2012 New HD Local Launches

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Zanesville, OH (currently SD only)
Alpena, MI
Glendive, MT
North Platte, NE
Presque Isle, ME

These are all 1 or 2 station markets so they could import a neighboring station. The last 4 on the list are 1 station with a subchannel markets only (sans PBS) so maybe its a retrans disagreement?

They would be easy markets to launch if they wanted to, and I'm sure they are important to the people that live there.

Alpena MI for example, has one local station that broadcast CBS and another network as a subchannel. So Directv gives them NY feeds of three major networks, the other one they have to get OTA. So unless they do an antenna setup, they don't get CBS.

What would be most logical would be to add the one channel for the market, which should be cheap given how few people there are in the market. It gets them their local news/weather. Then if possible (spotbeam limits) import the neighboring market locals. So Alpena for example should have their CBS and the other networks from Flint or Northern Michigan instead of New York.

If Directv really wanted to do it right they could, it just isn't a priority to them being such small markets.

I think it has to do with owners too. The market down the road from me is a 1 station market (CBS and now Fox subchannel) and Directv has it in HD (CBS)...the rest are imported from Minneapolis

Zanesville is weird as its a one station market (NBC) and that is the only station the owner has (they own a AM/FM and TV) so I guess if they dont agree you're screwed.

As for Alpena and Glendive, they have the same owner (Marks TV group). The only other station he owns is 5 (CW) & 10 (ABC) up in Marquette, MI

I think it has to do with owners too. The market down the road from me is a 1 station market (CBS and now Fox subchannel) and Directv has it in HD (CBS)...the rest are imported from Minneapolis

Zanesville is weird as its a one station market (NBC) and that is the only station the owner has (they own a AM/FM and TV) so I guess if they dont agree you're screwed.

I'm in Zanesville.. Interesting that WHIZ was able to go HD on Cable in the area soon after upgrading. I am able to pull WHIZHD ota but the real bummer is not having the Cbus' FOX ABC and CBS feeds.. In the past I've done the waiver thing only to see it go to the last day and then come back a no. frustrating.
anyway. long time reader, first time poster.. thanks for the discussion.

ha, if I do that I'd lose my Root Sports Pitt local, but given there is no hockey, it is a thought. Do you think WHIZ holding out is the only reason that the Cbus locals aren't in HD here? Ever see a market with a single have the others in HD but not the local station?

The rule in the "short markets" (where there isnt the full allotment of networks) is very simple

as long as ONE local station in the market is in HD, any imported ones would be too. But since the only station is WHIZ and they aren't HD you're sadly SOL

But as for "moving"...the Columbus market goes around the county Zanesville is in.....so pick a city east of there. I picked Cambridge and got the same RSN's as Zanesville
ohio.gif

not really. Once the locals launch they should be in the guide

The only county that gets Bend locals is Deschutes County. Counties south get Medford, Crook & Jefferson are Portland and west of there is Eugene so as long as your zip is in Deschutes Co you'll get Bend locals when they launch

I just looked and yeah KXND (Minot) is in the database

Minot stations in the database
PBS
KSREDT 6.1
KSREDT2 6.2
KSREDT3 6.3
KSREDT4 6.4

NBC
KMOTDT 10.1

CBS
KXMCDT 13.1

ABC
KMCYDT 14.1

FOX
KXNDDT 24.1

Does directv carry any minot stations or just the Bismarck stations?

Does directv carry any minot stations or just the Bismarck stations?
are you talking for the OTA database or satellite locals?

Here is a list of the OTA database locals for that market
KXMADT 2.1
KXMADT2 2.2
KXMADT3 2.3
KBMEDT 3.1
KBMEDT2 3.2
KBMEDT3 3.3
KBMEDT4 3.4
KWSEDT 4.1
KWSEDT2 4.2
KWSEDT3 4.3
KWSEDT4 4.4
KFYRDT 5.1
KSREDT 6.1
KSREDT2 6.2
KSREDT3 6.3
KSREDT4 6.4
KQCDDT 7.1
KUMVDT 8.1
KDSEDT 9.1
KDSEDT2 9.2
KDSEDT3 9.3
KDSEDT4 9.4
KMOTDT 10.1
KQSDDT 11.1
KXMDDT 11.1
KXMDDT2 11.2
KQSDDT3 11.3
KXMDDT3 11.3
KXMBDT 12.1
KXMBDT3 12.3
KXMCDT 13.1
KXMCDT3 13.3
KMCYDT 14.1
KBMYDT 17.1
KXNDDT 24.1
KNDXDT 26.1

I was hoping that Directv carried KXMC (CBS out of Minot) but found they in fact do not. Dishnetwork carries KFYR (NBC Bismarck) and KXMC (CBS Minot).

I love how Bend is the absolutely last place directv is launching and is taking the most time between uplink and actually receiving the channels.

Just incredible.

Isnt the CBS owned by the cable company there? That might be why

As for the channels not working, do you subscribe to locals? I know in markets where there were no locals, D* gave you a discount.

But it sounds like you already made your decision to leave.....so go ahead.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)