2009 MLB Playoffs

I'm very happy to see my favorite Sox lineup being employed tonight!!!

Jacoby Ellsbury- CF
Dustin Pedroia- 2B
Victor Martinez- C
Kevin Youkilis- 1B
David Ortiz- DH
Jason Bay- LF
Mike Lowell- 3B
J.D. Drew- RF
Alex Gonzalez- SS

Jon Lester- P

I don't believe Jason Varitek will see any action. Varitek should be very proud of what he did in Boston and also the no hitters he caught. Four or Five , I can't remember. Victor Martinez is going to fit in just fine in Boston.

I don't believe it's going to be as easy to beat the Angles this time. I think they will do it but it's not going to be easy.

I don't believe Jason Varitek will see any action. Varitek should be very proud of what he did in Boston and also the no hitters he caught. Four or Five , I can't remember. Victor Martinez is going to fit in just fine in Boston.

I agree. Varitek was a huge cog in two world championship teams, but it's Victor Martinez time NOW! :)

Tek caught four no-no's (Hideo Nomo, Derek Lowe, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester). It's hard to believe he caught four, and not one of them were Pedro, Schilling or Beckett.

I don't believe it's going to be as easy to beat the Angles this time. I think they will do it but it's not going to be easy.

It certainly won't be easy. I'm literally on the fence on who wins this series. I honestly believe it's 50-50.

It certainly won't be easy. I'm literally on the fence on who wins this series. I honestly believe it's 50-50.
Really? I think the Sox take it. What have the Angles done to show that they won't choke? When they get to Fenway it's over.

Really? I think the Sox take it. What have the Angles done to show that they won't choke? When they get to Fenway it's over.

Anders, three things:

1. Law of averages- the Angels are (and have been) too good a team this decade for this postseason dominance to continue (you would think).

2. The Red Sox absolutely S-U-C-K at throwing out runners. Varitek, V-Mart, Kottaras...........it didn't matter.

3. The Angels lineup, IMO, is deeper than at any point they've played the Sox in the postseason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Sox don't have a chance.

But would you HONESTLY be surprised if this series went EITHER way?

This may be the year that the Angels lose the Red Sox curse and the Yankees lose the Angels curse. Something's gotta give.
The Angels are just due to end this drought against the Sox.

Interestingly, the Angels usually handle the Yanks. If they happen to meet in the second round, I wonder if the Yanks will turn their luck around against the Angels???

Anders, three things:

1. Law of averages- the Angels are (and have been) too good a team this decade for this postseason dominance to continue (you would think).

2. The Red Sox absolutely S-U-C-K at throwing out runners. Varitek, V-Mart, Kottaras...........it didn't matter.

3. The Angels lineup, IMO, is deeper than at any point they've played the Sox in the postseason.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Sox don't have a chance.

But would you HONESTLY be surprised if this series went EITHER way?
Few things really surprise in baseball so maybe the Angles could win. To the extent I try to handicap baseball I usually ignore most stats. These teams look about even on paper so you could argue it either way based on the numbers. What matters to me though is who is more confident. Baseball is not a game where you can win on emotion or adrenaline like football or basketball. You have to be focused and stay relaxed, let the game come to you. Teams that are tight usually fail. The Angels' history against the Sox is terrible and they know it. If they lose a game early in the series the pressure increases. That's trouble. I don't think the Angels really believe they can win, though they'd never say so. Boston has to think they own these guys. That's all the difference you need. How confident are you that the Angels' pitchers could get out of a jam in Fenway?

The only other thing I look at is the bullpens. That's why I hate the Phillies chances. They've got a good team in every area except the pen.

Few things really surprise in baseball so maybe the Angles could win. To the extent I try to handicap baseball I usually ignore most stats. These teams look about even on paper so you could argue it either way based on the numbers. What matters to me though is who is more confident. Baseball is not a game where you can win on emotion or adrenaline like football or basketball. You have to be focused and stay relaxed, let the game come to you. Teams that are tight usually fail. The Angels' history against the Sox is terrible and they know it. If they lose a game early in the series the pressure increases. That's trouble. I don't think the Angels really believe they can win, though they'd never say so. Boston has to think they own these guys. That's all the difference you need. How confident are you that the Angels' pitchers could get out of a jam in Fenway?

The only other thing I look at is the bullpens. That's why I hate the Phillies chances. They've got a good team in every area except the pen.

If I may...the Angels closed out the final weeks of the season with very strong pitching. It was understandably horrible in April and May, but once the Angels' juggernaut of offense ended in early September, the pitching staff came on very strong to end the season. And Mike has a few tricks up his sleeve if his closer wobbles, trust me.

How confident are you that the Angels' pitchers could get out of a jam in Fenway?

Actually, the Sox have dominated more at the Big A than Fenway. Going back to 2004, the Sox are 5-0 in postseason games in Anaheim, and 4-1 at Fenway. Also, for the most part, the closer games have been at Fenway.

This is/has been the Red Sox strength all season.

IMO, the Sox have the deepest bullpen of all the postseason teams.

Actually, the Sox have dominated more at the Big A than Fenway. Going back to 2004, the Sox are 5-0 in postseason games in Anaheim, and 4-1 at Fenway. Also, for the most part, the closer games have been at Fenway.

Are you sure about that?

I don't know how you east coaster do it. I had a hard enough time staying up until 10:30 here on the west coast to finish watching the Dodgers game. I cannot even imaging waiting until 9:30 to see the start of my team's playoff game.

I don't know how you east coaster do it. I had a hard enough time staying up until 10:30 here on the west coast to finish watching the Dodgers game. I cannot even imaging waiting until 9:30 to see the start of my team's playoff game.
When you're a fan you do what you gotta do.....

This just makes my point. The Sox ought to be able to get at least one win on the road, and I like their ptiching too.

If I may...the Angels closed out the final weeks of the season with very strong pitching. It was understandably horrible in April and May, but once the Angels' juggernaut of offense ended in early September, the pitching staff came on very strong to end the season. And Mike has a few tricks up his sleeve if his closer wobbles, trust me.
Regular season doesn't matter now. I don't think they've got the guys who could get a must out with the pressure on in Fenway. Those Boston fans are a lot tougher than the latte drinking folks in SoCal. ;)

UFL Ignored

Soldier Tribute on CBC HNinC/NHL Network

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts