2008-09 MLB Hot Stove

Jimbo,

I think they are done FOR NOW.

Like Salsa said, I'm concerned about their catching situation.

Is Varitek going to hit his weight?

Is Bard all of a sudden going to be able to handle Wakefield's knuckleball (something he couldn't do 3 years ago when they jettisoned him to San Diego)?

Also, will Mike Lowell's hip hold up? With Kotsay out until at least May, who plays first if Youkilis has to be moved to third? Brad Wilkerson?

I am VERY happy about the pitching staff: Beckett, Lester, Dice-K, Wakefield and Penny is a very good starting five, and they have an ace in the hole with Smoltz hopefully by June.

The bullpen is the biggest improvement on the team: Papelbon is well, Papelbon. Masterson, Delcarmen and Okajima are for the most part solid. Plus they've added two good arms in Ramirez and Saito.

Boston has a VERY formidable lineup this year. With that starting 5 and rock solid bullpen, I would say adding a stud catcher is the least of their worries.

Boston has a VERY formidable lineup this year. With that starting 5 and rock solid bullpen, I would say adding a stud catcher is the least of their worries.
As for the possibility of adding a catcher, at least they aren't in a position of weakness in negotiating with other teams. They would have been if they had not signed Varitek...

ANGELS SIGN ABREU???

Word around the town The Mouse built this morning is that the Angels will be announcing the signing of Bobby Abreu within the next day or two. ;)

Abreu, Angels agree on one-year deal | MLB.com: News

For $5 million plus incentives, I'd say the Angels got the steal of the offseason so far!:cool:

Interesting move. The Angels declined to resign Mark DeRosa earlier on this year for a one year $5.5 million contract, but sign Abreu to about the same terms? Both had similar statistics last year and are apx the same age. Also, looking at the Angels depth chart, it doesn't seem like another outfielder is a position of need, but instead, an infielder like DeRosa would've been of more importance.

Any thoughts?

KCK,

the Halos got great bang for their buck on this one! GREAT move!!! :up

Will this move Vlady to DH?

I'd like to think so...but Mike is one who likes to keep his players "in the game" and I doubt he'd begin the season with a designated DH. (Sounds weird...a designated designated hitter!!!)

Interesting move. The Angels declined to resign Mark DeRosa earlier on this year for a one year $5.5 million contract, but sign Abreu to about the same terms? Both had similar statistics last year and are apx the same age. Also, looking at the Angels depth chart, it doesn't seem like another outfielder is a position of need, but instead, an infielder like DeRosa would've been of more importance.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Ummm...yes I do! First off, Mark DeRosa has never worn an Angels uniform. Secondly, if he did I doubt the organization would ever let a super duper utility guy that ever get out of their hands. :D

Any thoughts?[/quote]

Ummm...yes I do! First off, Mark DeRosa has never worn an Angels uniform. Secondly, if he did I doubt the organization would ever let a super duper utility guy that ever get out of their hands. :D

Woops, that's right, he came from the Cubs! Duh. I just remember you having high remarks for him, so I must've thought for a sec he came from your Angels. Woops. :eek::p

Woops, that's right, he came from the Cubs! Duh. I just remember you having high remarks for him, so I must've thought for a sec he came from your Angels. Woops. :eek::p

That's cool. I am an Angels fan first. However, I do enjoy watching individual players of the game on various teams, too. Hence, my affection for several of your Tribe (now including DeRo).

That's cool. I am an Angels fan first. However, I do enjoy watching individual players of the game on various teams, too. Hence, my affection for several of your Tribe (now including DeRo).

Cool.

Have you ever had the chance to follow Sal Fasano throughout his career? He's from the same mold you and I appreciate. Hard working son-of-a-gun who plays the game the right way. I had the honor to see him play with my Tribe at the end of last year. Salvatore may not be the most physically gifted player to grace the big leagues, but he sure works his ass off when given the chance.

Cool.

Have you ever had the chance to follow Sal Fasano throughout his career? He's from the same mold you and I appreciate. Hard working son-of-a-gun who plays the game the right way. I had the honor to see him play with my Tribe at the end of last year. Salvatore may not be the most physically gifted player to grace the big leagues, but he sure works his ass off when given the chance.

I sure have! I remember in Philly he had his own cheering section where all the dudes wore the big, black mustaches. It was great. I also remember him grumbling the short time he played with the Yankees where he had to shave his trademark facial hair. He likened it to Samson being shorn!!!!!

Abreu's a great hitter, but are the dimensions in Angel Stadium good for a hitter like him?

Philly is a great place to hit, and so was Yankee Stadium.

What about Anaheim?

Abreu's a great hitter, but are the dimensions in Angel Stadium good for a hitter like him?

Philly is a great place to hit, and so was Yankee Stadium.

What about Anaheim?

During day games the balls fly out to the Great American Adventure theme park! Once the cool ocean air comes in at dusk in the summer, the air gets heavier and it's not so easy. We're not as close to the water as Petco or AT&T where fog rolls in and the air gets thick as mud; but there is a definite difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)