2019-20 NCAA Football Thread

We hear every year how teams didn't even break even ... how can those two things be right ?
He didn't say money for the teams. He said money. ESPN sells a lot of ads during those bowl games. Personally I love them. I do a couple of different bowl pools every year and I watch almost all of them (hate when there is more than one on at a time).

Reactions: Derwin0
What is with the date of the Championship game?

Was checking the listings this past weekend to see what time the game would be on Monday, but found that it's next Monday.

Prior years it was a one week break between the semi's and championship game, but this year it's two. :mad:

I don’t get this either. It’s not like they’d have a schedule conflict or anything. Has it been pushed this far back in the past?

There is some kind of convention in town. Everything was sold out. So they had to move it a week. That is what I heard on ESPNU radio.

I think it benefits Clemson. They can rest. That was a physical game they played. Both teams took some hay makers.
I don’t get this either. It’s not like they’d have a schedule conflict or anything. Has it been pushed this far back in the past?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: mccoyrj
There is some kind of convention in town. Everything was sold out. So they had to move it a week. That is what I heard on ESPNU radio.

I think it benefits Clemson. They can rest. That was a physical game they played. Both teams took some hay makers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!
I think it benefits Clemson as well. LSU is firing on all ten cylinders of a 8 cylinder engine.
Anything that might break the momentum they have is a benefit, even if it isn’t much of one.

I checked, every year prior it was only a week, 9 days at most.

This might explain it.

“When the College Football Playoff was created in 2013, the plan was to play this season’s semifinals on New Year’s Eve, a Tuesday. Under that plan, Monday Jan. 6 wasn’t an option for the championship game because that wouldn’t have provided the teams a full week between games. So the championship game was set for the following Monday, Jan. 13. (The CFP title games always are played on Monday nights.)

But after very disappointing TV ratings for the 2015 semifinals, the CFP management committee quickly abandoned its attempt to make the semis a New Year’s Eve tradition. The CFP changed the dates of four sets of semifinals that had been scheduled for New Year’s Eve, including this season’s, to the preceding Saturday. That shifted this season’s semis to Dec. 28, further lengthening the layoff before the title game.

At that point, the ideal corresponding move would have been to shift this season’s championship game to Jan. 6. The CFP looked at that possibility. But by then, it was too late to re-book all of the hotels and other venues that had been lined up in New Orleans based on the Jan. 13 date.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/why-was...me-played-last-night/AjzDafrtCRbmZ4DYoXUnwO/

Last edited:
Wish they would put it on a Saturday night instead, since I work the next day. But I'm guessing they did Monday due to NFL playoffs on Sat & Sun.

So since Sat is out of the question, I wish they'd do it on Friday. Monday sucks for a game like this, as I have to work the next day.

Reactions: Jimbo and mccoyrj
This might explain it.

When the College Football Playoff was created in 2013, the plan was to play this season’s semifinals on New Year’s Eve, a Tuesday. Under that plan, Monday Jan. 6 wasn’t an option for the championship game because that wouldn’t have provided the teams a full week between games. So the championship game was set for the following Monday, Jan. 13. (The CFP title games always are played on Monday nights.)

But after very disappointing TV ratings for the 2015 semifinals, the CFP management committee quickly abandoned its attempt to make the semis a New Year’s Eve tradition. The CFP changed the dates of four sets of semifinals that had been scheduled for New Year’s Eve, including this season’s, to the preceding Saturday. That shifted this season’s semis to Dec. 28, further lengthening the layoff before the title game.

At that point, the ideal corresponding move would have been to shift this season’s championship game to Jan. 6. The CFP looked at that possibility. But by then, it was too late to re-book all of the hotels and other venues that had been lined up in New Orleans based on the Jan. 13 date.

Why wasn’t Clemson-LSU title game played last night?
Yep, that is exactly it. I heard that for those two games in 2015 (which were both bad games) ESPN incurred over $100m in Advertising Deficiency Units (ADUs). That means that they promised a certain number of eyeballs to their advertisers and didn't deliver those eyeballs so they had to do it later on different events. That is a HUGE number.

Yep, that is exactly it. I heard that for those two games in 2015 (which were both bad games) ESPN incurred over $100m in Advertising Deficiency Units (ADUs). That means that they promised a certain number of eyeballs to their advertisers and didn't deliver those eyeballs so they had to do it later on different events. That is a HUGE number.
Their fault for putting the games on New Years Eve, a day many people go out in order to enjoy the New Years. They should have kept the games on New Years Day.

Of course both games being so lopsided didn't help.

Reactions: lakebum431
The long wait will surely cause rust. Plus I feel some of the public will lose interest. Won't be surprised to see low ratings again just not as bad as the New Year's Eve debacle.

Reactions: Derwin0 and osu1991
I checked, every year prior it was only a week, 9 days at most.
Part of that equation changes when the people that make the dates up keep moving the Semis around to find a fit ... Last year or the one before, they thought it was a good idea to have them on New Years EVE ....
Lowest ratings yet ... imagine that.
I think they did it right this time with being the weekend before the New Year ... Also no NFL Playoff games that early in the schedule for them.

IF they could make it so the Championship game was on a Sat evening ... they would make TONS more money ... people would be out partying much like the Super Bowl ... probably More than the SB.

College football fans are MUCH more Loyal than thier Pro counterparts.

Reactions: Derwin0
Wish they would put it on a Saturday night instead, since I work the next day. But I'm guessing they did Monday due to NFL playoffs on Sat & Sun.

So since Sat is out of the question, I wish they'd do it on Friday. Monday sucks for a game like this, as I have to work the next day.
I agree 1000 %.

I'm not near as bullish on LSU after the long layoff. As I suspected most in my circle weren't aware of the championship game being played tonight, I hope ratings suffer so they don't repeat this next year.

93c5da64fc326882440f6f28cc9a3e79.jpg

Stressful game, but my LSU Tigers defeat Clemson 42-25 for a perfect season (first one for me as an LSU fan). Clemson punched them in the mouth at the beginning of both halves. Not sure they would’ve recovered without Ohioan Joe Burrow. Guess I’ll have to root for the Bengals for sure now, especially living here in Cincy. Fun season!

• Wow
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Stressful game, but my LSU Tigers defeat Clemson 42-25 for a perfect season (first one for me as an LSU fan). Clemson punched them in the mouth at the beginning of both halves. Not sure they would’ve recovered without Ohioan Joe Burrow. Guess I’ll have to root for the Bengals for sure now, especially living here in Cincy. Fun season!
I may be a Burrow Fan, but I'm not rooting for the Bengals .... says the Steelers FAN !

The Bengals need a whole lot more than Burrow before they will be any good.

Congrats to the LSU Tigers.
Watching live the large blocks of commercials were just brutal. Learned our lesson once again. Normally we give around a 1 -hour buffer on games but last night decided to try it live. Speaking of brutal the Pac12 official's hands down are the worst.