2020 Dish Price Increases Announced

I haven't read all the details yet either, but it does make changes in the way the locals are managed, so the uplink changes might be related to some preparations for that. Or not... ;)
Well, I hope it fixes the PBS situation, to allow Dish to carry the local affiliate in every community that is capable of receiving the OTA signal, regardless of the DMA boundary. Here in Mansfield, Ohio our local PBS affiliate is a low-power translator of WOSU Columbus. However, since Mansfield is in the Cleveland DMA, that means that we cannot get WOSU as part of the satellite local package. So, any time we might want to record any programming that is unique to that station, we are forced to use an OTA tuner instead of simply being able to use one of the satellite tuners. I have no issue with using an OTA tuner for a station that Dish does not carry at all. (That is what the OTA tuner is for.) However, since Dish does carry WOSU as part of the Columbus locals, this seems like a waste.

Furthermore, thanks to WOSU's full-power simulcast on WPBO Portsmouth (which was part of the Charleston-Huntington, WV DMA) this meant that WOSU's programming could be viewed as part of Dish's satellite local package in a significant portion of WV. (I am sure that the farthest reaches of that DMA probably could not even receive WPBO OTA reliably.) However, here just over the edge of the Columbus / Cleveland DMA boundary, where we actually have OTA signal from our in-town low-power translator of WOSU, Dish cannot offer that station to us. (I seem to remember WPBO being removed from Dish's Charleston-Huntington local package, so the above situation may no longer be the case. I remember thinking that the situation was very unfair at the time, though.)

Reactions: NYDutch
Checked Dish locals for Portsmouth,Charleston and Huntington shows WVPB now for PBS locals.I like having the RV account because it gives me the ability to choose which market I want.I have a wing dish on the 61.5 and spoof location on app.I have a list of spotbeams avilable and what DMA I receive.Nice of Dish giving the availability to change locals in the App

Checked Dish locals for Portsmouth,Charleston and Huntington shows WVPB now for PBS locals.I like having the RV account because it gives me the ability to choose which market I want.I have a wing dish on the 61.5 and spoof location on app.I have a list of spotbeams avilable and what DMA I receive.Nice of Dish giving the availability to change locals in the App
I like doing that too. Too bad there is no way to get both Cleveland and Columbus by satellite at the same time, though. That is the mix of channels I grew up watching on cable. Maybe the new STELAR regulations will make it easier for Dish to add Significantly Viewed stations to the local package. WBNS and WTTE from Columbus are on the FCC's Significantly Viewed List for Richland County, so adding those would make the local package a little bit closer to what I used to be able to get on cable.

I was looking back at the Dish main page and I noticed that they have made some changes in how they are advertising. Request Rejected

Now that Dish has added the RSN surcharge, you see the * and then the note that says some areas have a surcharge up to $3. And the comparisons in the chart are of AT120 so they can say there is no RSN fee.

I find it interesting that Dish would still use that as an advertising point given the fact that they only have 6 or 8 RSN's total and the percentage of the country those RSN's are in compared the entire country has to be minimal.

I was looking back at the Dish main page and I noticed that they have made some changes in how they are advertising. Request Rejected

Now that Dish has added the RSN surcharge, you see the * and then the note that says some areas have a surcharge up to $3. And the comparisons in the chart are of AT120 so they can say there is no RSN fee.

I find it interesting that Dish would still use that as an advertising point given the fact that they only have 6 or 8 RSN's total and the percentage of the country those RSN's are in compared the entire country has to be minimal.
It is possible that Dish is counting the college sports channels as RSN's, which means that the vast majority of the country is still served by at least one RSN on Dish. Even then though, Dish only seems to be adding the surcharge in the zip codes immediately surrounding where the schools in those conferences are located. That would explain the $1 surcharge in central Ohio, with no other RSN's being carried in this area.

Lol a $5 increase over last years big increase is just nuts....glad I got them locked in for a few years. Lack of content and with ESPN channels all available on youtube TV or OTR now pushing higher wattage in my area makes me just say hell with it when I can't get them to budge cheaper and ditch em.

Plan on buying an ATSC tuner/DVR in about five years. Just the way things are going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
I really don't think Orby is a joke..Yes you do have to buy the equipment for their system but I can assure you that people are paying for the equipment with Dish and DTV.. Your paying for it with the receiver fees..DVR fees.. I've spent thousands in the last 20+yrs in equipment like many here because it was a hobby..I remember all of us spending $500 + $129 module for the first 6000HD receiver just to watch Voom.. Now dish can get the equipment for probably less than $10 and everyone pays through their butt for receiver+DVR fees.Then there's the preferred customer joke just to keep you locked in for 2 more yrs.Look at what happened with RSN..Did anyone get money back? Tv all really depends on each individual and their needs..Some can't live without DVR..Some need News..Some Sports..I call Orby and took advantage of the single system offer of $125 installed..I will only need one more receiver which will be on sale again for $50 sometime so that gives me 2 rooms under $200.I don't think $200 is too much to spend when Dish gets that much in equipment fees In less than a yr.I will keep my Dish account for camping season only because I have to use the easter arc at our campsite..

I did not want fees, so I purchased my vip211k receiver, with the OTA module, and added the HDD, and spent $40 to have the DVR feature turned on years ago. So I only pay for programming no fees. I also locked into a 2 year deal to lock the price $20 off each month with no increases, so after the increase the savings will be $25 a month. So not bad. I looked around and could not find anything close to what I have with Dish, being with them for over 20 years now.

I still have probably a couple dozen BDs I bought during the war I’ve never gotten around to watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts