2016 NCAA football discussion thread

Win or lose they will still own the bowl game record for this year.
And if bama wins this natty, Saban will have won a national championship in fifty percent of the ten years he's been the coach at Bama.

I'll take that. ;)

You know, I pick alot, but seriously that is insane.

As much history as Bama has, with some coaching greats, this is probably the best overall run in college football history.

It's been fun to be a part of.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And if bama wins this natty, Saban will have won a national championship in fifty percent of the ten years he's been the coach at Bama.

I'll take that. ;)

You know, I pick alot, but seriously that is insane.

As much history as Bama has, with some coaching greats, this is probably the best overall run in college football history.

It's been fun to be a part of.

Very true.

Also, the media for the most part proclaimed the Big Ten to be the best this year .... ok.
To me, you have to do it 2-3 years at least be better than others to be in that catagory.

The sec has been said to have a down year this year, however, if they come back next year, that is what it was, a down year.

If the Big Ten has multiple teams up in the top 10 at least again next year, then, ok, they have progressed nicely .. if they continue, great, if they drop off to only 1 team like they have previously, thats not a strong Big Ten, thats a Strong Team in the Big Ten.

Same goes for the sec, this year the sec was down, but not for Bama ... yes the sec was down, but they could still win it all.

For many years the Big Ten was down, but Ohio State was still strong.

Well see if the tide is actually changing or not.

Fwiw, Welcome to relevance ACC teams... lets see if you stay there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derwin0 and Ronnie-
Fwiw, as of right now ...
I've always liked Saban's way of coaching ... also my best friend growing up was a huge Bama fan so I followed them as well ... that was back in the Bear days.
When Woody was coaching as well. I've always been a Buckeyes fan.

Last year I think I pulled for Bama ...
This year I think I'm pulling for DeShawn Watson ...

Typically in these type of games if I have no actual pulling interest, i'll pull for the underdog, OR I'll watch some of the game and eventually realize who I'm pulling for more.

I still have time to decide, but I think i will pull for Clemson this year.

Even with the win record I'm not so sure the acc has made it.

Look at the matchups and the wins.

Aside from the wins by Clemson and FSU, are any really that impressive or unexpected?

Maryland, vandy, temple, Kentucky. These are some of the teams that they beat

They did have some decent wins over Arkansas and West Virginia that would be considered upsets.

They also had a bad loss by Louisville and Pitt to underdogs. And those were two of their five ranked teams.

Reactions: Jimbo
Fwiw, as of right now ...
I've always liked Saban's way of coaching ... also my best friend growing up was a huge Bama fan so I followed them as well ... that was back in the Bear days.
When Woody was coaching as well. I've always been a Buckeyes fan.

Last year I think I pulled for Bama ...
This year I think I'm pulling for DeShawn Watson ...

Typically in these type of games if I have no actual pulling interest, i'll pull for the underdog, OR I'll watch some of the game and eventually realize who I'm pulling for more.

I still have time to decide, but I think i will pull for Clemson this year.
I think alot of people are pulling for Clemson and I get it. Bama fatigue.

Even with the win record I'm not so sure the acc has made it.

Look at the matchups and the wins.

Aside from the wins by Clemson and FSU, are any really that impressive or unexpected?

Maryland, vandy, temple, Kentucky. These are some of the teams that they beat

They did have some decent wins over Arkansas and West Virginia that would be considered upsets.

They also had a bad loss by Louisville and Pitt to underdogs. And those were two of their five ranked teams.
Ga Tech did beat a team from the mighty SEC though ;)
For a 3rd time this season. :D

granted it was Vandy, Georgia, and Kentucky, but still the SEC, and some here have talked about how mighty the conference is. ;)
Perhaps we should have gone to Atlanta with our 3-0 SEC east record. Couldn't have done worse than Florida. :D

Reactions: mccoyrj
Its harder to win recruits now than it used to be I think as in just 10 years ago. Just so much incentive to go to Alabama as a big recruit knowing their history which is just adding more bricks to the building. Many schools are recruiting in the 757 area code taking those big players away whom may have gone to VT or UVA for example... its really a money driven thing with the facilities you gotta have to pull em in vs just the local drive for relatives anymore.
Then you have the early get out of school card for the NFL which IMO is the worst thing. You should have to do 4 years in the college before going to the Draft....I don't believe in this do two years and you can leave nonsense.

Its harder to win recruits now than it used to be I think as in just 10 years ago. Just so much incentive to go to Alabama as a big recruit knowing their history which is just adding more bricks to the building. Many schools are recruiting in the 757 area code taking those big players away whom may have gone to VT or UVA for example... its really a money driven thing with the facilities you gotta have to pull em in vs just the local drive for relatives anymore.
Then you have the early get out of school card for the NFL which IMO is the worst thing. You should have to do 4 years in the college before going to the Draft....I don't believe in this do two years and you can leave nonsense.
This much I agree with you about.
At your major schools, Ohio State for example and I'm sure Bama and others are the same way, get a kid in school, if he doesn't start right away, the Freshman year is gone, he plays his second year and is gone while playing only a year or two at most.
In your major schools you come in and have to wait thier turn .

Being out in the middle of nowhere (ie, Blackburg) doesn't help either.

Those 757 people are probably more drawn to Maryland which actually inside the DC Beltway, or even the North Carolina schools which are closer to them.
Actually the NFL requires draft candidates to be 3 (not 2) years out of high school.

Which IMO is a good balance, as by that time, the player knows if they want to spend another year to get a degree, or if college was just a waste of time for them.

The NBA's 1 and done rule is far far worse.

I like baseball's rule, where if you decide to go to college you have to stay for 3 years and if you don't want to go, you can go to the draft.

Reactions: Derwin0
Being out in the middle of nowhere (ie, Blackburg) doesn't help either.

Those 757 people are probably more drawn to Maryland which actually inside the DC Beltway, or even the North Carolina schools which are closer to them.

Actually the NFL requires draft candidates to be 3 (not 2) years out of high school.

Which IMO is a good balance, as by that time, the player knows if they want to spend another year to get a degree, or if college was just a waste of time for them.

The NBA's 1 and done rule is far far worse.

If that is what the NFL requires then why are kids jumping out after their 2nd year when they are a Junior?
Something doesn't add up.

We lost our star QB after 1 year which IMO as good as he was his heart wasn't in VT. Now we got another Jr college QB joining that came from Nebraska and one other to fight for the starting job next year with red shirt freshman we have. Loss of both Hodges and Ford is going to hurt too..just hope Fuente can recruit good in receivers too.

If that is what the NFL requires then why are kids jumping out after their 2nd year when they are a Junior?
Something doesn't add up.

We lost our star QB after 1 year which IMO as good as he was his heart wasn't in VT. Now we got another Jr college QB joining that came from Nebraska and one other to fight for the starting job next year with red shirt freshman we have. Loss of both Hodges and Ford is going to hurt too..just hope Fuente can recruit good in receivers too.
Its 3 years out of High School, not 3 years in College ..
Due to the depth at Ohio State, often times you'll have players redshirt, then come in the next year as a back up and the 3rd year as a starter and then go Pro, they actually only started 1 year in that instance ... I believe thats what happened with DB Hooker and maybe some others of late.

Sometimes a young guy will break in in his first year, Bosa was that way, Von Bell too played as Freshman, Urban theory is if your good enough as a Freshman, you'll play ... I don't think he follows that rule very well though. Some, but there have been others that should have had more playing time than they got, but it would have taken time away from someone else as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts