What could Dish offer for $30/month streaming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Do you know any cable systems or other providers that stream ESPN? I think you are expecting something that is not going to happen.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I subscribe to Comcast and they have live streams of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPN News and ESPN Deportes. Altogether Comcast has live streams of 47 different channels (not counting all of the Pac12 regional channels) ranging from Fox News to HGTV to Bein Sports to Starz.

My son connects his laptop to the unconnected to cable tv in his room and watches live tv whenever he feels like it.

I subscribe to Comcast and they have live streams of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPN News and ESPN Deportes. Altogether Comcast has live streams of 47 different channels (not counting all of the Pac12 regional channels) ranging from Fox News to HGTV to Bein Sports to Starz.

My son connects his laptop to the unconnected to cable tv in his room and watches live tv whenever he feels like it.

We do the same, thanks to Comcast streaming live channels and the Roku, we now only have the 1 X1 box and that is all we need, both kids have computers and tablets in their rooms along with Rokus hooked up to their TVs, everything they watch is on the Roku anyways.

Downstairs we only watch watch movies on the projector, so we only need a Roku ( because of Vudu) and the BR player.

So when I read on this forum where people are complaining about how much they pay to their Cable/Sat. service, ask yourself, do you really need all those extra boxes, like in your kids rooms, if they are like mine I would bet they watch more on their tablets/Computer/Roku type box with Netflix.

Comcast here charges $9.95 a month per extra HD box ($1.99 a month for the real basic box), so I am saving $29.85 by not having 3 boxes.

Now back to the subject of this thread, just received a letter that Comcast will be enforcing Data Caps here, since I have Extreme 105 service my limit is 500GBs, but those with Blast the limit is 300GBs, I am always over 300 every month, so I know if I had a IP TV service I would be over my limit and paying the $10 for each 50 GBs I am over, that would wipe out any savings I would have by having a IP TV service.

And that is how Cable will kill any such service, Data Caps, look at the battles they are having with Netflix for example, imagine how they would f*** with Dish if they had a TV service using their pipes.

We do the same, thanks to Comcast streaming live channels and the Roku, we now only have the 1 X1 box and that is all we need, both kids have computers and tablets in their rooms along with Rokus hooked up to their TVs, everything they watch is on the Roku anyways.

Downstairs we only watch watch movies on the projector, so we only need a Roku ( because of Vudu) and the BR player.

So when I read on this forum where people are complaining about how much they pay to their Cable/Sat. service, ask yourself, do you really need all those extra boxes, like in your kids rooms, if they are like mine I would bet they watch more on their tablets/Computer/Roku type box with Netflix.

Comcast here charges $9.95 a month per extra HD box ($1.99 a month for the real basic box), so I am saving $29.85 by not having 3 boxes.

Now back to the subject of this thread, just received a letter that Comcast will be enforcing Data Caps here, since I have Extreme 105 service my limit is 500GBs, but those with Blast the limit is 300GBs, I am always over 300 every month, so I know if I had a IP TV service I would be over my limit and paying the $10 for each 50 GBs I am over, that would wipe out any savings I would have by having a IP TV service.

And that is how Cable will kill any such service, Data Caps, look at the battles they are having with Netflix for example, imagine how they would f*** with Dish if they had a TV service using their pipes.

My son uses a Xbox 360 instead of a Roku in his room. He has the Xfinity app on his console, so not only does he get the typical stuff (HBOGO, Netflix, Crackle) but he can watch Comcast On Demand. I think I read a while back that Comcast wasn't going to count the data used through the Xfinity app towards peoples caps because it was considered part of the tv package. Of course that could have changed.

I too only have one HD STB from Comcast. I am renting two cable cards for my Tivo's though.

This is not the same as what Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and such offer where they will stream content to boxes in your house, over their cable. Dish's will stream anywhere using any broadband provider.

This is not the same as what Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and such offer where they will stream content to boxes in your house, over their cable. Dish's will stream anywhere using any broadband provider.
They will have to make deals with the broadband providers . ie. Netflix..good luck with that.. Do you really think Comcast will allow a competitor to stream on their backbone? If they build their own backbone and use their cell licenses to deliver..........

They will have to make deals with the broadband providers . ie. Netflix..good luck with that.. Do you really think Comcast will allow a competitor to stream on their backbone?

Eventually that could become an issue. Aereo does it now...

Eventually that could become an issue. Aereo does it now...
So does ESPN..HBO..Disney..seems a bit redundant for dish to do it when the program distributors already do it..which was really my original point

So does ESPN..HBO..Disney..seems a bit redundant for dish to do it when the program distributors already do it..which was really my original point

Up until now you had to have a cable or satellite subscription to use those services. Dish will be offering an internet only service, you will not have to have Dish satellite service to get the streaming.

