2020 Dish Price Increases Announced

If you want to watch these channels in HD, you have to stream them through Dish Anywhere. In the Dish Anywhere Guide there is a switch at the top to toggle to show Live Stream channels. Then, select the channel you want to stream from the Guide.
Yes if you can get Dish Anywhere to work. By some of the posts on this forum it doesn't work or they can't log in etc.

I am looking for channel information for the Welcome Pack. Do you think I can find it on Dish's web site? They seem to have hidden it quite well. (EDIT: it appears to be "no longer for sale". Great.)

This will be my last downgrade before I finally cancel. These annual price increases are unsustainable.

2 years ago, streaming was $25. Today, it is anywhere from $55-$75 on average. And I am guessing it will only continue from there, especially when you have large “successful” streamers dropping out like PSVue.

2 years ago, streaming was $25. Today, it is anywhere from $55-$75 on average. And I am guessing it will only continue from there, especially when you have large “successful” streamers dropping out like PSVue.

For those going to a live service costs are still tons better then Traditional Services, especially if you add in box, Broadcast/ Local Sports, DVR and whatever we feel like charging you fees, Sling is still $25 ( Blue or Orange), Philo is $20, YTTV is still $50, Hulu live is $55 ( which includes regular Hulu, can be up to $15 more for enhanced services) and ATT Now is just messed up and everyone believes is about to be shut down, but the majority who cord cut do not go to those services, they go ( or already have) to just OTA, Netflix, etc.

Third Quarter losses were 1.7 million, but it has been reported that only about 500,000 went to a OTT service, that means that they were happy with Netflix, Disney, Hulu, Amazon, etc and whatever combination of those services.

That is what I did, Tablo (whole house DVR for locals), Hulu, Netflix and Disney+, total costs is about $30 a month ( have Amazon also but do not include it in the cost because it saves me money and time, have not had to buy one thing at stores for the holidays) and still I do not have time to watch all the content on those services which includes all the cable shows ( slight delay) I watched when I had Traditional Service, plus tons of 4K programming that TV Broadcasters and Providers are really dragging their feet on.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I am looking for channel information for the Welcome Pack. Do you think I can find it on Dish's web site? They seem to have hidden it quite well. (EDIT: it appears to be "no longer for sale". Great.)

This will be my last downgrade before I finally cancel. These annual price increases are unsustainable.
These annual price increases for Welcome Pack are unsustainable. For this year's increase, they went up $7 (comparing the old $22.99 everyday price for everyone with Welcome Pack to the new $29.99 price for non-grandfathered subscribers who signed up after this year's increase). Now, at the $25.99 rate for grandfathered subscribers, my increase would be $9 after next year's increase goes into effect, if I ever lost my grandfathering for any reason, going to $34.99 per month. (Even keeping the grandfathering, it is still a $5 increase to $30.99 per month.) Can someone please explain how the smallest package is costing Dish so much more money that they feel they can justify these outrageous increases?

For those who were wondering what channels are in Welcome Pack, here is the link: Request Rejected

Do not be fooled by that "no longer for sale" message. I think that is meant to discourage new subscribers from asking for it, but the package may still be available to existing subscribers who downgrade. Here is what a Dish Support representative said about the situation in the Welcome Pack thread:
Great question! When these packages are retired, some departments *may* have access to add them in extenuating circumstances, but as the eventual goal (as I said before, so far it's been a couple years) is probably to completely remove the package that will be highly discouraged, and most agents won't be able to add it.

- Phoenix

So, it does not hurt to ask about downgrading to Welcome Pack. Start by calling 1-888-496-1260 (Loyalty Department). If they cannot switch you to Welcome Pack, then ask them to transfer you to the Office of the President. As a last resort, you may have to threaten to cancel your service. At that point, they should be able to switch you to Welcome Pack if it is still at all possible for any agent to add that package to your account. Or, worst case scenario, you may have to actually cancel your service, and then get Dish to offer you Welcome Pack as a win-back offer after you cancel. If you really want Welcome Pack, don't give up on it so easily, just because the website says "no longer for sale."

Reactions: PasTypique
Any DVRd material, in the STB or EHD, will be lost once the account is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any DVRd material, in the STB or EHD, will be lost once the account is closed.
Even if the same account is later re-opened? The material is tied to the account, so as long as it retains the same account number, the recorded material should still be viewable. For that matter, I have transferred receivers from one of my accounts to the other one, and still had access to the recordings that were made while the receiver was on the previous account. I am not sure about recordings stored on an EHD compatible with a Hopper, but I have successfully done this with a Wally (which uses an EHD for its DVR functionality) and with recordings on the internal drive of a ViP DVR. Both of my accounts were still open at the time the receivers were transferred, though, so I am not sure what would have happened if one account had been closed first, before transferring the receivers. It may also help that my receivers were all purchased, not leased.

