2009-10 Hot Stove Baseball

Indians Sign 2

The Cleveland Indians have added two players to their minor league system. The club announced today that they have signed 1B/OF Shelley Duncan and OF Austin Kearns to minor league contracts with non-roster invitations to spring training camp.

The 30-year old Duncan was International League MVP in 2009 thanks to a record 30 home runs and 99 RBI. He hit .277 on the season and added 85 runs, 30 doubles and a triple. The former second-rounder has spent the bulk of his career with the Yankees and has a career major league average of .219 through 68 games.

Kearns, 29, has a career major league average of .256 and has spent his professional career with the Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals. He was the seventh overall selection in the 1998 draft.

Transactions: Jamario Moon Hurt, Tribe Signs Two | WaitingForNextYear

I like the signing. Two years, "cheap". At Fenway his numbers should be comparable to Lowell's and he really solidifies the infield defense.

I do too, but mainly because of the two years!

I couldn't handle another Renteria/Lugo type contract!

Interesting moves in the AL Central

AL Central Moves
By Tim Dierkes [January 10 at 6:03pm CST]

A look at the moves made so far this offseason by AL Central clubs...

White Sox

* Acquired/re-signed: Mark Teahen, Omar Vizquel, Andruw Jones, J.J. Putz, Freddy Garcia, Juan Pierre, Freddy Dolsi, Jacob Marceaux, Wander Perez, Ryan Braun, Miguel Negron, Dylan Axelrod, Freddie Bynum, T.J. Bohn, Greg Aquino, Erick Threets, Mark Kotsay, Alejandro De Aza
* Lost: DeWayne Wise, Scott Podsednik, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Jon Link, John Ely, Wilson Betemit, Jerry Owens

Indians

* Acquired/re-signed: Brian Buscher, Jason Grilli, Mike Gosling, Anthony Reyes, Mitch Talbot, Luis Rodriguez, Hector Ambriz, Saul Rivera, Shelley Duncan, Austin Kearns, Jose Constanza
* Lost: Jamey Carroll, Kelly Shoppach, Greg Aquino, Vinnie Chulk, Masahide Kobayashi, Zach Jackson

Tigers

* Acquired/re-signed: Adam Everett, Daniel Schlereth, Max Scherzer, Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, Enrique Gonzalez, Macay McBride, Robinzon Diaz, Brad Thomas
* Lost: Placido Polanco, Brandon Lyon, Clay Rapada, Edwin Jackson, Curtis Granderson, Freddy Dolsi, Dusty Ryan, Matt Treanor

Royals

* Acquired/re-signed: Jason Kendall, Brian Anderson, Scott Podsednik, John Parrish, Noel Arguelles, Wilson Betemit, Edgar Osuna, Scott Thorman, Reggie Taylor, Cody Clark, Irving Falu, John Bannister, Jorge Campillo, Brad Thompson, Edwin Bellorin, Bryan Bullington, Juan Mora, Josh Rupe, Steve Lerud, Jorge Bonifacio, Buck Coats, Philip Humber, Devon Lowery, Julio Pimentel, Francisco Rosario, Adam Bostick, Bruce Chen, Nelson Payano, Vance Wilson, Ernesto Mejia, Shane Costa, Damon Hollins
* Lost: Mark Teahen, Lenny DiNardo, Miguel Olivo, Coco Crisp, Tug Hulett, John Buck, Josh Anderson, Tony Pena Jr.

Twins

* Acquired/re-signed: J.J. Hardy, Carl Pavano, Clay Condrey, Yancarlos Ortiz, Henry Arias, Jose Lugo, Chris Province, Mike Maroth, Brock Peterson
* Lost: Brian Buscher, Boof Bonser, Carlos Gomez, Armando Gabino, Bobby Keppel, R.A. Dickey, Philip Humber

Reports: Aroldis Chapman agrees to deal with Cincinnati Reds - ESPN :up

Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman has an agreement to play with the Moved Permanently, multiple outlets reported on Sunday.
One source told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure that the Reds expect to sign Chapman, a coveted left-handed pitcher, to a deal believed to be worth $30 million over five years.

Keith Law on Chapman

mlb_g_chapman_65.jpg
ESPN.com's Keith Law wrote the following about Chapman, who was No. 5 on his list of the top free agents of the offseason:
Chapman is the wild card of the free-agent market, as his track record is largely unknown, he has barely thrown for clubs since defecting and he is represented by agents who haven't handled a free agent of this magnitude before. When Chapman is on, he'll show No. 1 starter stuff, with a fastball in the mid-90s (and yes, as high as 101 mph) with good tail and a mid-80s slider that will show plus with legitimate tilt, although the latter pitch isn't consistent. He does have a soft changeup, but he lacks feel for it and pushes it out of his hand rather than selling it with good arm speed. His command isn't good, and he's more thrower than pitcher, with a very loose arm that makes the velocity come out easily. Since defecting, he has worked on his body, and scouts who've seen him recently say he's stronger and in better overall shape. He might be a No. 1 starter; he might be an ace closer; he might be a mountain of frustration. Is that worth $60 million? Or the fourth- or fifth-biggest contract of the offseason? Not to me, but he's worth some eight-figure amount because of the almost limitless upside. http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/insider/columns/story?columnist=law_keith&id=4647444
in.gif

Yahoo! Sports reported that Chapman agreed to a deal on Sunday morning. Other outlets reported the deal as well.

The Tiger's signed a closer yesterday - Valverde. Nice acquisition, if last season's arm troubles are gone. Now there a .500 club. Need to find some hitting now.

Midseason Trade Candidates

By Tim Dierkes
With the bigger free agent names off the board, many MLBTR readers are already looking ahead and trying to predict which big names will be available for trade during the summer. Here's our take.
Anything's possible, but I'd consider the Indians, Pirates, and Padres three clubs unlikely to contend in 2010. I also get the impression Mark Shapiro, Neal Huntington, and Jed Hoyer will be realistic and ready to deal if things aren't looking good come June. With that in mind, some of the more available players this summer might include Kerry Wood, Jake Westbrook, Jhonny Peralta, Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Ryan Doumit, Akinori Iwamura, Chris Young, Heath Bell, Kevin Correia, and Adrian Gonzalez. Obviously Gonzalez would be the one dominating MLBTR.
I'm sure surprises will emerge, but other possible sellers include the Nationals, Orioles, Blue Jays, Reds, Royals, and A's. Those clubs might make the following players available: Adam Dunn, Cristian Guzman, Kevin Millwood, Lyle Overbay, Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Gil Meche, David DeJesus, Kyle Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, and Coco Crisp. It's far from a complete list.
Other intriguing midseason trade candidates: Brandon Webb, Carl Crawford, Huston Street, and Brad Hawpe. The D'Backs would probably have to be out of contention to shop Webb, while the Rays and Rockies wouldn't necessarily be waving the white flag.
There are a few blockbuster-type names, longshots for sure, who could be trade bait if extension attempts fail and the teams are out of contention. For example, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, and Joe Mauer.

They couldn't find hitting last year, what makes us think they will this year ?

It was just a suggestion.;) I four hitters were hitting in the first half of the season, we would have made the playoffs. Now the #1 and #2 spots in the order are up in the air. And the bottom 3rd of the lineup remains pathetic. We do have pitching, just thought it would be nice to give them some support.

It was just a suggestion.;) I four hitters were hitting in the first half of the season, we would have made the playoffs. Now the #1 and #2 spots in the order are up in the air. And the bottom 3rd of the lineup remains pathetic. We do have pitching, just thought it would be nice to give them some support.

:D:D:D

By Tim Dierkes
With the bigger free agent names off the board, many MLBTR readers are already looking ahead and trying to predict which big names will be available for trade during the summer. Here's our take.
Anything's possible, but I'd consider the Indians, Pirates, and Padres three clubs unlikely to contend in 2010. I also get the impression Mark Shapiro, Neal Huntington, and Jed Hoyer will be realistic and ready to deal if things aren't looking good come June. With that in mind, some of the more available players this summer might include Kerry Wood, Jake Westbrook, Jhonny Peralta, Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Ryan Doumit, Akinori Iwamura, Chris Young, Heath Bell, Kevin Correia, and Adrian Gonzalez. Obviously Gonzalez would be the one dominating MLBTR.
I'm sure surprises will emerge, but other possible sellers include the Nationals, Orioles, Blue Jays, Reds, Royals, and A's. Those clubs might make the following players available: Adam Dunn, Cristian Guzman, Kevin Millwood, Lyle Overbay, Scott Downs, Jason Frasor, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Gil Meche, David DeJesus, Kyle Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, and Coco Crisp. It's far from a complete list.
Other intriguing midseason trade candidates: Brandon Webb, Carl Crawford, Huston Street, and Brad Hawpe. The D'Backs would probably have to be out of contention to shop Webb, while the Rays and Rockies wouldn't necessarily be waving the white flag.
There are a few blockbuster-type names, longshots for sure, who could be trade bait if extension attempts fail and the teams are out of contention. For example, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, and Joe Mauer.

Bill,
Didn't Hernandez just sign a huge contract ?
Verlander I think will be signed very soon, by the Tigers that is.

Edit:
Sorry Bill,
Hernandez DID sign today, then I noticed you posted it yesterday :eek:
5 years 80 M

By Tim Dierkes

Bill, Verlander and the tiger's are probably headed to arbitration as i write this. Won't matter because I'm sure Verlander's destination in FA will be pinstripes. This happens after two seasons. No way the tiger's will pony up the $150M that Verlander will want.

Bill, Verlander and the tiger's are probably headed to arbitration as i write this. Won't matter because I'm sure Verlander's destination in FA will be pinstripes. This happens after two seasons. No way the tiger's will pony up the $150M that Verlander will want.

I hope your wrong .....

I don't see ANY WAY the Tigers won't sign Verlander to a long term contract.

IF they should NOT, they would stand to lose a ton of thier fan support, it would be a public relations nightmare.

This just in: The Cleveland Indians' lack of offseason moves guarantees to keep the team stuck in mediocrity....

Two reasons for this: The economy and lack of a salary cap prevents our cheap owner from making this team competitive. The dismantling of a team on the brink of a World Series in 2007 offended even the most loyal fans, myself included. Looks like nothing will be done anytime soon to help heal those wounds either. :rolleyes: :mad:

The New York Mets have acquired outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. in a trade with the Los Angeles Angels, a baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com on Friday.

Matthews will combine with Angel Pagan to hold down center field while Carlos Beltran recovers from offseason knee surgery.

The Associated Press reported Friday that the Angels agreed to send the Mets $21 million as part of the trade. There were two years and $23 million remaining on Matthews' contract with the Angels.
:eek:

Source: New York Mets acquire OF Gary Matthews Jr. from Los Angeles Angels - ESPN Los Angeles

the Angels agreed to send the Mets $21 million as part of the trade. There were two years and $23 million remaining on Matthews' contract with the Angels. :eek:

Bizarre. The pitcher they got in return is a 30 year old, "never was" with a career ERA of 5+ and has shown no discernible flashes of ever being any more than a below average set-up man. You don't have to trade anyone to obtain one of those. How can Matthews be worth no more than a million a year for two years to the 28 other teams in baseball?

SPEAKING of the METS: I wonder what will happen to Jason Bay's stats hitting in the Grand Cayon with no where near as good a line-up protecting him as it did with the Red Sox...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)