....

The [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=sea"]Moved Permanently[/ame] have stepped up the pace in negotiations that could bring Ken Griffey Jr. back to the city where he spent the first 11 years of his major league career, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's unclear whether the Mariners have extended a formal offer, two sources said the team made significant progress this week in talks to bring back Griffey. Several reports this winter have indicated that Griffey is seeking a one-year deal for a base salary in the $5 million range.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3901872"]Seattle Mariners pushing talks with Ken Griffey Jr. - ESPN[/ame]

The Nationals with a rare surplus in talent:

Nationals Have Six Players For Four Spots

By Tim Dierkes [February 12 at 11:24am CST]

As Chico Harlan of the Washington Post explains, the Nationals now have six players for four spots following the Adam Dunn signing. Harlan says the Nats prefer Dunn in left field if Nick Johnson is healthy, leaving Josh Willingham's role in question. Here's a look at the six players:
  • Adam Dunn: Agreed to play first base or left field. Two-year, $20MM deal to become official today.
  • Nick Johnson: Has never played anywhere but first base. Wants to play every day, but spent most of 2007-08 on the DL for leg and wrist injuries. He's fine with a trade. Set to earn $5.5MM in '09 in last year before free agency. OBP machine.
  • Josh Willingham: Acquired along with Scott Olsen in November. Missed 50 games in '08 with back issues. 2009 is his first arb year; he submitted $3.6MM vs. $2.55MM from the Nats. Free agent-eligible after 2011 season. Has mainly played LF in big league career (68 innings at catcher, 3 at first base).
  • Austin Kearns: Friend of Dunn from Cincinnati days. Owed $9MM for '09 (includes $1MM buyout for '10). Has experience as CF and RF. Dealt with elbow, foot injuries in '08.
  • Lastings Milledge: Experience at all three OF positions. Turns 24 in April. Under team control through 2012. Didn't hit much outside of August.
  • Elijah Dukes: Experience at all three OF positions. Turns 25 in June. Under team control through 2013. .972 OPS after All-Star break in 29 games (dealt with calf/knee injuries). Paid back child support; will not face prison time.
Two more, not mentioned by Harlan as those considered potential everyday players:
  • Willie Harris: Signed two-year, $3MM extension in December. Has played all three OF positions and 2B in his career, plus a small amount of SS and 3B. FanGraphs valued his '08 defense so highly that they calculated him to be worth $14.6MM overall.
  • Wily Mo Pena: Exercised $2MM player option in October after Nationals declined $5MM club option. Shoulder surgery in July. Recently turned 27; had .472 career SLG prior to '08.
Geez, the NL East looks to be real strong this season.

This could be the season that the Braves finish in the cellar.

Cowboy Up (North) :

Blue Jays Sign Kevin Millar

By Tim Dierkes [February 11, 2009 at 4:00pm CST]
4:00pm: The Blue Jays have a press release out.
3:16pm: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Blue Jays and Kevin Millar reached an agreement on a minor league deal. Millar, 37, hit .234/.323/.394 in 610 plate appearances for the Orioles last year. Rosenthal notes that Millar has been in the AL East since the Red Sox snagged him in February of '03.

Who's he suppose to bring in, they've been looking for quite some time now, even talked to Manny.
You got a better idea for them ?

No, but I never said I did...It's not my job, and they are not my team...I could care less...but obviously, Bowden hasn't paid attention to Dunn since he got bounced from the Reds...Dunn belongs in the AL where they have that silly DH and can't do any harm in the outfield!!!...after all, isn't that's what it is for???...;)

I am telling you right now, the NL East is going to be the best division in baseball. And IF not, the most fun and interesting to watch in all of baseball. This division could end up having ALL their team over .500.

My bid for the best division goes to the AL Central, AL East and the NL East.

Jimbo

Right-hander Ervin Santana and the Los Angeles Angels agreed to a four-year contract worth about $30 million on Saturday, a day after their scheduled arbitration hearing was postponed.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3907460"]Los Angeles Angels, Ervin Santana agree on four-year deal - ESPN[/ame]

Braves Close To Deal With Tom Glavine

By Drew Silva [February 16 at 10:07pm CST]
9:50pm: Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the Braves are close to re-signing Glavine. The lefty could potentially earn $4.5MM; here are the details:
Glavine would receive a $1MM guarantee, $1MM for making the Opening Day roster and two additional bonuses tied to the number of the days he is active, the source said.
6:22pm: According to the Associated Press, [ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3911918&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines"]Atlanta Braves, Tom Glavine move closer to reaching deal - ESPN[/ame], the Braves are making progress with free agent Tom Glavine.
The club made him a new offer this weekend worth $1MM guaranteed and another $3MM in deferred incentives. Glavine and his agent, Gregg Clifton, are obviously pining for more guaranteed cash.
"We continue to make progress," Clifton told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday. "When you have two sides that want to be together, it shouldn't be too difficult to reach a resolution."

Halladay A Midseason Trade Candidate?

By Tim Dierkes [February 16 at 1:46pm CST]
Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote yesterday about possible midseason trade candidates, Roy Halladay in particular. He says Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi "did not discount" the possibility of Halladay being this year's C.C. Sabathia, snagging this quote from Ricciardi:
"Ownership wants no part of trading Roy at this time. He's the face of the organization. Right now we are not thinking about going down that road. But that is what we feel in February. Who knows how you feel in June? We have thought about it, this has not escaped us [that Halladay could leave as a free agent, and trading him might be best for the long-term health of the organization]. In June, we may have to say. 'Is this the way we want to go?' It will be up to ownership, and ownership has a strong attachment to Doc."
Halladay is signed at a reasonable $14.25MM this year and $15.75MM for '10. Ricciardi also said the Jays could attempt to extend Halladay's contract this spring. Sherman also learned that the Jays tried to trade Vernon Wells this winter. Wells is owed $100MM over the next six seasons, and has a full no-trade clause. He hired a personal trainer who will shadow him this season in an attempt to keep him healthy.

What an addition Halladay would be at midseason!!!(similar to Sabathia last season).

I could see the Mets, Cardinals, Tigers or Indians being in the mix for his services. Just a hunch I have.

What an addition Halladay would be at midseason!!!(similar to Sabathia last season).

I could see the Mets, Cardinals, Tigers or Indians being in the mix for his services. Just a hunch I have.

Halladay in Cleveland?

Somewhere, I can hear HD drooling at the possibility...

Carmona, Lee, and possibly Halladay?

Halladay in Cleveland?

Somewhere, I can hear HD drooling at the possibility...

Carmona, Lee, and possibly Halladay?

My reasoning for the four teams I mentioned:

1. They're all contenders

2. They all have at least moderate payrolls

3. They all could use another starter

My reasoning for the four teams I mentioned:

1. They're all contenders

2. They all have at least moderate payrolls

3. They all could use another starter

I agree with your reasons, but I have another key that could decide who could get him:

What players could be dealt to Toronto.

It can also depend on which players these teams are willing to part with.

I agree with your reasons, but I have another key that could decide who could get him:

What players could be dealt to Toronto.

It can also depend on which players these teams are willing to part with.

Excellent point! :up

Obviously the Blue Jays would want prospects for any potential deal involving Halladay.

Wow. Halladay is one of the most consistent pitchers in the game. Year in and year out, he's consistently good. I would love the opportunity to add him to our staff.

Me too, except I think the Tigers are low on prospects, but ya never know what they may like in the lower levels.
Halladay would be the guy to put them over the top, if they are in a position to get him.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)