What could Dish offer for $30/month streaming

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://recode.net/2014/06/06/would-you-pay-30-a-month-to-watch-these-channels-on-the-web/

Interesting article with charts as to how much it would cost Dish to stream TV. Essentially with Disney and the OTA networks it would cost them almost $22/month in programming fees. They contrast that to what they could offer without broadcast and Disney. For $11 in fees they could offer a lot more channels.

The question of course is, which service would be more popular, a $30-35/month with broadcast and Disney or $15-20/month without.

Id buy the network/ESPN package most likely as thats the bulk of our viewing. If it had the SEC network included, which would make sense, id be on it in a heartbeat.

Id buy the network/ESPN package most likely as thats the bulk of our viewing. If it had the SEC network included, which would make sense, id be on it in a heartbeat.

The previous press releases just said Dish had rights to stream as a bundle 5 Disney properties in an internet offering. ESPN, ESPN 2, Disney, ABCFamily and ABC.

So I doubt you will be seeing sec, longhorn, espnu, espnews,espnclassic, disney kids, disney jr etc...

The previous press releases just said Dish had rights to stream as a bundle 5 Disney properties in an internet offering. ESPN, ESPN 2, Disney, ABCFamily and ABC.

So I doubt you will be seeing sec, longhorn, espnu, espnews,espnclassic, disney kids, disney jr etc...
dish has rights to the ESPN streaming app which includes ALL ESPN channels..

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

dish has rights to the ESPN streaming app which includes ALL ESPN channels..

Yes, but the SEC Network, I think, will be getting a totally separate app for streaming. Or so I THINK I read in a previous release.
Even if it did, I also thought that I read that dish would have streaming rights to it once it launched. I may be wrong.

Yes, but the SEC Network, I think, will be getting a totally separate app for streaming. Or so I THINK I read in a previous release.
Even if it did, I also thought that I read that dish would have streaming rights to it once it launched. I may be wrong.
They might put the games on ESPN 3

and this has nothing to do with the watchespn app which is tied to a broadcast tv package. This is a standalone internet tv package.
They would be the same..the ap is the internet TV package for ESPN..internet TV is not like cable..in other words..you log into the ESPN ap on a roku using your dish network credentials..and you stream ESPN.. We all know someday there will be a charge for the ap

Really we dont know what any of this will have to do with, or if it will even come to pass. Its speculation.

Its already happening.the HBO ap is much better than watching 12 channels

I meant the stand alone internet packages talked about in this article is a theoretical list that the writer cooked up.

If or when Dish decides to offer something like this it could be a very different list of channels, may include the internet apps, may require a sat subscription, may be none of the above.

I meant the stand alone internet packages talked about in this article is a theoretical list that the writer cooked up.

If or when Dish decides to offer something like this it could be a very different list of channels, may include the internet apps, may require a sat subscription, may be none of the above.
I think what they are saying is that we will be paying for that APS as a separate charge..much like the DVR fee that suddenly appeared..eventually people will only want internet tv..

It is semi theoretical, but since we know Dish has the rights to ABC, Disney and ESPN via their Disney deal, it is reasonable to assume Dish would want to put them in a streaming package. But, as the author is trying to point out that they are the most expensive possible channels to include in such a package and would it really be what an internet streamer desires.

If aereo wins their lawsuit..dish will act swiftly..drop locals..offer aereo as a cheap replacement and build from there

They would be the same..the ap is the internet TV package for ESPN..internet TV is not like cable..in other words..you log into the ESPN ap on a roku using your dish network credentials..and you stream ESPN.. We all know someday there will be a charge for the ap

you either dont have a clue or just want to argue. They are not the same. They are digital rights to two distinctly different offerings.

you either dont have a clue or just want to argue. They are not the same. They are digital rights to two distinctly different offerings.
Do you know any cable systems or other providers that stream ESPN? I think you are expecting something that is not going to happen.

Do you know any cable systems or other providers that stream ESPN? I think you are expecting something that is not going to happen.

as I said you don't have a clue. That is exactly what Dish is trying to do and has the rights from Disney to do now.

No look at the dishworld ap on roku

No, Dish has the right to stream ESPN over the internet as part of an internet cable based system, this is not the same as the ESPN app. There are conditions on this (it has to be part of essentially a cable package like collection of channels), so it will not be offered until Dish has other content providers signed up.

Reactions: osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)