2014 MLB.TV

My auto renewal came out for $129 sometime last week. I watched a little bit of a couple spring training yesterday and listened to the Tigers opening Spring Training game using the At Bat App on my iPhone.

I actually use the At Bat app quite a bit because we have trouble getting the radio feed to come in clear inside our office building. I listen to pretty much all the day games with it at work. If I listen to a day game on the radio I will often watch the condensed game when I get home. This is a nice feature that edits the game down to show only the pitches that result in a run or an out. This is a nice way to see every important play of the game in about 15 minutes. This is also a cool touch if you are a fantasy baseball player and want to see a recap of the games your pitchers started in without sitting down for 3 hours.

For today, the Tigers radio network isn't even broadcasting the game but the Braves network is. I will be listening to it on WFOM out of Atlanta this afternoon. It's always interesting to hear the out of town radio or TV guy's opinions about your team.

MLB.tv is nice during spring training because FS Detroit televises very few Spring Training games. Sometimes the team they are playing against will be televising it if they aren't though.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you really should pay the extra $20 for premium if you are thinking about subscribing. In addition to getting both teams' feed of the game and the MLB at Bat app included free you also need premium if you want to watch on streaming devices. The basic version only works on computers and only gives you one feed of each game.

i got premium, hoping it is a lot of fun. is their a system that offers the best picture quality or are they all the same?

Usually they give a $5 off for auto-renewals, but not this year.

The deal is that auto-renewals get the yearly price from the previous year. In the past that meant you got a discount. This year they didn't raise the price so last years price didn't give us a discount.

i got premium, hoping it is a lot of fun. is their a system that offers the best picture quality or are they all the same?

Some people say the PS3 looks the best but I have used it many times on my PS3, Apple TV, and Roku. I don't really see any noticeable difference in picture quality between any of them. I use the Apple TV over the PS3 in my living room because it's low power, quiet, and I prefer the user interface. I use the Roku in my bedroom and I like that device too.

Basically, if you already have a streaming device just use what you have. If you are looking to buy something don't waste the extra money on a game console unless you want to play games on it too. You can get an Apple TV or Roku for $100 or less and it will give you the same or better streaming experience.

The only reason I ever used the PS3 last year is because it allowed you to overlay the synced up radio broadcast over the video. It's a cool feature but I don't find my team's TV announcers to be annoying enough to make me want to use it often. I mostly used it for ESPN or Fox games. Hopefully the audio overlay feature will be added to more devices this year.

I would to subscribe again, but....

I got sick of their blackout policy.

I live in Oklahoma City, but the St. Louis Cardinals are blacked out because a local am station carries one game a week.

I can get KC and Dallas without a blackout but not STL. STL is 500 miles from me, KC is 250 miles, and Dallas is 180 miles from me.

For several years I simply used a vpn to bypass the restriction but last year I decided that it was not worth the trouble and I watched something else.

If the blackout was lifted I would subscribe tonight.

The only reason I ever used the PS3 last year is because it allowed you to overlay the synced up radio broadcast over the video. It's a cool feature but I don't find my team's TV announcers to be annoying enough to make me want to use it often. I mostly used it for ESPN or Fox games. Hopefully the audio overlay feature will be added to more devices this year.

That feature is also available on the Roku. I used it quite a bit last year.

Does it really work? I thought that mlb was using the billing address of ones credit card.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It worked last year and the seasons before that so I assume it will. They do location checks with your IP address. The physical address for your credit card doesn't matter. Whenever I travel outside of Michigan I don't need to use any location spoofing services. Last summer I spent almost a month in North Carolina and all the Tigers games were all available to me even though my credit card has a Michigan address and I wasn't using unblock. That's one of the differences between EI and MLB.tv. EI uses the address of your account while MLB.tv uses the location information it can get from your IP address.

One thing to note. Devices like the iPhone/iPad that have GPS still use the GPS to determine blackouts. Services like unblock-us won't work on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edit: if you want to wait for confirmation that it still works this year wait for opening day. I already have it all setup and ready to go but MLB.tv doesn't blackout any spring training games so I haven't done an official test for this season yet. Once opening day for the Tigers is here 3/31 I will be able to confirm.

Last edited:
It makes a good combo with MLB.tv for cord cutters. It will avoid the blackout for every game by showing your location as outside the US. This means that in addition to getting your home team's games, you also get the ESPN Sunday Night games, all the Fox Saturday games, and the postseason games on TBS and MLB Network.

Even without unblock-us MLB.tv has less blackouts this year. The games that aren't shown on your local Fox station will be available live on MLB.tv this season. In previous years, if your local Fox affiliate didn't pick up the game you wanted to watch there was no other way to watch it.

Blackouts are awful, but living in Utah and watching my Yanks is great. I just ordered Extra Innings today from D* after I told them I'll probably just stick with MLB.tv. they asked me how much MLB.tv was and I said $130. They took $10off/month for the 6 month EI subscription. Plus they said that MLB.tv comes with Extra innings now anyways. So i got both EI and MLB.tv about the same price as a MLB.tv premium subscription. They said i'll be able to watch it online, on my ipad or iphone.

Well baseball season is officially underway. I got up at 6 this morning and watched from the 5th inning on with MLB.tv. The Sportsnet LA feed was having some major technical issues. Every once in a while the sound would repeat and the video would freeze for a second and then play really fast as it caught back up. This may have had something to do with a brand new channel broadcasting live from Australia. It wasn't a buffering issue. The picture stayed in sharp HD quality the whole time.

Luckily the Fox Sports Arizona feed was rock solid. I switched over to that feed at the first commercial break and never had a problem the rest of the game. I flipped back to the Sportsnet LA feed for the bottom of the 9th to see if it was just a glitch that had gone away but it was still doing it. Looks like I'll just stick to the FS Arizona feed for the 10PM game tonight.

The Sportsnet LA feed is good for tonight's game. Looks like they fixed whatever was causing the issues this morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)