2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

...IF they were smart, they would play the Championship game on a Saturday night ... which they currently won't due to the NFL games going on.

Championship game on a Monday Night, can it be ANY stupider ?
No one can attend any parties on a work night ...
Agree 100%. I suppose bowl cities with viable NFL playoff teams don’t want a venue conflict, but having this game on a Monday night sure cramps the college football fan’s style.

I see that a lot, but personally I want as much college football as I can get. I often enjoy some of these lesser bowls, as often you will find some great games in them. Even if they don’t mean anything.

I enjoy them as well, but teams should at least be above .500 to be bowl eligible, which would benefit smaller schools that want to be there. Look at Mississippi State for instance. They shouldn’t have been in that game against Louisville yesterday. They were a bad .500 team, and likely would’ve had a losing season had it not been for an idiot faking a leak on the goalpost (I’m still laughing ).

• Haha
Reactions: Ronnie-
I agree - apparently bowls are still money makers for the host city.
I doubt it ....
Years ago they were showing crowds and if you put them all together you would be lucky to cover both endzones ....
Notice they rarely ever show the whole stadium on these lesser bowls.
Also, more often than not ... the participating teams take a loss.

Making money for the Host city ?
Maybe a little, but thats debatable.

Agree 100%. I suppose bowl cities with viable NFL playoff teams don’t want a venue conflict, but having this game on a Monday night sure cramps the college football fan’s style.
This year is a prime example as the Championship game is in New Orleans (basically a home game for LSU, but thats another story) on Monday night and If the Saints manage to take care of the Vikings (and they should, but didn't last year) they will have a home game that same Sat or Sunday ...
You can HOPE that the NFL has enough brains to make them a Sat game.

I enjoy them as well, but teams should at least be above .500 to be bowl eligible, which would benefit smaller schools that want to be there. Look at Mississippi State for instance. They shouldn’t have been in that game against Louisville yesterday. They were a bad .500 team, and likely would’ve had a losing season had it not been for an idiot faking a leak on the goalpost (I’m still laughing ).
I agree .... why have a .500 team in a bowl, did they really have a worthy season ?
I know someone is going to say, well, if you were under .500 the year before thats an improvement.
Just because you improved doesn't mean you had a Bowl worthy season.

I doubt it ....
Years ago they were showing crowds and if you put them all together you would be lucky to cover both endzones ....
Notice they rarely ever show the whole stadium on these lesser bowls.
Also, more often than not ... the participating teams take a loss.

Making money for the Host city ?
Maybe a little, but thats debatable.
They aren’t making money from the ticket sales. It’s mainly from sponsorships and advertising. Or so I’ve read in the past.

This year is a prime example as the Championship game is in New Orleans (basically a home game for LSU, but thats another story) on Monday night and If the Saints manage to take care of the Vikings (and they should, but didn't last year) they will have a home game that same Sat or Sunday ...
You can HOPE that the NFL has enough brains to make them a Sat game.

If the Saints beat the Vikings they play Green Bay at Green Bay.

I agree that there are too many bowl games now.. and the problem is only going to get worse. The NCAA has approved three new bowl games for next year, meaning as many as 84 teams will get a trip to a bowl game:

Last year, the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee approved the addition of a maximum of three new bowl games. Starting in 2020, a record 43 bowls – including the College Football Playoff title game – will be played, meaning a record 65 percent of the 130 FBS schools (84 teams) will play in a bowl.

Fenway Park, home of Major League Baseball’s Boston Red Sox, has a capacity of 37,305 during the day and 37,755 at night. The stadium has hosted football games since “at least 1916”, per Wikipedia.

The most recent college football game played at Fenway Park was the annual Harvard-Yale game on Nov. 17, 2018. Other schools that have played at Fenway Park include Boston College, Notre Dame, Dartmouth, Brown, and Boston University.

The new Los Angeles bowl game will pit teams from the Pac-12 and the Mountain West at the new Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park. The stadium will be the new home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers.

Also debuting in 2020 is the Myrtle Beach Bowl. It will be played at Coastal Carolina’s Brooks Stadium and will match teams from Conference USA, Mid-American Conference (MAC), and Sun Belt Conference. Each conference will participate in the bowl up to four times between 2020 and 2025.

If they're going to have this many they need to at least come up with some sort of qualifying system for placing them aside from where they finish in their conference. Only a few bowls are even competitive nowadays.

Reactions: Jimbo
I personally don't mind the meaningless bowl games nobody forces anyone to watch. The schools make money teams get better with more practice time and fans have a reason to keep supporting and going to games hoping for a bowl chance. I think it's ridiculous to say only the best teams deserve a bowl game.

Tonight is the Orange Bowl. Who made out this schedule? Why aren't these big games all on New Years Day like they used to be.
Because ESPN owns almost all of them. They want them spread out during the later part of December in order to fill up their programming (which is also why there are so many of them), as opposed to the old days when the networks would all compete on New Years.

Because ESPN owns almost all of them. They want them spread out during the later part of December in order to fill up their programming (which is also why there are so many of them), as opposed to the old days when the networks would all compete on New Years.
This is what is watering them down. I remember New Years Day used to be wall to wall bowls on all of the major networks. And it was marquee schools.

If the Saints beat the Vikings they play Green Bay at Green Bay.
Something must have changed then .... they were talking about it potentially happening earlier.
Maybe it was the expecting the Lions to win the GB game that changed it.
I can't believe the Packers are a top seed ....

I personally don't mind the meaningless bowl games nobody forces anyone to watch. The schools make money teams get better with more practice time and fans have a reason to keep supporting and going to games hoping for a bowl chance. I think it's ridiculous to say only the best teams deserve a bowl game.
I prefer a team EARNS the right to go to a Bowl game .... 8-4 or better.

My Local team is usually pretty good, but not this year, finishing 6-6 and did NOT make a bowl game ... I'm glad they didn't, they didn't deserve to go.

I prefer a team EARNS the right to go to a Bowl game .... 8-4 or better.

My Local team is usually pretty good, but not this year, finishing 6-6 and did NOT make a bowl game ... I'm glad they didn't, they didn't deserve to go.

And they won't get better sitting at home nor does it help with recruiting by losing the exposure of a bowl game. So your ego gets satisfied while the coaching staff realizes the missed opportunity.

And they won't get better sitting at home nor does it help with recruiting by losing the exposure of a bowl game. So your ego gets satisfied while the coaching staff realizes the missed opportunity.
The addl. 15 practices should be allowed for all teams, regardless.
Other than that, they didn't deserve a bowl, nor did any other 6-6 teams ...

Were basically giving Participation Bowls, like when we were in grade school ... actually they didn't do that when I was in school, but do now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)