Dish’s upcoming internet TV service to target cord cutters and “cord haters”

http://gigaom.com/2014/06/11/dishs-...rvice-to-target-cord-cutters-and-cord-haters/

Dish wants to make inroads with people who are fed up with traditional pay TV with its upcoming internet-based TV service, said the company’s GM of Interactive and Advanced TV Adam Lowy at the TV of Tomorrow Show in San Francisco Wednesday. “Cord cutters, cord nevers and what we call cord haters” will be the target audience of the new service, said Lowy.

Up until now you had to have a cable or satellite subscription to use those services. Dish will be offering an internet only service, you will not have to have Dish satellite service to get the streaming.
Cool

Here's what I know: I was Charlie's customer all the way back to the launch of Echostar's C band days, and the pattern is all too clear: rope em in, stuff the packages with junk channels, and raise the prices every chance you get. No way! When the LittleSillyDish happened in the US I predicted that after a few rounds, people would demand ala carte programming - but guess what? Joe-Sixpack isn't that smart!

Right now, they want $80/mo for the "America's Top 250" and they've given up providing a yearly discount on the package. The last time I was a paying customer, I was getting that package for $63/mo. Then I went on Dish Pause, with the understanding that I could turn it back on at the new home for the SAME PRICE. They refused to honor that promise! So I am done with them.

I sent Mr. Ergen a postcard about it, I'm sure he never saw it. That's what Corp America does,it wraps layers of insulation around the top management until they are totally out of touch with reality.

The program producers need to look at this model of getting their wares to the consumer and make a decision. The promise of 'pay-tv' was "NO COMMERCIALS"....remember that? Now go to the Disney XD channel (you know, the one your grankids love so much!) and bring your stopwatch..another broken promise.

Streaming isn't a lot better on the saturation of commercials, owning a ROKU-2 for 3 months has proven that to me. The National Association of Broadcasters was infiltrated by commercial interests during the Reagan years, and the FCC let the broadcasters add many more commercials per hour.

The solution is simple: stop watching those commercials, hit the mute button. And refuse to cooperate with their so-called business model. Streaming isn't going to solve anything until the issue of program content per hour vs. advertisements is. All streaming provides is an alternative path to the viewer. Another chance to watch <something>. The model for ipTV needs to be different, because the consumer is now already "paying the delivery charge" via their Internet connection. Think about it.

Unfortunately hitting the mute button does not solve anything. But thats a different argument for another day.

I got to admit that lately most of my TV viewing has been on my Roku 3.

I got to admit that lately most of my TV viewing has been on my Roku 3.

I think just about everything I watch is on my Roku or my iPad sooner or later.

CBS-Can watch OTA or my pad.
NBC, ABC, CW and FOX-OTA or Hulu Plus.
PBS-OTA or the Roku.
A&E-Roku, all of their shows are on their app for a week without signing in, also they are on Netflix a year later.
AMC-All of their shows are on Netflix a year after they air.
F/X-All of their shows are on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu ( Depends on which show) a year after they air.
CNN, Fox News-have to sign in with a valid Cable/Sat. Service on the pad, or watch Sky News or CNN International on the Roku.
SyFy-All of their shows are on Netflix a few months after they air.
BBC America-All of their shows are on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu ( Depends on which show) a year after they air.
Food Network-My wife loves this channel, not on the Roku, have to sign in with a valid Cable/Sat. Service on the pad.
USA-All of their shows are on Netflix, Amazon or Hulu ( Depends on which show) a year after they air.
Disney-Netflix

Also I don't need any premium channels, I share my Ultra Violet / Vudu with four other family members, so we spilt the cost of new movies and TV series ( like Homeland for example) that we want to buy five ways, a whole lot cheaper then having all the premium services.

I'm a very happy cord cuter from Dish. According to them I'm the target of their new service. They must be stupid. When I canceled Dish they tried to make me change my mind and asked me what they can do to keep me as their customer. I told them that I will stay as a client if they will sell me only the channels that I want. They told me that is not possible. I told them to call me back when it will be possible. And now they are trying a new service modeled after their current one, bundle channels together and sell a package!
Hey, Dish! That's why I left you! Thank you but no thank you!

I'm a very happy cord cuter from Dish. According to them I'm the target of their new service. They must be stupid. When I canceled Dish they tried to make me change my mind and asked me what they can do to keep me as their customer. I told them that I will stay as a client if they will sell me only the channels that I want. They told me that is not possible. I told them to call me back when it will be possible. And now they are trying a new service modeled after their current one, bundle channels together and sell a package!
Hey, Dish! That's why I left you! Thank you but no thank you!

Unfortunately that is unlikely to change anytime soon. The programming providers demand bundling. Press reports of the Disney deal is that they cannot sell the Disney channels they have licensed until they get a certain number of other providers to go along with the service and license their channels in the same package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)