Well the DVR Service fees is what's eating me, so I figured I could sub to just about every channel or service seperately and watch on my my Roku and not only pay less, because I'm only getting the channels I want and can get locast for free or $5 per month as opposed to $12.00 and still not have to pay $22.00 per month, with that (H3 + Joey fees) I can get HBO Now and Disney+ and still save $1. per month. Then I don't also have to pay $1 RSN fee for a sports channel that I never watch. Going to miss my H3, but with all these price increases and DVR fees it just makes sense to get my channels directly.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Well the DVR Service fees is what's eating me, so I figured I could sub to just about every channel or service seperately and watch on my my Roku and not only pay less, because I'm only getting the channels I want and can get locast for free or $5 per month as opposed to $12.00 and still not have to pay $22.00 per month, with that (H3 + Joey fees) I can get HBO Now and Disney+ and still save $1. per month. Then I don't also have to pay $1 RSN fee for a sports channel that I never watch. Going to miss my H3, but with all these price increases and DVR fees it just makes sense to get my channels directly.
The DVR fees really are out of hand. I was going back through my old Dish bills recently, and it really makes me nostalgic for the old days. The DVR Service fee was only $5.98 per month, and that included service on TV2 for free as long as you kept your receiver connected to a phone line. (Granted, that TV2 output was standard-def only, but there was no fee, and you could still watch HD channels down-converted to SD on the second TV.) I know that some members here managed to get their DVR fee grandfathered at $7 per month, but other than those few lucky people, Dish does not have any DVR options (with built-in hard drives, anyway) priced anywhere close to that now.

The best you could do is use a Wally, purchase an external hard drive to go with it, and pay the one-time $40 fee to activate the DVR service. There used to be no monthly fee for that set-up, but now new subscribers pay a monthly fee on the first receiver on the account, if I remember correctly. To avoid the fee for the second TV, you could mirror the output of the Wally to go to both TV's, but then you are stuck only being able to watch one channel at a time.

Reactions: dishdude
For the Flex Pack, the $5 increase is 13.15%. So while $5 may not sound like much, percentage wise it is extremely high.

In anticipation of cancelling my Dish service due to this price increase, I purchased a Fire TV Recast (on sale for $130) and plan to try Philo for $20 a month. If it works well then this will save me $35 a month, considering the price of Flex Pack + their DVR fee and taxes.

Reactions: wormil
For the Flex Pack, the $5 increase is 13.15%. So while $5 may not sound like much, percentage wise it is extremely high.

In anticipation of cancelling my Dish service due to this price increase, I purchased a Fire TV Recast (on sale for $130) and plan to try Philo for $20 a month. If it works well then this will save me $35 a month, considering the price of Flex Pack + their DVR fee and taxes.
For Welcome Pack, the percentage increase is even higher than that.

I have been watching my old DVR recordings from two years ago, when Dish was still advertising for Flex Pack, and it was only $34.99 per month then. So, this will make a total of $8 in increases since then. At that time, Welcome Pack was still only $19.99 per month. Dish did not advertise for Welcome Pack, though. These massive increases for such small packages over such a short amount of time are really hard to justify. Either Dish was losing a ton of money on these packages at the old price, and they are just now trying to make up for the loss, or these packages must happen to contain the most expensive channels that Dish carries. Neither of those options seem very likely.

Does anyone know what is going on with the uplinks today? Dish just added a tag to local channels in various markets across the country. Is Dish about to introduce a Locals-only package, and perhaps this is Dish's way of phasing it in, market-by-market?

That would be cool, but I would have to think no only because it would have been listed in the price list. If they are uplinking now.

That would be cool, but I would have to think no only because it would have been listed in the price list. If they are uplinking now.
I have to disagree, because they may not want to list something that is not available yet, especially if it is not available everywhere. If they really have to phase this in for each local market in stages, it may take them many weeks before they finally get finished adding this tag to all of the local markets. That means that this process would not be completed until after the listed price changes go into effect, so Dish would not want to start advertising for the Locals-only package until after that. I think Dish is waiting to hear the backlash from Welcome Pack subscribers (and subscribers to other lower-tier packages, such as Flex Pack and Smart Pack) about the price increases. If there are enough complaints, then maybe Dish can start advertising some lower-priced options, such as Locals-only and Welcome Pack without locals.

Possible dispute with a couple of station groups.
I reported that uplink report earlier in another thread. I was referring to these uplink reports from earlier today:

Whatever they are doing, it looks like they are doing it to the entire local package for each market. So, this is not likely due to a dispute, but rather it is something completely different.

Edit: on closer inspection, it looks like this only affects PBS, ION, and some other smaller networks, not the major networks. Is it possible that Dish is going to start exporting these stations to other nearby markets that lack affiliates, rather than offer national feeds to those markets? The removal of the national feed of ION today is probably not a coincidence.

Those are mostly PBS, ION, Azteca and a few independent locals. Maybe they are adding some program data streams that were missing. Tags could mean anything, or nothing.

I wrote to Dish about the other packages and equipment fees not listed on Dish Info Center and the response was that all the other packages and fees will be staying the same price. Only the price changes are listed on Info Center.

Reactions: pattykay
Does anyone know what is going on with the uplinks today? Dish just added a tag to local channels in various markets across the country. Is Dish about to introduce a Locals-only package, and perhaps this is Dish's way of phasing it in, market-by-market?

Maybe it has something to do with the upcoming STELAR replacements requirements?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts