2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well lets just look back.

Last year was an anomaly, but 4 ranked in the top 10.
In 2019 it was5 in the top 15, with 3 other teams with 8-5 records.
In 2018 it was 6 in the top 16 with 2 more at 8-5.
In 2017 it was 3 in the top ten, two more in the top 20.
Another 5 ranked in 1018.

Its well established that the SEC is the strongest conference, top to bottom and has been for a while. Yes, they are also top heavy as well, even being strongest top to bottom.
Its also been well established that anytime an sec team is remotely any good they automatically get boosted up in the polls because they ARE the sec.

And the plot thickens.

The remnant Big 12 commissioner has accused ESPN of what can only be called a conspiracy theory (and not all conspiracy theories are false, this one just might be true, considering the players involved).

According to the theory, for several months, ESPN, which owns 100% of the AAC TV rights, has been working with two “unnamed” Big 12 members to move to the AAC. While unnamed, these are clearly West Virginia and Iowa State, the two teams with the least to offer to a new conference and thus the most likely to be lost in the shuffle.

Thus, with four teams applying to leave the league, the league’s contract apparently says it can just be declared “collapsed” and teams can leave without notice and without paying a exit fee.

ESPN gets Texas and Oklahoma more quickly. The AAC gets more money from ESPN, and two teams that have belonged at that level all along. WVU and ISU get a place to land where they can compete and absolve themselves of being left out. UT and OU get out of the Big 12 more quickly and don’t have to pay the exit fee $$.

Everybody wins.

Except Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Kansas, and Kansas State. And Fox.
Be interesting if the Big 12 sues ESPN over this. Discovery would be very interesting, as the schools involved and the SEC would have to turn over information, and if ESPN is found to have been complicit, it would be interference in the current ESPN/Big 12 contracts. Big 12 would still be dead, but it could be a big payday for their schools.

Its also been well established that anytime an sec team is remotely any good they automatically get boosted up in the polls because they ARE the sec.

Its also been well established that anytime Ohio State is remotely any good they automatically get boosted up in the polls because they ARE the Ohio State.

Reactions: Howard Simmons

Now the question will be how the SEC realigns.

• Put the 2 new teams into the West and shuffle the Alabama schools to the East?
  • Use this as an opportunity to split into 4 pods?
  • Forego divisions all together, giving each team a couple permanent opponents and rotating the rest (like the ACC does in Basketball), since divisions are no longer required to play a Championship game.

Now the question will be how the SEC realigns.

• Put the 2 new teams into the West and shuffle the Alabama schools to the East?
  • Use this as an opportunity to split into 4 pods?
  • Forego divisions all together, giving each team a couple permanent opponents and rotating the rest (like the ACC does in Basketball), since divisions are no longer required to play a Championship game.
Personally I like the pods idea the best, or at least how I have seen it presented.

Personally I like the pods idea the best, or at least how I have seen it presented.
Same here, back when it looked like the ACC might convince Notre Dame to join in football, they were looking at adding 1 more and going to pods, which would make a great South Pod (Ga Tech, Clempson, FSU, Miami).

The issue with the SEC going to pods, is how to do it, as teams like Alabama & Auburn have different traditional rivals (ex. Auburn/Georgia, Alabama/Tennessee).

Scheduling though, Pods are great in a 9 game season. Play your pod mates every years, and all the other teams every other year.

Rather than “pods” an idea that several SEC commentators have posited is that each school would have three “protected games” meaning they would have 3 schools that each would play every year, and then the remaining 12 would be a rotation system. For the core schools, the three protected games would be the long time rivals.

For example, Tennessee would play Alabama, Kentucky and Vandy every year, and the 12 teams would be in a rotation.

Rather than “pods” an idea that several SEC commentators have posited is that each school would have three “protected games” meaning they would have 3 schools that each would play every year, and then the remaining 12 would be a rotation system. For the core schools, the three protected games would be the long time rivals.
That's what the ACC does for Basketball, each team has 3 perm partners (ie, they do a home & home series) with no divisions.

Due to the meriad of traditional rivals that the SEC has, it's probably the best way for them to do it. Since the NCAA no longer requires division for a championship game, no real need for divisions.

Go to a 9 game schedules, play the 3 rivals every year, and the other teams every other year.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I'm really concerned about this Name Image and Likeness (NIL) thing going on.

College football as we know it has forever changed.

Coming to Ohio State we have a kid that (is Very good mind you) has decided that skipping his senior year in HS is the way to go (he could win the State Championship mind you) , this way he can make a million (numbers up for debate) dollars by starting College as a Freshman QB.

The problem for Ohio State is that they now have 2-5 star and 2- 4 star QB's in the QB room with little or no experience, none of them have thrown a pass in College.

I'm thinking that 2 of the 4 will transfer at some point.

It really creates a mess seeing the guy coming in has also decided that he becomes a class younger. They essentially have an extra player in the current class than they would have had.

Btw, every other team in college would love to have the guy .... is why he can get away with it.

Heres hoping hes as good as they all think he is. (they say he's the next Trevor Lawrence, we'll see)

I'm really concerned about this Name Image and Likeness (NIL) thing going on.

College football as we know it has forever changed.

You mean giving 18-20 year olds power and money without any rules is not a good idea?? What could go wrong
I can hear it now….”coach I can’t make the meeting today I’ve got an obligation with my NIL”

You mean giving 18-20 year olds power and money without any rules is not a good idea?? What could go wrong
I can hear it now….”coach I can’t make the meeting today I’ve got an obligation with my NIL”
And people don't like the "Divas" already in the NFL, can't wait till they get there now, knowing that they ALREADY have MONEY.

RIP::crying:crying
R.png

Preseason coaches poll is out.

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Ohio State
  5. Georgia
  6. Texas A&M
  7. Notre Dame
  8. Iowa State
  9. North Carolina
  10. Cincinnati
  11. Florida
  12. Oregon
  13. LSU
  14. USC
  15. Wisconsin
  16. Miami
  17. Indiana
  18. Iowa
  19. Texas
  20. Penn State
  21. Washington
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. Louisiana
  24. Coastal Carolina
  25. Ole Miss

That's from last year's poll when they ended the season. Let's wait till they play before saying anything.
Well, it is the preseason poll, and they do put it out every season.

Of course it will shuffle, as its just a best guess, and mainly to drive up excitement before week 1 kickoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)