2009 MLB Playoffs

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
One LDS series is set: Red Sox-Angels will meet for the 2,658th time this decade (it just seems that way :eek:).

RED SOX-ANGELS

Game 1- WED 10/7 OR THUR 10/8- at Anaheim (TBS)
Game 2- FRI 10/9- at Anaheim (TBS)
Game 3- SUN 10/11- at Boston (TBS)
Game 4- MON 10/12- at Boston (TBS)
Game 5- WED 10/14- at Anaheim (TBS)

AL CENTRAL WINNER-YANKEES

Game 1- WED 10/7 OR THUR 10/8- at NY (TBS)
Game 2- FRI 10/9- at NY (TBS)
Game 3- SUN 10/11- at AL Central (TBS)
Game 4- MON 10/12- at AL Central (TBS)
Game 5- WED 10/14- at NY (TBS)

Both NLDS series will begin on Wed. 10/7...........matchups TBD.

Start times to be announced Sunday night or Monday........................

The Dodgers will be playing either Philly or St. Louis because of the stupid rule that the wild card cannot play the division winner of the same division.

BTW, I am not talking about the Rox playing the Dodgers, I am talking about the Dodgers playing the Rox because the Dodgers are looking more and more like they are going to be the WC.

One LDS series is set: Red Sox-Angels will meet for the 2,658th time this decade (it just seems that way :eek:).

RED SOX-ANGELS

Game 1- WED 10/7 OR THUR 10/8- at Anaheim (TBS)
Game 2- FRI 10/9- at Anaheim (TBS)
Game 3- SUN 10/11- at Boston (TBS)
Game 4- MON 10/12- at Boston (TBS)
Game 5- WED 10/14- at Anaheim (TBS)

AL CENTRAL WINNER-YANKEES

Game 1- WED 10/7 OR THUR 10/8- at NY (TBS)
Game 2- FRI 10/9- at NY (TBS)
Game 3- SUN 10/11- at AL Central (TBS)
Game 4- MON 10/12- at AL Central (TBS)
Game 5- WED 10/14- at NY (TBS)

Both NLDS series will begin on Wed. 10/7...........matchups TBD.

Start times to be announced Sunday night or Monday........................
I hope they do not do any of those stupid 8:00pm (11:00pm Eastern) West coast games. 8:00pm is way too late to start a game. We would have to stay up until at least 11:00pm to finish watching the game.

They have done some 8:00pm PDT first round games before. Because it started so late, I never even bothered to turn the game on.

I hope they do not do any of those stupid 8:00pm (11:00pm Eastern) West coast games. 8:00pm is way too late to start a game. We would have to stay up until at least 11:00pm to finish watching the game.

They have done some 8:00pm PDT first round games before.

I hear ya, but I think the latest a game will start is 10:00 ET/7:00 PT

I think it will look something like this:

WED
Rockies-Phillies- 3:00 ET/ noon PT
Tigers-Yankees- 6:30 ET/ 3:30 PT
Cardinals-Dodgers- 10:00 ET/ 7:00 PT

THUR
same as above, except Red Sox-Angels at 6:30/3:30 instead of Tigers-Yankees

FRI
Tigers-Yankees- 6:30 ET/ 3:30 PT
Red Sox-Angels- 10:00 ET/ 7:00 PT

SAT
Phillies-Rockies- 5:00 ET/ 2:00 PT
Dodgers-Cardinals- 8:30 ET/ 5:30 PT

Brrr. The NL must be rooting for the Angels. Who wants to play winter baseball? No domes up there among the contenders.

Brrr. The NL must be rooting for the Angels. Who wants to play winter baseball? No domes up there among the contenders.

Good point..............and if the World Series goes the distance, game 7 will be Nov. 5! :eek:

Can you imagine baseball in Detroit and Denver the first week of November? :yikes

Good point..............and if the World Series goes the distance, game 7 will be Nov. 5! :eek:

Can you imagine baseball in Detroit and Denver the first week of November? :yikes
The weather could be dicey everywhere besides LA. The Cardinals had a rainout in the WS back in 06, some of the playoff games in Detroit that year were played in near freezing temperatures, and there was a rainout in Philly last year in the WS.

FWIW, here's the announcers that will be calling the LDS on TBS:

Play-by-Play: Chip Caray, Don Orsillo, Dick Stockton and Brian Anderson

Analysts: Ron Darling, Buck Martinez, Joe Simpson, Dennis Eckersley and David Wells.

No word yet on who will be teamed with who.

FWIW, here's the announcers that will be calling the LDS on TBS:

Play-by-Play: Chip Caray, Don Orsillo, Dick Stockton and Brian Anderson

Analysts: Ron Darling, Buck Martinez, Joe Simpson, Dennis Eckersley and David Wells.

No word yet on who will be teamed with who.

Picture Chip and Boomer????? :eek::eek::eek:

In no way am I a Red Sox fan, but I would absolutely love to see them take down the Yankees in the ALCS. That would make my postseason.

Is there a die-hard Sox fan out there who would ever buy one of these??

pMLB2-6736333dt.jpg

Boston Red Sox Authentic 2009 AL Wild Card Champions Cap - MLB.com Shop

Whoever wins the Tigers/Twins division, who would have a better shot at taking the Yanks down in the LDS?

Tigers, but only because of the Verlander factor in a 5 game series.

In theory (granted it's a reach), the Tigers would have to win only one non-Verlander start to advance to the ALCS.

Whoever wins the Tigers/Twins division, who would have a better shot at taking the Yanks down in the LDS?

neither.

epic yanks/red sox alcs.

past wrongs to be righted.

i look forward to watching the yankees drop bunt after bunt on wakefield, like they should have done to schilling in 2004.

neither.

epic yanks/red sox alcs.

past wrongs to be righted.

i look forward to watching the yankees drop bunt after bunt on wakefield, like they should have done to schilling in 2004.

Won't happen.

Wakefield will not be on the postseason roster.

Besides, why are you counting the Angels out? :confused:

Speaking of postseason rosters, this is what I'm expecting the Red Sox to go to war with against the Angels:

Pitchers (11)
Jon Lester
Josh Beckett
Clay Buchholz
Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jonathan Papelbon
Daniel Bard
Billy Wagner
Hideki Okajima
Manny Delcarmen
Ramon Ramirez
Takashi Saito

Infielders/DH (7)
Kevin Youkilis
Dustin Pedroia
Mike Lowell
Alex Gonzalez
David Ortiz
Casey Kotchman
Jed Lowrie

Outfielders (4)
Jason Bay
Jacoby Ellsbury
J.D. Drew
Rocco Baldelli

Catchers (2)
Victor Martinez
Jason Varitek

That leaves one roster spot remaining. IMO, it will come down to a third catcher (George Kottaras) which could be important if V-Mart sees significant time at 1B because of Lowell's recurring hip issue, OR a fifth OF/pinch runner in Joey Gathright.

Personally, I hope they go the Gathright route. Having a guy with Gathright's blazing speed on the bench in the late innings could be invaluable!

Last edited:
That leaves one roster spot remaining. IMO, it will come down to a third catcher (George Kottaras) which could be important if V-Mart sees significant time at 1B because of Lowell's recurring hip issue, OR a fifth OF/pinch runner in Joey Gathright.

Personally, I hope they go the Gathright route. Having a guy with Gathright's blazing speed on the bench in the late innings could be invaluable!

I agree 100%. Dave Roberts comes to mind.

I hope the Sox do well. I'm still a huge fan of V-Mart and I'd be happy if he got a ring.

I hope the Sox do well. I'm still a huge fan of V-Mart and I'd be happy if he got a ring.

IMO, the Red Sox don't make the playoffs without the acquistions of V-Mart and Gonzalez, and the calling up of Buchholz.

Martinez is a great hitter, and is also a class act all the way! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts