2009 MLB Playoffs

FWIW, here's the announcers that will be calling the LDS on TBS:

Play-by-Play: Chip Caray, Don Orsillo, Dick Stockton and Brian Anderson

Analysts: Ron Darling, Buck Martinez, Joe Simpson, Dennis Eckersley and David Wells.

No word yet on who will be teamed with who.

Eck and Wells will join Ernie Johnson and Cal Ripken in the studio.

Bob Brenly has been added, and will be teamed with Dick Stockton on a NLDS.

The other pairings:

Caray/Darling
Orsillo/Martinez
Anderson/Simpson

Regardless of who wins the AL Central, a lot of people think their representative might be the weakest of the 8 playoff teams.

How would you rank the playoff teams.

Speaking of postseason rosters, this is what I'm expecting the Red Sox to go to war with against the Angels:

Pitchers (11)
Jon Lester
Josh Beckett
Clay Buchholz
Daisuke Matsuzaka

Jonathan Papelbon
Daniel Bard
Billy Wagner
Hideki Okajima
Manny Delcarmen
Ramon Ramirez
Takashi Saito

Infielders/DH (7)
Kevin Youkilis
Dustin Pedroia
Mike Lowell
Alex Gonzalez
David Ortiz
Casey Kotchman
Jed Lowrie

Outfielders (4)
Jason Bay
Jacoby Ellsbury
J.D. Drew
Rocco Baldelli

Catchers (2)
Victor Martinez
Jason Varitek

That leaves one roster spot remaining. IMO, it will come down to a third catcher (George Kottaras) which could be important if V-Mart sees significant time at 1B because of Lowell's recurring hip issue, OR a fifth OF/pinch runner in Joey Gathright.

Personally, I hope they go the Gathright route. Having a guy with Gathright's blazing speed on the bench in the late innings could be invaluable!

Word is the Sox MAY go with only 10 pitchers against the Angels. BOTH Ramirez and Delcarmen have struggled recently, and NEITHER may make the roster. Instead there's talk the Sox will go with a long man (in case they need someone to eat innings, or God forbid a starter gets hurt), and that would be Paul Byrd.

And if the Sox carry only 10 pitchers, that would mean they would carry BOTH a third catcher (George Kottaras) and a 5th OF/pinchrunner (Joey Gathright).

How important is momentum heading into the playoffs?

There are cases where a hot team heading in can feed off it (2007 Rockies), but OTOH, the 2006 Cardinals forever changed that theory.

They limped into the playoffs considered the weakest of all the postseason teams, but stunned the doubters by winning the World Series.

Also, considering that we've had some recent unlikely Super Bowl champs (#6 seed Steelers in 2005), here's my philosophy- just get into the playoffs and anything can happen, regardless of whether you play hot or cold down the stretch.

Dodgers clinch the NL West.

We now have our NLDS set- Dodgers/Cardinals and Phillies/Rockies.

With Angels/Red Sox set up, all that remains is to determine who the Yankees will face.

Dodgers clinch the NL West.

We now have our NLDS set- Dodgers/Cardinals and Phillies/Rockies.

With Angels/Red Sox set up, all that remains is to determine who the Yankees will face.
It is about friggen time. Looks like I was wrong, but I am glad I was. :up

Updated Schedule:

Schedule.jpg

Gotta love how MLB gives the World Champions a 2:37pm weekday start for both game 1 and 2.

BULLS***!

And a game that will probably have the most viewers, Cards (Pujols) and Dodgers (Manny) a 9:30 ET start.

Ya know the spoiled yankees have to have the PRIME TIME spot whether they deserve it or not.

just so happens, it will be the Tigers or Twins as the opponent.
So it's good for me :)

I am just glad I am not on the east coast. There is no way in hell I am staying up to watch a game that starts at 9:30pm.

I am just glad I am not on the east coast. There is no way in hell I am staying up to watch a game that starts at 9:30pm.

Well it's better then the 11PM games we've had in prior years.

The flip side, of course, is instead of 6PM games on the east coast, you guys have 3PM games out there. Not good if you work during the day.

I lived in LA (Manhattan Beach & Redondo) for a couple of years, I never got used to that.

Sandra

Well it's better then the 11PM games we've had in prior years.

The flip side, of course, is instead of 6PM games on the east coast, you guys have 3PM games out there. Not good if you work during the day.

I lived in LA (Manhattan Beach & Redondo) for a couple of years, I never got used to that.

Sandra
I love that 3:00pm starts. Being a teacher I can watch a game right when I get home.

Here we go with the stupid time slots that MLB OK'd for TBS.

2:30, 6 and 9:30 how stupid.
I probably won't get to see the 9:30 games, or the 2:30 games for that matter.
This is what you get when the DS is awarded to one network. Before this, fans complained about concurrent games. You can't make everyone happy.

Right. No matter what time, no matter what day, no matter which teams are playing, somebody won't like it. Personally, I love the day games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts