2021-22 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Australian Rules Football, I can think of no sport that does it that way.

But the question for college football, is, of course, why have playoffs at all? Play the greatest and most meaningful regular season in all of sports, have a bowl game, and pick a champion, if you must, by polls, understanding that many dozens of teams will have “good seasons” by whatever measure they have. Rather than a grinding ESPN tournament that produces 1 winner and 132 losers.
They already did that for many years ... before the BCS became a thing.

Again, money.

Those bowls make money for ESPN (who owns almost all of them) and the conferences.
The MAJORITY of Bowl games do NOT make money ...
You hear after those bowls that a bunch of teams Lost money and need to find the money for the travel bills.

You hear after those bowls that a bunch of teams Lost money and need to find the money for the travel bills.
Yes and no. While most don't make money, the one's that do cover that amount. And most importantly (for them) it fills ESPN's schedule.

Just think of the smaller one's as "loss leaders". If they weren't owned by ESPN they wouldn't survive, but since they serve no other purpose than to fill ESPN's winter schedule they continue to exist.

The majority of bowl games BELONG to ESPN Events, 18 of them. Disney is certainly a profitable outfit. They pay for two teams to have a nice reward in, generally, a nice warm place (the northern bowls should be ashcaned). No harm, no foul, don’t want to watch, there is hockey over on the other channel. A nice system where a team can say things like:

“We went 9-3, and won the Gator Bowl”

Rather than:

“We went 9-3, again, and didn’t make the playoffs, again.”

Reactions: Derwin0
Yes and no. While most don't make money, the one's that do cover that amount. And most importantly (for them) it fills ESPN's schedule.

Just think of the smaller one's as "loss leaders". If they weren't owned by ESPN they wouldn't survive, but since they serve no other purpose than to fill ESPN's winter schedule they continue to exist.
They really need to cut the Bowl games down to about 20 teams (outside of playoff games).
You'd get better games and better viewing numbers with better teams/games.

The majority of bowl games BELONG to ESPN Events, 18 of them. Disney is certainly a profitable outfit. They pay for two teams to have a nice reward in, generally, a nice warm place (the northern bowls should be ashcaned). No harm, no foul, don’t want to watch, there is hockey over on the other channel. A nice system where a team can say things like:

“We went 9-3, and won the Gator Bowl”

Rather than:

“We went 9-3, again, and didn’t make the playoffs, again.”
9-3 is fine ... its when your 6-6 and going to a bowl game that annoys me.
Lets make Bowl games something to shoot for, not a constellation game.

Personally, and I've said it before ... if your not at least 2 games over .500, you don't go to a Bowl game.

I know that would never happen as you would no know how many games would be being played until after the final game, but come on, I don't want to see a .500 team playing in a bowl game.

I remember when Notre Dame would turn down a bowl game if they weren't playing for #1 in the polls.

They really need to cut the Bowl games down to about 20 teams (outside of playoff games).
You'd get better games and better viewing numbers with better teams/games.
I'm not arguing against that, and agree completely.

The issue is that as long as they're profitable for ESPN, then ESPN will keep having them.

Alliance announced, but really short of any pertinent details.

Based on some of the reporting though, the alliance will block the playoff expansion.

It also appears the alliance isn't only against the SEC, but ESPN as well.
Agree. Although “keep in check” is probably a better word that “against” ESPN. Consider that the ACC has only one TV deal (except for a minor syndication package owned by Gray TV) and that is with ESPN and that runs through the 36 season. ESPN also owns the ACCN, just like it owns the SECN.

Meanwhile the Pac 12 and Big 10 have 50-50 contracts with both companies.

It seems what they want to do is keep the playoff expansion from happening until the 26 season, as ESPN owns it up until then. They would like to see what happens on the free market. In the longer run, they seem to want to prevent ESPN from doing what it has done with so many leagues and sports at all levels.

9-3 is fine ... its when your 6-6 and going to a bowl game that annoys me.
Lets make Bowl games something to shoot for, not a constellation game.

Personally, and I've said it before ... if your not at least 2 games over .500, you don't go to a Bowl game.
You seem to not understand the reason for most of the bowl games, money. The people running the Bowl Games don't care about the winner, it is about the money. The teams playing don't care about who wins, it is about maybe a little money and tv exposure for more money. The sponsors... want exposure for more money. The stadium owners don't care who plays or who wins, but how many tickets were purchased (not how many people attended), again for the money.

Almost nothing exists in College Football that has to do with competition, fairness, and the sustainability of the sport. It only has to do with money. This is why the colleges shifted conferences, why the 'alliance' was put forth with the non-SEC conferences. Amateur College Football couldn't be any less a lie without paying the players million dollar contracts.

Alliance announced, but really short of any pertinent details.

Based on some of the reporting though, the alliance will block the playoff expansion.

It also appears the alliance isn't only against the SEC, but ESPN as well.
Basically they announced that they may do something together, possibly, at some point, in the future. Maybe.

It couldnt have been a bigger nothing burger announcement. At least for now.

Honestly, I look for more teams to shuffle to new homes before this gains any real traction, and this announcement, such that it was, will amount to even less than it does today.

You seem to not understand the reason for most of the bowl games, money. The people running the Bowl Games don't care about the winner, it is about the money. The teams playing don't care about who wins, it is about maybe a little money and tv exposure for more money. The sponsors... want exposure for more money. The stadium owners don't care who plays or who wins, but how many tickets were purchased (not how many people attended), again for the money.

Almost nothing exists in College Football that has to do with competition, fairness, and the sustainability of the sport. It only has to do with money. This is why the colleges shifted conferences, why the 'alliance' was put forth with the non-SEC conferences. Amateur College Football couldn't be any less a lie without paying the players million dollar contracts.
Then why do they even bother with them ... If they are all lower end teams, many are, fans are not coming to the game (definitely not a sell out) ...
If teams don't care about the outcome of the game, then why play the Championship games ......

If you told these people that the game outcome doesn't matter, teams would not play.

Sure its about money, but its also for the right to show how good your team and players are.

Sure its about money, but its also for the right to show how good your team and players are.
Once upon a time it was, but that changed with the proliferation of minor bowls (whose sole reason for existence is ESPN programming time), the BCS, and the CFP. Now bowls that aren't in the playoff are meaningless with teams not caring if they win or lose (or even about being there).

Once upon a time it was, but that changed with the proliferation of minor bowls (whose sole reason for existence is ESPN programming time), the BCS, and the CFP. Now bowls that aren't in the playoff are meaningless with teams not caring if they win or lose (or even about being there).
Hmmm, thats what I've been saying all along ...

• Haha
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Watched the games at a cigar store this weekend. We mostly keep the sound off, because we have a metric s***ton of TVs. Watched the UCLA-Hawaii game from the Rose Bowl. Nobody much was there, but I figured this was a C***D19 deal.

I was wrong. Woke up this morning and looked through my morning reads, and, full capacity was available. Announced crowd was 38K, actual crowd is estimated under 20K, for UCLA’s lowest live gate in history.

Yes, the Rose Bowl is 25 miles off campus, and Hawaii is a really bad football team (although most Hawaii natives that have moved to the mainland live in SoCal or Las Vegas) but 20K for opening day? Wow.

Watched the games at a cigar store this weekend. We mostly keep the sound off, because we have a metric s***ton of TVs. Watched the UCLA-Hawaii game from the Rose Bowl. Nobody much was there, but I figured this was a C***D19 deal.

I was wrong. Woke up this morning and looked through my morning reads, and, full capacity was available. Announced crowd was 38K, actual crowd is estimated under 20K, for UCLA’s lowest live gate in history.

Yes, the Rose Bowl is 25 miles off campus, and Hawaii is a really bad football team (although most Hawaii natives that have moved to the mainland live in SoCal or Las Vegas) but 20K for opening day? Wow.
It will take a few hours to get to the Rose Bowl, but people know that ahead of time, so thats no excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts